Town House Motel/Buffalo Motel At 3011 Allen Pkwy.

Michelle C

I am sure that there are a few on this board that remember the Buffalo House Motel on the corner of Buffalo Drive (Allen Parkway) and Waugh drive. As a kid in the fifties I remember it well. It was a very nice motel and restaurant, probably one of the nicer of the era. It was also rumored that there was a pretty swinging night club there too. I had an older cousin that had something of a wild streak in her and it was one of her favorite haunts. If anyone has any pictures please post them.

Are we taking about the corner that's now occupied by the American General building complex?

Yes, where the American General building is now. Its the same location where Town House or Buffalo House as it was also called at one time was located. Waugh drive and Allan Parkway. 

Over a period of time It had went by two different names. The Buffalo Hotel and the Town House. I am not sure of the time line or which name came first. If you look at the aerial picture that I posted above you will see at the bottom that it was called the Buffalo Hotel in 1953

• 11 months later...

I remember this motel very well. In the late 1940's when my grandparents would travel from La Grange, Tx. to visit us they would stay at this motel. We lived down the street on Waugh Drive in a small apartment. If the room that they wanted to rent wasn't available when they wanted to visit they wouldn't come. There was only one room that they liked. As a young boy, I thought that they lived there.

• 3 years later...

The Buffalo Town house made a big impression me when I was a kid back in the nineteen forties and early fifties, because It had a round building in front that i assume was the restaurant.  This was the first time I saw modern architecture in Houston and it was the beginning of a life-long love affair I've had with the modern architecture from that period.  More impressive than the building was a futuristic three-wheeled car that I often saw parked in front of the Buffalo Town House.   The car was streamlined like a rocket ship and it looked like something out of a science fiction movie.   In those days, there was no other car in Houston that was anything like it.   I never forgot the Town House, or that car, and fifty years later I was able to find the car on the Internet.  It is called a Davis Divan and it was only produced for a few years after WWII until the Davis company went bankrupt.   Davis Motors was one of those post war start-up car companies that didn't survive, much like the Tucker Motor Company.  The Tucker car's engineering was years ahead of it's time, but the Tucker car's styling didn't hold a candle to the modernistic space-age looks of the Davis Divan.   With advanced features like disappearing headlights, this car will still turn heads on the road today,  so you can imagine how incredible it looked to a kid seventy years ago.  If anyone knows who owned that car and how it came to Houston, or what became of it, then please post the story on this site for all of us to read. 

1948 Davis Divan 3 wheel car.jpg

• The title was changed to Town House Motel/Buffalo Motel At 3011 Allen Pkwy.

Archived