Memorial Green: Residential At 12525 Memorial Dr.

Mab

I think this might be on Memorial Drive directly across from Fresh Market. I think Houston Methodist owns the empty lot there and this matches the description I've heard of what will be going on that lot. This is almost pure speculation so take it with a grain of salt.

It was briefly mentioned via the link in the BLVD Place thread 

in December by the Midway Co's CEO that they would be announcing a residential component to Greenstreet downtown and this Memorial Green development not too far from City Centre this month.

He started to speak in depth about upcoming mixed-use developments around Houston at the 12:45 minute mark and specifically mentioned this Memorial Green project (a joint venture with Methodist near Lantern Ln and Memorial Dr.) around the 15 minute mark.

It was briefly mentioned via the link in the BLVD Place thread

back in December by the Midway Co's CEO that they would be announcing a residential component to Greenstreet downtown and this Memorial Green development not too far from City Centre this month.

He started to speak in depth about upcoming mixed-use developments around Houston at the 12:45 minute mark and specifically mentioned this Memorial Green project (a joint venture with Methodist near Lantern Ln and Memorial Dr.) around the 15 minute mark.

He was probably alluding to the hotel component(Hotel Alessandra) that we have been hearing about for a few months. Although a residential component would be awesome, it's doubtful at this time since their focus is on the hotel. On a side note I kind of wish Midway bad built Greenstreet from scratch following their success with City Centre. Just feel like they would have included all 4 components the first time around, with a taller office tower.

most enlightening.  i am a bit skeptical as per the inclusion of "multi family" as per "greenstreet" per se.  although, this particular component would indeed be most welcome as per downtown.

nontheless, midway corp's prospective announcement as per "hotel alessandra" which should be forthcoming soon...   should certainly enhance that particular "mixed use" venue.   good times are indeed around the corner...   thank you for sharing. 

in December by the Midway Co's CEO that they would be announcing a residential component to Greenstreet downtown and this Memorial Green development not too far from City Centre this month.

If he mentioned Lantern Lane then it is definitely the lot across Memorial from Fresh Market.

Yeah he was definitely referring to Hotel Alessandra at Greenstreet which even though it's a hotel its still considered a residential component because people "reside" there, if only for one night. :)

But I get your point.  

Good find.  Thanks for posting. 

To clarify, hotels are not considered "residential".  They are typically referred to as "hospitality."  He actually never said they would be announcing a residential project.  He said they believe good mixed use projects need three uses and they would would be making an announcement in the next 60 days about a third use for GreenStreet.  He never specified what the third use would be.  So, yes, one presumes it will be hospitality -- Hotel Allesandra.

after watching, i feel comfortable / confident that greenstreet will be somewhat of a success. I agree if Midway did it from the beginning, it would have been even better.

Did anyone else catch the areas on the graph in terms of - stabalizing market / rising market / peaking market / falling market /

--- he mentioned Midtown as stabilizing - which to me means that in the past it wasnt an ideal place to invest, and now it looks "stable" with a steady stream of investment. I would take this to mean there could be a boom in this area in the future. with all of the mid-rise residentual, i can absolutely see this area take off and go up (highrises) in due time!

Also, he mentioned the kind of employee companies are hiring. Id like to think i am an example of that. I prefer exactly what he said - mixed use, good area, lots of diversity. I work downtown and love it. Companies building outside of the beltway are catering to a different crowd then me and my fellow 30 and unders. We will see if it is a fad or not, but my guess is downtown will remain strong if not explode in popularity with the boomers leaving and gen x / y coming in.

after watching, i feel comfortable / confident that greenstreet will be somewhat of a success. I agree if Midway did it from the beginning, it would have been even better.

Did anyone else catch the areas on the graph in terms of - stabalizing market / rising market / peaking market / falling market /

--- he mentioned Midtown as stabilizing - which to me means that in the past it wasnt an ideal place to invest, and now it looks "stable" with a steady stream of investment. I would take this to mean there could be a boom in this area in the future. with all of the mid-rise residentual, i can absolutely see this area take off and go up (highrises) in due time!

agreed. it would of been interesting to see how Midway developed GreenStreet if they owned if from the start.

who owns the block just across from HOB/GreenStreet at Polk, Dallas, Caroline, and Austin? with the bars/single story building on the northwest corner.. seems like that would be a logical place to buy up if Midway ever wanted to expand GreenStreet another block. they could put the residential component there. or maybe the current building is strong enough to build a residential high rise on top of a portion of it, like they are able to do with the new hotel? maybe over LuckyStrike Lanes? then they would have a high/mid rise on top of each of the 3 sections. above HOB might be too loud?

that would be cool but i doubt midtown will ever be a high rise mecca. there arent many large plots of land there for development, especially near the rail line. maybe the Mid Main high rise will start a new trend though and the few remaining lots will build up?

That block is parceled up between 5 or 6 unrelated owners.

Damn. I guess it makes sense given that there are multiple separate buildings and parking lots on that block. Maybe midway could make an attempt buying up the majority of the block and building around the holdout(s), a la Hines Southmore.

Watching that video, it's incredible just how huge the proportion is of new office development in the Energy Corridor. Makes it seem like the real downtown of Houston is somewhere around I-10 and Kirkwood. If all of that interest were shifted back towards the central city, Houston's downtown would be practically doubling its skyline, like 1980 all over again. Of course, that is not going to happen. But - there is a generational shift in interest towards living in the central city that I think has yet to register significantly in terms of where things are built, because the people leading these companies and making decisions are still by-and-large the baby boomers, who have downtown's old negative reputation still ingrained in their minds (just like, in 1980, the people making decisions still had an earlier, more positive view of downtown ingrained in their minds, even as the new generation saw it as unpleasant and a hassle). I think in coming decades we will a significant shift of interest back towards downtown, that will make today's office mini-boom there seem like small potatoes.

Damn. I guess it makes sense given that there are multiple separate buildings and parking lots on that block. Maybe midway could make an attempt buying up the majority of the block and building around the holdout(s), a la Hines Southmore.

I would hate to see those little commercial buildings torn down.

They're beautiful and have pretty strong tenants.

I would hate to see those little commercial buildings torn down.

They're beautiful and have pretty strong tenants.

didnt realize the buildings had much visual appeal. i was just looking at them from satellite view. just checked them out on street view and they are kind of neat. its only on less than a quarter of the block.. Midway could keep that building (and the tenants) while continuing the alley way/corridor through the middle of that block too. that Front Row Tickets building can go though.. ha

^^^ including my two favorite bars   :)

in order to build the hotel, part of the existing structure will probably have to come down- the part next to Forever 21 where they Skyhouse leasing office currently sits.

that building could stay, and the tenants hang around. or they could rebuild the building/shuffle those tenants into other spaces in GreenStreet while its u/c. it would just be cool to see a residential component to this project one day, and continuing the complex to the east seems most logical (unless they redeveloped their garage and built a residential tower on top of that).

good point.. that makes sense.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived