Home At 3409 N. Macgregor Way

JLWM8609

I saw this album cover on Facebook and immediately recognized the house as being a home on N. MacGregor near Burkett. Makes sense as Little Junior Parker was on Don Robey's Duke Label. Duke was a subsidiary of 5th Ward based Peacock Records, and from what I've been told, Don Robey lived in a home not far away from the home pictured here at the corner of Southmore and Hancock. As for the N. MacGregor home, it's still standing. It was almost lost to a fire about 4-5 years ago, but it was repaired. Some of the original mod touch is gone as a result of the repairs, but I believe the original bricks still remain on the house, and you can still tell that it's a 1950s design.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.71056,-95.365294,3a,75y,354.33h,68.87t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sY7CM2K5YfwHYeAD1PUdnsA!2e0

post-3723-0-58328600-1394525272_thumb.jp

• Like 3

According to discogs.com the album was released three times in 1962 on the Duke label and twice 11 years later on both the MCA and ABC/Dunhill labels then again on MCA in 1995. It appears the album cover here was one of the 1962 releases so the Cadillac in the picture was fairly new (1960 year model I believe) and the house also no more than a decade old at the time. 

If you look to the left on the Google street view you can see a fantastic Mid-century Modern balcony on the neighboring house.

If you look to the left on the Google street view you can see a fantastic Mid-century Modern balcony on the neighboring house.

During the Christmas 2013 season, the house next door with the MCM balcony had a 1968-1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III parked out front and covered in Christmas lights.

• The title was changed to Riverside Terrace Home On Cover Of Little Junior Parker Album
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

How's this for a thread resurrection? The house from this album cover is on the market. https://www.har.com/homedetail/3409-n-macgregor-way-houston-tx-77004/3152896

Interesting house. Totally unacceptable kitchen, as the range doesn't have enough knobs🤣

I actually like the place, rooms are decent. Furniture is not my style, but they can leave the pool table.

For some reason, the realtor's name is ringing bells in my head from when we lived in Midtown in the late 90's.

IMG_5231.PNG

I listened to most of the album this morning.  Good stuff.  But Apple Music has the alternate album cover.  I've never found a streaming service that doesn't disappoint in some way.

Interesting decor in the house, though.  I believe the style is called "Early Golden Girls."

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:04 AM, Ross said:

Interesting house. Totally unacceptable kitchen, as the range doesn't have enough knobs🤣

I actually like the place, rooms are decent. Furniture is not my style, but they can leave the pool table.

For some reason, the realtor's name is ringing bells in my head from when we lived in Midtown in the late 90's.

Gerald Womack has sold a lot of properties in and around the area for over 40 years now. That's probably why you remember his name.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Home At 3409 N. Macgregor Way