IAH - New International Terminal to Replace Terminal D

yaga

Even IF they opted to build a new airport, where in the heck would you put something that size? IAH is already inconvenient for most people who live IN Houston or God forbid Sugar Land or Clear Lake or Galveston. The amount of property you would need along with good ample transportation to get there would either push the new airport way out of town or be shrunk down considerably to something like San Diego, Philadelphia or Reagan.

From city growth perspective, you have to built new airport far away from city center, just like London, Paris, Moscow, Taipei, Kuala Lumper and Shanghai, or you are lucky enough to have an island for it, like Seoul and Hong Kong. Ideally, a rail connecting Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston with a stop at IAH and DFW will be so great (just like Frankfurt), but that will never come true. Let's forget about the new airport which will not come realistic in at least 50 years. Even if government have enough money to do it, I'd rather they spend it to improve local road conditions in the loop, which is more important than my Houston pride.

There's no reason to build a new airport. IAH, from a runway perspective, is more than adequate, and has room for some more capacity. We can talk about terminals, but I don't think we will ever see IAH replaced with an airport in a different location.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I40T1145049X8RIC5FIOD8UQ9P6KEOFLDXKVS4TP

outside of this being grossly unrealistic (where's the mass of people huddled around 2 or 3 power outlets charging their cell phones?)...

The lady in the middle of the illustration that is the focus of the image has her head hanging down and just generally looks sullen, such a great statement on the current state of air travel in this country!

I can only imagine that she must have just received word that after her initial flight to Houston was delayed for 2 hours, now her connecting flight on to Europe has as well been delayed by 3 hours. So after spending her entire first leg of her flight thinking that her lazy 3 hour layover was going to be a hectic 1 hour rush from terminal A to terminal D and maybe try to grab a snack on the way, it's now a 5 hour layover, and she's contemplating how she is going to keep her phone charged with all the outlets already in use, and maybe next time she'll just vacation somewhere she can get to by car.

and what's up with that plane flying in the air in the top left of the picture, I assume that the orientation of this picture is facing east, as the terminal will be on the north, and the planes are all on the left of the terminal, the north south runways are on the west of the airport, this plane appears to be in descent, and will be landing somewhere down will clayton parkway, no wonder her flight is delayed, these planes can't even find the runways!

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's gonna look pretty slick but slightly out of place compared to the other very dated terminals with the bland, beige walls on the outside.

Those "very dated terminals with the bland, beige walls on the outside" are becoming more and more scarce.  If anything is going to look out of place it will be the few remaining bland beige walls.

Edited by Houston19514

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Neither the current controller nor his predecessor would certify the funds precisely because the previous bid process had more than a whiff of influence peddling about it.  You'll have to come up with a better example than sending this out for rebidding if you want to claim machine politics are in play.

Neither the current controller nor his predecessor would certify the funds precisely because the previous bid process had more than a whiff of influence peddling about it.  You'll have to come up with a better example than sending this out for rebidding if you want to claim machine politics are in play.

Right. Green was the one who started holding up the contracts.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Controller-Green-holds-up-airport-contracts-6703744.php

State Rep. Borris Miles's insurance company was included as a subcontractor. Ron Green subpoenaed Miles last year in his divorce from Hilary Green for videos and photos of Hilary. I'm not saying that's the reason why Green held up things because Green didn't mention Miles or the insurance contract in his e-mail to council members, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gave him some extra motivation to block and scrutinize the iffy contracts. (sips tea)

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-Controller-Ronald-Green-trades-6268556.php

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2015 at 11:58 AM, samagon said:

I40T1145049X8RIC5FIOD8UQ9P6KEOFLDXKVS4TP

The rending above and what's actually shaping up on the earthcam appear to be two different terminal buildings if you're comparing just the roof structure. Anybody else agree?

Edited by wxman

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Architect for new Terminal D to be hired by the end of the fall. Does that mean previous renders were just placeholders and project's design may change with architect hired?

Construction by Late 2017

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/development-construction/2016/10/06/iah-plans-4-billion-facelift/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

New Building to House Project Management Operations Important Stop on IAH Terminal Redevelopment Program Journey

The scope of the project includes:

• New Terminal D facilities
  • Terminal roadway improvements
  • New airside packages (ramp areas)
  • Training center
  • Federal Inspection Service (FIS) modifications
  • New Terminal C North, ramp and apron completed by United Airlines
  • Enabling projects: Program Management Office building, site utilities, and Terminal D baggage handling system modifications.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, kennyc05 said:

What is the future plan for the subway in the basement?

Extended to downtown, of course.  It'd probably only take 15 minutes longer than at-grade light rail.  (Kidding.)

It has to be kept in operation, replaced with moving sidewalks, or replaced with an interterminal bus system--plenty of UA passengers park in one garage, only to arrive in another terminal.  Last time I heard it was to be rebuilt--the problem being all of the parts for the existing train have to be handmade since the technology has been way superseded.  There is no way that it will be replaced as the tunnel would have to be completely rebuilt and expanded between the hotel and A, and, however inefficient, a bus system may be, it'll always win out on a benefit-cost basis.  Plenty more pressing projects at IAH and limited funds.

Edited by mattyt36

5 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Extended to downtown, of course.  It'd probably only take 15 minutes longer than at-grade light rail.  (Kidding.)

