IAH - New International Terminal to Replace Terminal D

20 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Because it isn't 2018. Because the entire industry has shrunk by over half. Because travel isn't predicted to return to normal until the end of 2021 and that's if there's a vaccine. 

Southwest's answer is to try and stimulate O&D in existing markets by serving alternative airports (IAH and ORD) and expanding service to the few vacation destinations Americans can travel to (PSP, MIA, and Mexico). 

they still have to get access to gates and if United was squatting on them ...   I doubt United has released any gates as a result of COVID.  Have any other airlines left Terminal A or permanently reduced service?

Edited by Houston19514
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Southwest is going to operate out of Gate A3 at Bush Intercontinental.  They will have 3  aircraft parking positions at the Gate.

HAS gave an update presentation about the ITRP this week.  Here's the slide deck: https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/econdev/20210322/ITRP-Update.pdf Highlights:  The design is VER

Posted Images

Can somebody explain to me the benefit of having one gate and two or three destinations from IAH when all your resources, planes, mechanics, operations are out of HOU? I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have more traffic at IAH but from a business perspective, nobody thinks Southwest and IAH. 

@wxman Here are my thoughts on the matter. SWA would not being doing this if it weren't for COVID. They have slashed their schedule and they have empty planes and crew that needs to be on planes. Southwest is looking into how they can utilize their planes and crew in effective ways that won't burn cash at alarming rates. If that means they can start IAH operations (in addition to HOU) by using aircraft that would've been parked with crew that needs hours, and at the end of the day could even possibly turn a small profit or just break even; then they'll pounce on it.  Also, Southwest might see a weakness from United's standpoint. They see an opportunity to take marketshare away from UA without UA really putting up a fight. Does it seem practical in the long run? Probably not, but COVID has changed the airline industry and things that would not have seem normal a year ago, might makes sense today. 

there are smaller markets that are served by IAH but not Hobby, and vice versa. Southwest wants to capitalize on those passengers who need to go from say Chiraq to Marfa... You catch a SW flight from Chiraq, fly to IAH, the catch AreJay's charter service at IAH to Marfa.

18 hours ago, wxman said:

Can somebody explain to me the benefit of having one gate and two or three destinations from IAH when all your resources, planes, mechanics, operations are out of HOU? I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have more traffic at IAH but from a business perspective, nobody thinks Southwest and IAH. 

They are effectively going to have three gates.  Three aircraft parking/boarding positions at "Gate A3".

12 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

@wxman Here are my thoughts on the matter. SWA would not being doing this if it weren't for COVID. They have slashed their schedule and they have empty planes and crew that needs to be on planes. Southwest is looking into how they can utilize their planes and crew in effective ways that won't burn cash at alarming rates. If that means they can start IAH operations (in addition to HOU) by using aircraft that would've been parked with crew that needs hours, and at the end of the day could even possibly turn a small profit or just break even; then they'll pounce on it.  Also, Southwest might see a weakness from United's standpoint. They see an opportunity to take marketshare away from UA without UA really putting up a fight. Does it seem practical in the long run? Probably not, but COVID has changed the airline industry and things that would not have seem normal a year ago, might makes sense today. 

Mostly correct, but Southwest's return to IAH was merely accelerated by COVID. It was already in their long-term plans before COVID.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

They are effectively going to have three gates.  Three aircraft parking/boarding positions at "Gate A3".

Mostly correct, but Southwest's return to IAH was merely accelerated by COVID. It was already in their long-term plans before COVID.

What was SW's reason for leaving IAH in the first place? I remember going to SMU in the 90s, it was really handy having SW flying between IAH and LUV since my parents lived in the Champions area. It would have been hell to have to schlep out to DFW or HOU when I was just coming home for a weekend.

• 1 month later...

Buried in an attachment to a City Council Agenda item regarding the Terminal Redevelopment Program at Bush Intercontinental:

" By mid-Summer this year, design will have been completed and construction will be fully underway."

To remind everyone of what the project includes:

Constructing a new 11-gate concourse on the northside of Terminal B, becoming the “New Terminal C North” (project already completed by United Airlines); demolition (already completed) and replacement of the “Old Terminal C North” pier with a new Terminal D-West pier, renovation of the existing D Terminal, and integrating the Terminal D-West pier and D Terminal into a new single common-use north gate complex; expansion, modernization, and reconfiguration of the Federal Inspection Services (FIS) facility to improve baggage handling systems; constructing a new centralized international ticketing hall and centralized international security checkpoint; improving the meeter/greeter hall, and increasing the passenger roadway and curbside drop off/pickup capacity. ITRP also provides for the completion of various Program-supporting enabling projects such as utilities infrastructure and terminal roadways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Did Houston permanently lose any routes or airlines during this pandemic? I see Houston no longer has a direct to Sydney. That's the one that stick out to me the most since I've been on that flight several times. Any others? Are they coming back?

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Did Houston permanently lose any routes or airlines during this pandemic? I see Houston no longer has a direct to Sydney. That's the one that stick out to me the most since I've been on that flight several times. Any others? Are they coming back?

I think that's a temporary suspension along with Ethiopian Airlines 

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Houston19514 said:

Buried in an attachment to a City Council Agenda item regarding the Terminal Redevelopment Program at Bush Intercontinental:

" By mid-Summer this year, design will have been completed and construction will be fully underway."

To remind everyone of what the project includes:

Constructing a new 11-gate concourse on the northside of Terminal B, becoming the “New Terminal C North” (project already completed by United Airlines); demolition (already completed) and replacement of the “Old Terminal C North” pier with a new Terminal D-West pier, renovation of the existing D Terminal, and integrating the Terminal D-West pier and D Terminal into a new single common-use north gate complex; expansion, modernization, and reconfiguration of the Federal Inspection Services (FIS) facility to improve baggage handling systems; constructing a new centralized international ticketing hall and centralized international security checkpoint; improving the meeter/greeter hall, and increasing the passenger roadway and curbside drop off/pickup capacity. ITRP also provides for the completion of various Program-supporting enabling projects such as utilities infrastructure and terminal roadways.

This seems like a lot to me, but I'm not quite an airport/airline expert like y'all are. I used to travel a lot, and was kind of embarrassed by both Houston airports until the reno's in HOU were done, then it just left IAH (minus terminal B). I liked the United wing of IAH, but everything else felt like it was from the 90s. 

I saw the video and the renderings from that pdf @Houston19514 posted, so is this a massive overhaul of the airport, or just an update? Can I finally be happy with my city's international airport? Plus, is the new baggage system a big deal?

Another article today covering the demo:

Parking garage at George Bush Intercontinental Airport to be demolished to make way for new Mickey Leland International Terminal

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/development/2021/02/25/parking-garage-at-george-bush-intercontinental-airport-to-be-demolished-to-make-way-for-new-mickey-leland-international-terminal/

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

HAS gave an update presentation about the ITRP this week.  Here's the slide deck:

https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/econdev/20210322/ITRP-Update.pdf

Highlights:  The design is VERY far along.  By this summer, the design will be completed and they will be fully into construction.  Ground has already broken for foundations and utility work for the new Terminal D West pier.

They will be adding a new baggage screening building to the southeast corner of current Terminal D, with airline club space on the upper level(s).

Completion Schedule:

New D West pier: 4th Quarter 2022.

Full refurbishment of current Terminal D:  3rd Quarter 2023

New baggage screening building:  4th Quarter 2023

New International Terminal Phase 1: 4th Quarter 2023

New International Terminal Phase 2: 2nd Quarter 2024. 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5