One Bayou Park At 110 Bagby St.

WestGrayGuy

I think this is the name of the property. It is a loft conversion that is adjacent to 45 downtown. It is an old hotel that was developed into lofts I believe. It has green colored glass with one pane broken out. It also has a bronze star on the white colored limestone.

I have not heard anything about its current status. Anyone have a clue? It's a shame to have it sit empty.

Found this reference:

"The former Tennison Hotel will be converted into lofts. One Bayou Place will have 27 units in the seven-story building." (Real Estate Center website, circa 2001 - link )

also:"Across the street, to the north, is the One Bayou Park building, still under construction. It is an interesting renovation of the Tennison Hotel. The Tennison Hotel, built in the early 1920's, was a 'railroad station hotel' serving business travelers arriving by train at the nearby Grand Central Station. It was one of several hotels designed by architect Joseph Finger, including the William Penn Hotel, the Texas State Hotel, the Auditorium Hotel, and the DeGeorge Hotel. As passenger train business declined, the hotel died. Prior to the conversion to upscale apartments and office space in 2000, the building had been vacant since the 1970's." Link with picture

As an aside, I think this was the building which once was featured in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. When it was built, an order was placed for just enough bricks to build the place, and they came up ONE brick short. A few years ago, it was a major eyesore as you entered downtown on 45.

• 4 months later...

the name was changed to One Bayou Park and the project changed back to a "boutique hotel" in late 2001. The name changed again to the Theater Hotel, but no work has been done to it since they changed their minds on its use, and i doubt a hotel is a good idea now with the new huge one on the south side of downtown.

as an aside, the domain onebayoupark.com was listed as the company's development site, but it isn't up anymore and network solutions has it for sale again.

the yellow pages list a Theater Hotel at 110 Bagby, (713) 223-0909, but it just goes to voicemail and no one ever returns the messages. Googling the number shows, strangely, that it belongs to a Japanese restaurant called Azuma, as well as a company called Downtown Bayou Corp, and a One Bayou Park but with an address in Rosenburg, TX...

that is a VERY old photo. the leasing sign is long gone, chain link and barbed wire have been put in the parking garage window openings, and there are several windows busted out both on this side and the one facing the highway...

... and for some reason, now it looks like the jacuzzi baths they planned on installing are all right up against the windows.

they also just opened that new george h.w. bush park across the street from it... i bet the new lofty parts of the building have a gorgeous view of the skyline and the park right under them.

EDIT: I looked up the tax info, the property is still owned by the same guy and he's current on his payments. It does have a note that a mortgage company recently requested a copy of the tax statement, whatever that means.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have a clue as to what that building is with the Miller light billboard on it? It is about a 5 story building on the east side of I-45, just north of the Aquarium downtown. It has nice stonework on the sides and has large green-blue windows facing the south. There is a rusty metal star on the side. When you drive by it, you can see what looks like aluminum studs inside, like someone is refurbishing it.

I've wondered about this building. I think the building itelf was there for years, it's been getting refurfished for years now. I thought they were going to be lofts. It does look nice ^_^

I heard they were having some financial issues.

That was going to be residential lofts called One Bayou Park but I think they hit a major hurdle. They then tried to do office lofts but that didn't seem to take either. As far as I can tell, nothing has been done to the building in over a year or so...

• 2 months later...

I tried doing a search on the forums for this building, but didn't have any luck. Apologize if there's already a thread going, but appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

There's a building on the NW corner of Franklin and Bagby across from the old fire alarm building. Its been there at least a few years now, but still doesn't look occupied from my vantage point. Anybody have any ideas as to why its still empty? Did they build it and then realize they forgot to install plumbing?

THanks,

• 10 months later...

My wife was driving around downtown and she got lost. Somewhere near Franklin and Bagby she saw a building she described as "very striking with big arches and elaborate wrought iron." Franklin and Bagby is the former Tennison Hotel, now One Bayou Park or whatever. There's a parking garage with rectangular openings and ?chain link? but she doesn't think that's what she saw.

She may be mistaken about the street, but she was westbound trying to leave the downtown area, and she was near I-45. She eventually wound up on Washington Street.

Any ideas? I thought of Las Alamedas :D but she wasn't THAT lost!

There is a building, not sure what it's name is, but it is a white-ish brick with green glass and big texas stars all over it at that corner, 2 blocks north of the DT Aquarium. It is about 3-4 stories high and pokes up right next to I 45 (with a Budweiser billboard on the roof) I would assume that building?

The building CSOM is describing is the remodeled Tennison Hotel, and it sounds like marmer doesn't think that's it. Marmer, did your wife say how big or tall it was, or whether it looked old?

Yes that's the Tennison Hotel that was supposed to be lofts but never opened. She described arches and that doesn't descrobe that bldg. Sounds like it's somewhere near the post office though. Maybe on the other side that was the old maternity ward (Jefferson?) that's now artist lofts? Hogg Palace. I don't know.

I thought of the Tennison right away and we looked at pictures, which she didn't seem to think were what she saw. She had a voice recorder with her and she tried to record the street names at the intersection, but it didn't work. She was pretty clear that one of the streets was Bagby. She remembered arches and wrought iron, and couldn't really give me more of a description -- tall, short, old, whatever. Sorry. She's not the architecture nut in the family, and she was lost and probably a little flustered.

But I guess I should be flattered that she thought I'd know right away what it was! :rolleyes:

Subdude, the Cotton Exchange building is certainly striking and memorable. I don't see a lot of wrought iron, but I will show the picture to her.

Edited by marmer

The building CSOM is describing is the remodeled Tennison Hotel, and it sounds like marmer doesn't think that's it. Marmer, did your wife say how big or tall it was, or whether it looked old?

Thanks - I had no idea that's what that building was. What is going on with that thing too? It looks striking to me, and seems to be an ok location, very visible and not far from the Aquarium, Bayou Place, Theatre District, and the entrance to the up & coming Wash. Ave Corridor.

Marmer, I might drive that way home today just to look around for you...

Edit: I drove past there on the way home, and I swear it has to be the Tennison hotel. That is really the only building at that intersection (GHWB Statue, USPS Parking Lot, and old Public Works Building on other three corners). The parking garage is at street level with rectangular openings as marmer said, but its designed with wrought iron lines and leaves, etc. to close the window... I'm convinced.

Edited by CSOM

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whats going on with that cool looking green glass building near the downtown aquarium? It looked like they where working on some lofts/condo type project and then it was abandoned for quite some time now. I was really interested in the property and thought it would give magnificent views of downtown.

Scott

• Like 1

Thanks - I had no idea that's what that building was. What is going on with that thing too? It looks striking to me, and seems to be an ok location, very visible and not far from the Aquarium, Bayou Place, Theatre District, and the entrance to the up & coming Wash. Ave Corridor.

Marmer, I might drive that way home today just to look around for you...

Edit: I drove past there on the way home, and I swear it has to be the Tennison hotel. That is really the only building at that intersection (GHWB Statue, USPS Parking Lot, and old Public Works Building on other three corners). The parking garage is at street level with rectangular openings as marmer said, but its designed with wrought iron lines and leaves, etc. to close the window... I'm convinced.

Yes, it's the Tennison/One Bayou Park. I took pictures when I was down there last weekend and she positively identified it. The parking garage openings are indeed covered with wrought iron/copper leaves. There are even little arches at the top.

tombstone_bikeride_070015001.jpg

tombstone_bikeride_070014001.jpg

Thanks for all the replies!