Sunday Streets for Houston

Your friends also had plenty of warning, I assume. If I'm told that my street is to be closed. Or that it's being resurfaced, or whatever. I deal with it, by parking my car around the corner. Or plan to use a cab or public transportation. Shouldn't be a big problem.

The problem was that no one really realized that closure of White Oak meant their alley would not be accessible, since that had not happened before. These days, they move the cars, but it was a hard lesson.

Given they had something planned for that day, it was sort of a big deal. Where do you live? Can I come and block in your driveway for an entire day, on the day you planned to drive somewhere for a big event? Do your real life friends think you are an arrogant jerk too?

Sure I would deal with it and probably see what all the commotion is about.

Well I said I was grumpy old man.  That kind of rules out wanting a more fun city. 

Anyway, it's not that I particularly object to wanting Houstonians to move around outside of their cars, far from it, but there are existing spaces for that, viz. parks and sidewalks.  The thing is, that encouragement should be on an ongoing basis.  Special occasions, like this or Lights Out Houston, are great feel-good gimmicks but aren't changing underlying behavior, and they just leave me cold. 

...Hey!  You kids get off my lawn!

Lol I respect your perspective and I definitely understand and agree... In my humble opinion, Houston should embrace a few things about itself, first of all everything grows in our climate, so I don't understand why nicer landscaping isn't a must in this city, everywhere, especially along the freeways... second Houston should embrace itself as an artistic city... we have an abundance of museums and festivals dedicated to this, but we don't really showcase it... I think bringing some color to our freeways would add so much to the city... And  third initiatives like Sunday Streets needs to be a common practice, in other words it should be about a change in attitude and not just an event

From what I saw, the traffic control plans for the two Sunday Streets events so far were well thought out and maintained access where there were no alternative routes available.

What I like about these events how they help people see the potential for our streets to be more than just conduits for motorized traffic. They're also a slam dunk for neighborhood businesses. I've walked lower Westheimer dozens of times and still discovered shops I had never seen before last Sunday because normally I'm watching my step on the tightrope of a sidewalk.

The problem was that no one really realized that closure of White Oak meant their alley would not be accessible, since that had not happened before. These days, they move the cars, but it was a hard lesson.

Well I'm not sure what more the City could have done. There was a strong media campaign to advertise the event.

Well I'm not sure what more the City could have done. There was a strong media campaign to advertise the event.

It wasnt during the Sunday Streets event, it was a couple of years ago.

Well, the post you took umbrage with was Vick talking about a few hours a month. So the Sunday Streets event.

I took umbrage at Vik's general attitude of "screw anyone who doesn't want to have the same fun I do". The City of Houston, and event organizers, should not be planning events that make it impossible for residents to access their homes and garages.

I took umbrage at Vik's general attitude of "screw anyone who doesn't want to have the same fun I do". The City of Houston, and event organizers, should not be planning events that make it impossible for residents to access their homes and garages.

Well, these events have an access plan that allow people to get their cars out. "Residents with driveways blocked by the route will be accommodated as needed." http://www.edforh.com/sunday-streets-htx/

This was the case during the event. They managed it with cones.

As opposed to if it inconveniences me slightly to hell with it.

As opposed to if it inconveniences me slightly to hell with it.

You seem to think it's OK to mess with people's lives, as long as one of your goals is accomplished. Losing the ability to move your car for 8 hours is more than a slight inconvenience. Especially if you planned to drive to the airport, or leave for vacation, or visit a sick relative, etc. As I said, it's better these days, since there's generally more notice, and there is awareness that the access can be blocked by events.Overall, Houston seems to be doing a better job of ensuring that large events go off with the least amount of inconvenience possible. That wasn't always the case.

• 3 weeks later...

How do they handle cross streets? From what I see, Sawyer Street and Houston Avenue cross the "closed" area. Will they have cops there directing traffic or just put up barricades and expect drivers to work their way around? 

How do they handle cross streets? From what I see, Sawyer Street and Houston Avenue cross the "closed" area. Will they have cops there directing traffic or just put up barricades and expect drivers to work their way around? 

Cops directing traffic. On the Westheimer route it was rarely an issue, though. Very few motorists showed up to cross.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some pictures, and I thought it looked pretty good, and in a way, this is far better than any half-baked "pedestrian plaza" idea some people have, for a few reasons:

1. It truly shares the road. When people often talk about complete streets, "sharing the road" and other urban transit ideas, there's often this underlying anti-car sentiment. There are some people who honestly don't have anti-car beliefs, but others do (see "dog whistles", like the "mongrel neighborhood" thread was talking about).

2. It's only temporary, and this is not just for motorists' benefit, it's for people too. A permanent pedestrian plaza may look nice but a lot of the times it's deader than dead. With an actual reason to come out, it makes it feel more "alive" and achieve what the planners want to achieve.

3. Houston's traffic grid is good enough that at least in terms of Washington Street, primarily car-driven businesses (I saw a Shell, Sonic among them) could still be accessed.

• 3 months later...

