Dow Chemical Building New R&D Site In Lake Jackson

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The article says that the City of Lake Jackson and Brazoria County gave incentives to Dow to build the new complex. Again the local taxpayers are subsidizing an expansion of an existing company. Yes it's a major employer and yes it  brings a ton of economic activity to the area, but does the local welding shop get a tax break? Does the existing grocery store get a tax break? What if Buccees wants to add a new office wing to their building, would they get the same treatment? I'm just asking because it doesn't seem fair to all.

The article says that the City of Lake Jackson and Brazoria County gave incentives to Dow to build the new complex. Again the local taxpayers are subsidizing an expansion of an existing company. Yes it's a major employer and yes it  brings a ton of economic activity to the area, but does the local welding shop get a tax break? Does the existing grocery store get a tax break? What if Buccees wants to add a new office wing to their building, would they get the same treatment? I'm just asking because it doesn't seem fair to all.

the grocer and Bucees don't need tax breaks. They will see an increase in business from the 2000 employees and their families.

Probably means the loss of the historic MacKie & Kamrath Administration Building (now A.P. Beutel Building) in Freeport.    Next time you're down that way, take a good look while you can. It's a beautiful building.

• 1 month later...

Now Lake Jackson can successfully pretend it's not a Freeport suburb, where in the past that was a tenuous contention.

Ha!  I like that.   But I think the beginning of the end of that was Brazos Mall and it was well and truly split off by the time I officially moved away in 1985-ish.

It was certainly true in the 50s and 60s, and my Freeport girlfriend in high school and I talked about that some.

My guess is, that between this transplant from the Energy Corridor and the PBK remodeling of the First Methodist Church interior, that LJ will have a lot of (or rather, even more) trouble pretending it's not a Houston suburb.

• The title was changed to Dow Chemical Building New R&D Site In Lake Jackson

Archived