Texas A&M University's Kyle Field Developments

Nate99

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that would definitely make it fit in a lot better with the other SEC stadiums. Just about anything would be an upgrade from the aesthetics of the stadium right now. Playing atmosphere is great, but it's just one big concrete mass.

I have no idea if this is even a contender of an idea. The only thing that I have heard is that the powers that be are leaning toward a phased construction such that there will not be a need to have a season away from College Station. Apparently a good chunk of the local economy lives and dies by those 7-8 weekends. When I was there every restaurant had an hour wait every weekend night anyway and it has been hard to get a hotel room on a random Tuesday, so I'm dubious of the claims that losing a season would be that bad on B/CS, but what do I know?

If I had my druthers, I'd go for a complete tear down/rebuild with a clean slate that had two ginormous decks that wrapped around and topped out attendance ~100k.

The stadium now is a mongrel of concrete built in many different phases.

Kyle Field is fine as is... You don't tear down a 85 yr old beloved collegiate stadium for luxury boxes.

If they have to add seats, I'd prefer they don't touch the existing stadium... and add a partial Zone-like structure opposite the Zone, between the field and the new Bright building - Perhaps just doing the top 2 decks integrated over or front left and right of the Bright Bldg.

The Zone added 20k... I'd be happy only adding 10-15k more seats if it means NOT doing a full demo and reconstruction.

kyle-field-aerial.jpg

Eh, tear it down and build something spectacular. You don't tear down a stadium for luxury boxes. You DO tear down a stadium for overwhelmed plumbing, electrical wiring that cannot keep up with modern demands, all around general disrepair, AND revenue generating luxury boxes and club seating.

That rendering doesn't make any sense. G-Rollie White currently takes up a lot of the space where the stadium is in the rendering. Second, the gridiron itself would have to shift a good bit east of the current location and I don't see how that would being that the field is below grade. And 3rd, would they tear down the ''brand new'' north end zone? Doesn't make much sense. The concrete isn't even hardly stained yet.

The artist who did this often posts his work on his website even when the actual design is not the final version of a project.

Some ideas of his may be incorporated into the final design, but I imagine the new/renovated Kyle Field will look much different.

That rendering doesn't make any sense. G-Rollie White currently takes up a lot of the space where the stadium is in the rendering. Second, the gridiron itself would have to shift a good bit east of the current location and I don't see how that would being that the field is below grade. And 3rd, would they tear down the ''brand new'' north end zone? Doesn't make much sense. The concrete isn't even hardly stained yet.

The actual field isn't below grade now...

The only thing I like about that rendering is the demolishing of G Rollie for an entrance plaza. Has it served any purpose for the last decade, I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

The actual field isn't below grade now...

The only thing I like about that rendering is the demolishing of G Rollie for an entrance plaza. Has it served any purpose for the last decade, I don't think so.

From what I know, G. Rollie is a gonner no matter what option is selected. This strikes me as something you do once every hundred years or so.

The infrastructure of the existing stadium is in bad shape. I'd like to see something spectacular built from scratch.

• 4 months later...

The RFP was released today.

Highlights of the plan are to demolish and replace the entire West side, replace the first deck on the East side and address code and inadequate egress issues on the second and third decks, build a 12,000 seat South end zone with future expansion capability for an additional 7,000, lower the playing surface seven feet and move the field 18 feet south to enable an additional six rows of seats on the East and North sides.

G. Rollie and the Read building will be demolished.

All of this to commence after the 2013 season and be completed incrementally to not displace any home games.

Huge project.

Looking forward to a rendering.

• 2 months later...

Have they begun construction? They have erected a crane at the south end zone....as seen in a video from ''dude pefect'' on the home page of the Houston Chronicle.

http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2013/01/manziel-dude-perfect-form-quite-a-combo-of-trickery/

I saw that in the video myself, maybe so, but I read that the construction was not going to start until after the 2013 season.  It looks positioned to take the video board apart. 

Given the design requirement to ring in the south end zone, they may have decided to go ahead and dismantle it this offseason. 

The crane is there for additions to the lobby of the Bright Complex and a new nutrition center.

Contrary to what I said earlier, it seems like the above rendering will be more similar to the finished product than I first thought, for better or worse.

The crane is there for additions to the lobby of the Bright Complex and a new nutrition center.

Contrary to what I said earlier, it seems like the above rendering will be more similar to the finished product than I first thought, for better or worse.

I guess they build whenever they get the money for these things. Given the newness of the Bright Complex, I did not think anything major would be done at this point. Shows you how much I know. 

Folks on the A&M fan boards with inside knowledge of the plans are claiming that the overhaul will be about as extensive as you can get without a total tear down/rebuild. Initial reports have capacity at 102k that is expandable to 112k in the future, which I'm guessing would be something like that second deck on the South end in the rendering. 

The lowered playing surface is supposedly going to necessitate a drainage/retention pond across the street in Spence Park.  Speculation is that it will be landscaped/developed in to something pretty nice with a formal central tailgating area for game day, ala The Grove in Oxford, MS. I'm most interested to see what the closer seating to the field does to the atmosphere. Apart from the North end, the seating is still backspaced as though the running track that was removed in the 80's/90's were still there.  

G. Rollie and the Read building may start coming down very soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

MAJOR upgarde.  That is a pretty slick looking stadium there.  I really like the arbor things they are showing on the corners of the building.  That would be pretty unique.  Can't really see any luxury box seating in the renderings but it would appear they might be on the left hand/closer side of the stadium in both of the new renderings.

• 2 months later...

The parking garages aren't a part of the current plan now.  102,000 people going in and out of parking garages would be a nightmare.  I hate coming out of the garage for the Hobby Theatre, I can't imagine how bad that would be.  As it is now, they bus people to different surface lots around campus, and it actually works fairly well for such a large amount of people. 

I thought they decide not to add the parking garages?

The pics posted here were a batch that were released early/unofficially. If you look at the gallery in my link, the garages are gone.

The garage just West of Wellborn gets a lot of gameday traffic, and is a general PITA when they stop a few thousand pedestrians for five minutes at a time to let the cars out. As mentioned, spreading the parkers all over campus (and town for that matter) seems to work pretty well. So many folks hang out and tailgate before and after the games though that car traffic isn't an all out rush at one time to get in or out either.

Iron Tiger - When you say "white tent things" are you talking about the indoor practice facility and adjacent indoor track/athletic field?  They do have a temporary look about them, but that type of construction seems to be fairly standard issue at big programs.

Archived