Two Historic Pictures that Contradict

Michelle C

I was looking at various pictures of the 1935 flood of downtown Houston and while trying to get a firm location and direction as to what I was looking at I found this contradiction. Look at the two pictures I have posted. Look to the building on the north side of the bayou on the left. I know it is hard to see but if you enlarge the picture you can plainly see what it says on the side of the building. In the first picture it says Grocers Supply Company. The second picture the same building says Guenard Speed and then I can't read the rest of it. I looked up the address in my 1937 phone book and couldn't find the Guenard Speed what ever. I was however able to find the Grocers Supply Company listed at 819 Commerce street which would be a viable location for that building.

post-11998-0-47184300-1394045943_thumb.j

post-11998-0-78062800-1394046004_thumb.j

Fascinating!  My best guess is the one picture on the left dates from the 1935 flood.  Which I believe was the worst in history until Tropical Storm Alisson in 2001?

My guess is the other picture shows a different flood from an earlier period.  If you look, the water is clearly higher in the "grocers" picture (water is in the bottom window).  I do believe that would be the best explanation?

Thanks for posting.  I love the old photos that show the city.

I would guess that the photo on the right might date from the 1929 flood.  In the background Washington Ave. appears to extend straight beyond the Hotel Macatee, and the tower of the Brazos Hotel is visible.  To make way for the new Southern Pacific railway station which opened in 1934, a section of Washington was closed and the old Brazos Hotel was demolished.  That places the picture on the right to sometime before 1934, so it couldn't be the 1935 flood.  

Thanks for the info. When I was making the post I had written that I thought it was possible that it could be from the 1929 flood and was miss dated, but then deleted it because I did not want to influence anyone thinking. I wanted total independent conformation which you quickly gave me. Thanks again for the quick response.

Now, I'm left wondering about that tie!   Was it truly some sort of Texas fashion statement at the time?

I tried to go to the "networkedblogs" site but the link to HaAyR didn't work.

Since the three men were in the produce business, could they have developed it into Grocer's Supply....

Great photos, thanks for posting.

The earlier flood photo has Henke & Pillot - Largest Grocer's (poss. address - 302 Milam in 1925) and Ship Channel Drug Co. I have viewed some photos of both floods. Second one got the city's attention, in a big way. It prompted Sears to build the S. Main St. store. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Edited by NenaE