2015 Houston Mayor's race

Blue Dogs

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To put it more kindly, Bell draws about the same amount of interest as rice pudding.

What do you have against rice pudding?! I think it's good, especially with a bit of cinnamon. That's what I would probably go for at HEB next time, if I wasn't faced with a bout of suspected food poisoning. :(

Nothing really against rice pudding, Tige... I've been known to have some myself.  It's just not in the same full flavored category as a nice Italian cream cake or a fresh peach pie or perhaps some Napoleons.

Yeah, I saw that.  No big surprise that he's taking another shot at it, even though running against Parker last year was a fool's errand.  Who knows - maybe he'll get a bit more traction this time. 

Mollusk, Purple Devil, etc., the Houston Chronicle reporting that outgoing 3-term Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst ®, who leaves office on January 20th, says he's considering running for Houston Mayor in 2015.

Here in San Antonio, State Senator Leticia Van de Putte (D-San Antonio) & State Rep. Mike Villarreal (D-San Antonio), both are eyeing campaigns for Mayor in the Alamo City.

It's going to be interesting to see all these guys who actually held office joining the ranks of the perennial losers like Grif Griffin or Harold Stassen.

I'm not as familiar with San Antonio politics, but I can certainly see how if Sen. Van de Putte was getting frustrated with forcing the Dew to acknowledge her, she would have no interest whatsoever in what is likely to be the Dan Patrick Clown Car Show.  Likewise, graduating from minority party state rep to a larger constituency and more responsibility would be a step up, and a natural way to broaden one's base.

Yesterday, on KPRC-TV's "Houston Newswatchers" show, former Kemah Mayor William King [R] talked about his new autobiography, "Unapologetically Moderate" & was asked about his plans for the Houston Mayor's contest in 2015, King says he'll consider making a run.

• 3 weeks later...

We can now cross off the following people from the 2015 Mayoral campaign, who've said they're NOT running:

1.) Texas Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst [R]: leaves office on January 20th.

2.) Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia [D]: ongoing scandal in the county jails on the news lately. Plus, he'd have to resign.

3.) Harris County Treasurer Orlando Sanchez [R]: would have to resign in order to run.

4.) Houston City Councilman At-Large 4 C.O. Bradford (D): term-limited from the Council. But will he run for Harris County DA in 2016 or Harris County Judge in 2018 when Emmett retires after 11 1/2 years in office ?

5.) Houston City Councilman Michael Kubosh [R]

6.) METRO Chairman Gilbert Garcia (D).

The Houston Chronicle believes the likely candidates will be Sylvester Turner, Ben Hall, Stephen Costello, Chris Bell, Bill King, Marty McVey (I so wanted to type McFly), and Sean Roberts. I don't see McVey or Roberts making it past the runoff. I think it'll mostly likely be a runoff between Turner and Bell come next December.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/A-dozen-candidates-actively-weighing-mayoral-bids-5953836.php#/0

The Houston Chronicle believes the likely candidates will be Sylvester Turner, Ben Hall, Stephen Costello, Chris Bell, Bill King, Marty McVey (I so wanted to type McFly), and Sean Roberts. I don't see McVey or Roberts making it past the runoff. I think it'll mostly likely be a runoff between Turner and Bell come next December.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/A-dozen-candidates-actively-weighing-mayoral-bids-5953836.php#/0

If that scenario happens, I'm thinking Turner could win based on huge minority turnout.

• 3 weeks later...

Hall's mistake is bragging on himself too much....he constantly brags on Harvard and Duke on his ads....who freaking cares...the vote you're seeking to win does not have ties to those schools

Then he lives in Memorial...he's not in-tune with the day-to-day person in Houston...I know where Turner lives as he can at least identify with a large segment of folks outside the loop  that will be crucial to his chances

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget http://oliverpennington.com/

Whoever is going to be the next mayor, priority number one is further diversifying Houston's economy. While we are avoiding a full crash and going into more of slow period due to Houston becoming more diversified especially with Medical it isn't quite there yet. I believe to truly push itself into an elite category and insure continuing growth we need a third major industry.

The best scenario is positioning Houston as the capital for a new private Space industry. Then you would have a powerful trinity of Space, Medical, and Energy that would be hard to beat and all of those are markets which will be dominate in the future.

I'm also quite surprised that we haven't become a key location for electronics or software when we have so much usable space, and we are at a centralized location and have one of the worlds largest ports. I imagine that to attract Software and Electronic companies though Houston would need to tweak it's overall corporate culture and political culture as well. While Houston has certainly been a more liberal city in recent years it's population is still very conservative. I still think it could be great place for this market though. This could create another powerful trinity of Medical, Software/Electronics, and Energy.

Once again, whoever becomes mayor, this should be priority one.

Whoever is going to be the next mayor, priority number one is further diversifying Houston's economy. While we are avoiding a full crash and going into more of slow period due to Houston becoming more diversified especially with Medical it isn't quite there yet. I believe to truly push itself into an elite category and insure continuing growth we need a third major industry.

The best scenario is positioning Houston as the capital for a new private Space industry. Then you would have a powerful trinity of Space, Medical, and Energy that would be hard to beat and all of those are markets which will be dominate in the future.

I'm also quite surprised that we haven't become a key location for electronics or software when we have so much usable space, and we are at a centralized location and have one of the worlds largest ports. I imagine that to attract Software and Electronic companies though Houston would need to tweak it's overall corporate culture and political culture as well. While Houston has certainly been a more liberal city in recent years it's population is still very conservative. I still think it could be great place for this market though. This could create another powerful trinity of Medical, Software/Electronics, and Energy.

Once again, whoever becomes mayor, this should be priority one.

In other words, cleaning up Parker's mess!

Interesting response. I actually think Parker has been one of best mayors we've had.

Parker has said she'll push to modify term limits on citywide officeholders before she heads out of City Hall. I'd prefer 12 years (3 4-year terms similar to Denver, CO).

Parker has said she'll push to modify term limits on citywide officeholders before she heads out of City Hall. I'd prefer 12 years (3 4-year terms similar to Denver, CO).

I'd like to see no more than 8. Certainly less than Eastern cities that allowed mayors to stay in power for decades (Young, Menino, Daley)

I hate term limits. If someone is doing a great job and the voters want to vote them back into office over and over again, then why the hell not?

The entire time I lived in Boston, Menino was mayor. While I didn't love everything he did, he was wildly popular and proved to be a very successful mayor. The biggest sign of his success? After decades of losing population, today's Boston has 75,000 more people living in it than when he took office in 1993. The city truly transformed. It is a much safer place too. 

We've had term limits since forever.

They're called "elections."  As an example, some were annoyed at how long Kathy Whitmire remained mayor, and thus put term limits on the ballot, successfully.  She ran for re election on the same ballot, and lost.

We've had term limits since forever.

They're called "elections." As an example, some were annoyed at how long Kathy Whitmire remained mayor, and thus put term limits on the ballot, successfully. She ran for re election on the same ballot, and lost.

Don't forget about Mike "The Hypocrite" Bloomberg [R/Ind], who served 12 consecutive years as NYC Mayor from 2002-2014 or the late Maynard Jackson (D), who served as Atlanta, GA Mayor from 1974-1982; 1990-1994.

Archived