Amegy Bank At 1717 West Loop S.

nolaboy

It'll be revealed when Half Life 3 is released

So you're saying HL3 will be released in the next 14-18 months?!   That's fantastic!

Seriously though, I fear Amegy is playing a dangerous game...  They've built, and built, and built up this building to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and we've seen zero.  I still will assume this thing will be far from the great work of architecture folks are thinking it will be, and far from the wonderful building the Amegy Bankers think it will be.

Hope I'm proven very wrong with that opinion!

• Like 2

So you're saying HL3 will be released in the next 14-18 months?!   That's fantastic!

Seriously though, I fear Amegy is playing a dangerous game...  They've built, and built, and built up this building to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and we've seen zero.  I still will assume this thing will be far from the great work of architecture folks are thinking it will be, and far from the wonderful building the Amegy Bankers think it will be.

I think we all look forward to applauding this design, one way or the other. If it is indeed worth the wait, the tributes will pour out. If it isn't, the mock applause should be deafening.

• Like 1

So you're saying HL3 will be released in the next 14-18 months?! That's fantastic!

Seriously though, I fear Amegy is playing a dangerous game... They've built, and built, and built up this building to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and we've seen zero. I still will assume this thing will be far from the great work of architecture folks are thinking it will be, and far from the wonderful building the Amegy Bankers think it will be.

The only people I have seen gushing over this building is people on here that have supposedly seen renderings of the building. It's not Amegy "playing a dangerous game" it's HAIFers.

• Like 2

The only people I have seen gushing over this building is people on here that have supposedly seen renderings of the building. It's not Amegy "playing a dangerous game" it's HAIFers.

People who work on projects tend to think they're much more important and of greater value than they actually are.

You can use whatever verbiage you'd like, but you catch my drift.  I'm just saying I think it is silly Amegy hasn't put a rendering out there.

Their choice.  A bright, fancy new highrise is an advertising icon for any company - much less a bank that relies upon an image of "energy" and "vibrancy," and drawing new customers to itself.

• Like 1

This last page is hilarious. Amegy playing a "dangerous game" haha... With who exactly? A handful of posters on an architecture message board? For the most part amegy has remained mum on the building except in its initial announcement 9 months ago.

Believe it or not, the reason nothing has been released is because the design is still being tweaked or at least it was as of a month or so ago. Amegy nor Pickard Chilton nor Hines owes anyone some sort of progress report on this project. You're not that important.

• Like 9

You must be fun at parties, if you're ever invited, that is.

hey my pal, i need to meet you.  you are the best socks!  i was really trying in earnest to start this new year upon the right foot.  however, trust me.. it was a bit difficult!

• Like 1

This last page is hilarious. Amegy playing a "dangerous game" haha... With who exactly? A handful of posters on an architecture message board? For the most part amegy has remained mum on the building except in its initial announcement 9 months ago.

Believe it or not, the reason nothing has been released is because the design is still being tweaked or at least it was as of a month or so ago. Amegy nor Pickard Chilton nor Hines owes anyone some sort of progress report on this project. You're not that important.

Since this is an architectural forum - we're entitled to have opinions on architecture.

I'm sure the architects and developers working on the Memorial Hermann Tower at Memorial City Mall thought that they too were working on greatness?  We all know how that turned out.

Swtsig... you're a smart guy.  You can "catch my drift" in my post saying Amegy is playing a "dangerous game" right?  You're right I should have placed the blame (if that's what it is) at the people posting about how great this thing is - and not Amegy since they've been fairly mum on this topic as you pointed out?  Still, you can understand what I'm saying.  Expectations are seldom reality.  Particularly here in Houston.

Designs are always "tweaked" until construction starts (and then guess what - changes still continue to happen as the need arises).  That's the business!  That's how it is.  I worked at a major firm here in town (not locally based) for 3 long years and saw some really great buildings there get V.E.'d until they were no longer great!  I also worked on stuff that -when I worked on it- I thought it was great.  Sitting back with some context I can tell you it wasn't.  That's also the nature of the business.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 2

So yeah...there's a pretty big hole in the ground right now.

I don't think the downtown Macy's ever officially provided a rendering. This one may not either.

Those guys moved very fast though!  And that building - while decent - is hardly an architectural gem.

Its actually a shame something better wasn't built in that location and that 20something corporate tower wasn't built ...I don't know... a block or two south on an empty lot!

Oh well

• Like 1

One cannot downplay the significance of posters on an architecture message board while posting on an architecture message board. They obviously got you riled up. The only people who can laugh at the significance of architecture message board posters are those not posting.

• Like 3

I wish I could like this post 100 times.

• Like 2