It has to be kept in operation, replaced with moving sidewalks, or replaced with an interterminal bus system--plenty of UA passengers park in one garage, only to arrive in another terminal.  Last time I heard it was to be rebuilt--the problem being all of the parts for the existing train have to be handmade since the technology has been way superseded.  There is no way that it will be replaced as the tunnel would have to be completely rebuilt and expanded between the hotel and A, and, however inefficient, a bus system may be, it'll always win out on a benefit-cost basis.  Plenty more pressing projects at IAH and limited funds.

Thanks for the reply! I used it yesterday for the first it was really underwhelming:(

On 10/16/2016 at 8:54 AM, tigereye said:

Architect for new Terminal D to be hired by the end of the fall. Does that mean previous renders were just placeholders and project's design may change with architect hired?

Construction by Late 2017

https://communityimpact.com/houston/lake-houston-humble-kingwood/development-construction/2016/10/06/iah-plans-4-billion-facelift/

I know this is 2 years old but I don't frequent this part of the forum . . . 

Major infrastructure projects such as the terminal are planned first.  Any drawings that come with them are conceptual renderings only.  The planning specifications/requirements are then handed over to the designer.  In this case there's not much you can do with the footprint of the building given the constrained site and the geometry necessary to accommodate the taxilanes, but of course the design of the building itself could vary wildly.  (That said, flashy design elements typically get eliminated during the value engineering process.)

In any case, I wouldn't take the lack of news on this project to be a positive.  The design team has had, what, 2 years at this point?  I'd imagine there must be major budget concerns or airline support has waned.

All of the drawings for the Spaceport, for example, are nothing other than conceptual renderings.

Just now, kennyc05 said:

Thanks for the reply! I used it yesterday for the first it was really underwhelming:(

It's decent at what it does, if the alternative is nothing.  It was actually built by the Walt Disney Corporation to replace the initial system, which didn't even last 5 years.

https://stuckattheairport.com/tag/walt-disney-company/

DFW's original train system, airtrans, ended up being quite the bust as well.

Just now, mattyt36 said:

It's decent at what it does, if the alternative is nothing.  It was actually built by the Walt Disney Corporation to replace the initial system, which didn't even last 5 years.

https://stuckattheairport.com/tag/walt-disney-company/

DFW's original train system, airtrans, ended up being quite the bust as well.

That's interesting. 

14 hours ago, SkylineView said:

I love that weird little train, and the mile long hallway it runs along.

I think that my favorite design feature is that instead of putting speakers on the train they put them on the ceiling right above the train. The result is a two mile long circle of speakers mounted to the ceiling that play the muzak of the day. 

17 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

The plan is to "Re-life or replace" the subway train system.
• Design Services in FY-2020
• Construction in FY-2022

On 9/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, Houston19514 said:

The plan is to "Re-life or replace" the subway train system.
• Design Services in FY-2020
• Construction in FY-2022

Ah, someone has discovered the ever-illuminating capital budget document!

There's obviously a big difference between "re-life" and "replace" . . .

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Airport-officials-fly-new-plans-for-international-13228403.php

Looks Like the Airport System has ripped up the replacement plan and is now working on a plan that is more focused on renovation and reworking existing terminals.  Pity. 

That is disappointing, but to be fair they've done a great job with B South and C North, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that this will turn out well. And we seem to be pretty stagnant as far as new international carriers go for awhile, so if they add those 6 new gates mentioned then hopefully capacity should be sufficient. Still, would have been nice to see a brand new terminal at IAH.

4 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Airport-officials-fly-new-plans-for-international-13228403.php

Looks Like the Airport System has ripped up the replacement plan and is now working on a plan that is more focused on renovation and reworking existing terminals.  Pity. 

Wow, that kind of sucks. I get combining D and E, but removing parking at E? Really? 

Adding baggage for domestic passengers at E is a smart move though. 

13 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Not really true.  The plan still completely replaces the current Terminal D and former C North.

As is so often the case, the Chronicle got a lot wrong in that article.  There will still be parking at Terminal E.  They still plan to completely replace the existing Terminal D and former C North.  There are more errors in the article as well, but that's enough for the moment.

We will be building a whole new Terminal just as much as under the prior plan.

Edited by Houston19514

Phase 1:
▪ Refresh Old C North Concourse;
▪ Add Sterile Corridor on East Side of Old C-North.
▪ Construct New Pier D3;

Demolish Terminal D Garage (the far east end of the parking structure that serves Terminals C and D/E)
▪ New ticketing Hall
▪ New Arrivals / Departures Curbs and Roadway modifications
▪ Modified FIS & Tenants
▪ New Arrivals Hall
▪ Baggage Modifications

Phase 2:

Construct New Pier D2; and
▪ Construct New Connector Corridors.
▪ Phased Demolition of Terminal D; and
▪ Construct New East Concessions, VIP Lounges Core.

Complete IH/FIS Build-Out:
▪ 3rd Ticketing Level (relocated FF Airlines)
▪ 2nd Ticketing Level (relocate and expand UAL);
▪ Domestic Reclaim Belts & Basement Build-Out;
▪ Departures Curb Vertical Circulation & Link Bridge;
▪ Relocated Arrivals Curb.

Phase 3:

Phased Demolition of Terminal D, C-D Connector and Old C- North;
▪ Construct New Pier D1; and
▪ Construct New West Frontal Gates.

The additional 2 levels of new parking will be on top of the parking structure that sits between, and serves, Terminals C and D/E.

• Like 1