^  Either the plans have changed or (at least equally possible) the Chron got it wrong.

The next Sunday Streets is apparently going to be October 12 in the Heights.  (19th Street from Heights Blvd. to Shepherd).

Here is how the CultureMap described it:  "a route through the Heights, from 19th Street to Shepherd,"  Well done, Elizabeth Rhodes.  Anyone modestly familiar with the Heights (as a reporter/journalist should be), would know that 19th Street and Shepherd intersect.  I guess the next Sunday Streets is going to be a VERY small occasion.  ;-)

And of course Swamplot (snark before facts) dutifully repeated the error.

^  Either the plans have changed or (at least equally possible) the Chron got it wrong.

The next Sunday Streets is apparently going to be October 12 in the Heights.  (19th Street from Heights Blvd. to Shepherd).

Here is how the CultureMap described it:  "a route through the Heights, from 19th Street to Shepherd,"  Well done, Elizabeth Rhodes.  Anyone modestly familiar with the Heights (as a reporter/journalist should be), would know that 19th Street and Shepherd intersect.  I guess the next Sunday Streets is going to be a VERY small occasion.  ;-)

And of course Swamplot (snark before facts) dutifully repeated the error.

Good catch - according to Streets HTX - the dates and route order changed

https://www.facebook.com/sundaystreetshtx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

from Cohen's enewsletter

Three spring dates have been announced for the return of the popular Sunday Streets, two routes of which will be located in District C! During each Sunday Streets event, select routes will be closed to vehicular traffic for a few hours to open those streets to pedestrians and bicyclists. The program seeks to improve the health of Houstonians promoting an active lifestyle as well as to foster community spirit by encouraging citizens to explore their neighborhoods on foot rather than passing it by in a car.

Westheimer Rd Route
From Taft St to Woodhead St
March 29, 2015
12:00PM – 3:00PM

19th St Route
From Heights Blvd to Shepherd Dr
April 26, 2015

Navigation Blvd Route
From Jenson Dr to Lockwood Dr
May 17, 2015

from the COH enewsletter

CIGNA SUNDAY STREETS KICKS OFF IN MONTROSE
2015 Cigna Sunday Streets
Lower Westheimer Ready for walking, running, skating, dancing in the streets March 29

WHAT:     Cigna Sunday Streets Houston provides a family-friendly opportunity for being physically active. For four hours one Sunday a month, selected Houston streets are closed to motorized traffic, allowing Houstonians to cycle, walk, run, dance, and socialize in the street. Get out and explore your community at one of the upcoming Cigna Sunday Streets.
WHEN:     Sunday, March 29, 2015
                12:00 PM - 4 PM
WHERE:    Lower Westheimer (from Woodhead to Taft)
MORE:      Cigna Sunday Streets is modeled after other events from around the world. The concept originated in Bogota, Colombia as "Ciclovia," a day of free, healthy activities that promote community in public streets. Thirty years later, the concept has spread around the world.  U.S. cities with similar events include San Francisco, Portland, St. Louis, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis. Cigna Sunday Streets is a project of the Mayor's Office of Special Events
For more information visit http://www.houstontx.gov/specialevents/sundaystreets.html.
Follow us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/sundaystreetshtx

• 11 months later...

SUNDAY STREETS KICKS OFF IN EAST END, DISTRICT H

2016 Cigna Sunday Streets

East End Ready for walking, running, skating, dancing in the streets, March 13

WHAT: Cigna Sunday Streets Houston provides a family-friendly opportunity for being physically active. For four hours one Sunday a month, selected Houston streets are closed to motorized traffic, allowing Houstonians to cycle, walk, run, dance, and socialize in the street. Get out and explore your community at one of the upcoming Cigna Sunday Streets.

WHEN: Sunday, March 13, 2016
            11:00 AM - 3 PM

WHERE: East End East End (on Navigation between Jensen and North Sampson)

MORE: Cigna Sunday Streets is modeled after other events from around the world. The concept originated in Bogota, Colombia as "Ciclovia," a day of free, healthy activities that promote community in public streets. Thirty years later, the concept has spread around the world.  U.S. cities with similar events include San Francisco, Portland, St. Louis, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis. Cigna Sunday Streets is a project of the Mayor's Office of Special Events.

For more information visit http://www.houstontx.gov/specialevents/sundaystreets.html .
Follow us on Facebook! 
https://www.facebook.com/sundaystreetshtx   #SSHTX

• 4 weeks later...

From Cohen newsletter

TUESDAY, APRIL 12th: the City of Houston will host a public meeting to discuss a new route for  Cigna Sunday Streets [http://gohealthyhouston.org/sundaystreetshtx/] - White Oak Dr between Heights Blvd and Watson St. Participants will have the opportunity to discuss event details such as resident and business access and road closures. Sunday Streets attracts an average of 20,000 visitors per event and promotes a healthy, active lifestyle by encouraging citizens to explore their neighborhoods on foot rather than passing it by in a car. The meeting will begin at 6:30pm at the  Heights Fire Station

• 2 weeks later...

Archived