Amegy Bank At 1717 West Loop S.

nolaboy

I think he meant the 2229 San Felipe tower going up now..?

Bingo.  Sorry for missing the address.  But this is an example of a Hines building that is less than inspirational in design quality.  And its about what I'm expecting of the proposal for Amegy.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/09/hines-to-break-ground-on-san-felipe-office-tower-in-60-days/

I was under the impression this was a Pickard Chilton design, with Ziegler Cooper serving as architect of record?  Is that not the case?

Either way - this is not a wonderful building.

You capitalized "tower" when it should have been lower case. Don't let it happen again.

• Like 2

Bingo.  Sorry for missing the address.  But this is an example of a Hines building that is less than inspirational in design quality.  And its about what I'm expecting of the proposal for Amegy.

but that building fits in perfectly with the surrounding area. there was zero chance that Hines was going to develop an architectural wonder in what is still a very residential area. remember, they received a lot of blow back from many of their river oaks neighbors. in addition, the bulk of their tenants will be private wealth managers, family trusts/foundations and they like... they needed something understated and classic which is definitely what i would consider 2229. the design doesn't exist in a vacuum - location matters and a very random lot on a two-lane street in a very residential area does not equal prime estate real estate along the west loop - if anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt its Hines.

just my opinion.

Edited by swtsig
  • Like 4

I know Marathon is brown, that is why I was asking if it was pink granite...

Yes, it is a darker shade of granite than San Felipe Plaza. Very sumptuous, even much of the parking garage interior is granite. And when you get in the lobby - wow. Too bad the design is otherwise dull and the building doesn't contribute to any skyline or public area.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed by this afternoon on Post Oak Park Dr. on the East side of the building, the parking lot was busted up and pushed into a large mound. Also there were several freshly cut down trees laying around. Lots of construction workers walking around and some bulldozers on site.

• Like 3

As stated earlier... can someone please just draw this... we don't care how bad your drawing skills are...

Edit: Unless your drawing skills are so bad that you convert a 20-story looking tower into a 200-story megastructure...

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

So... I "snuck" into the offices of the design firm responsible for this tower, and guess what!?  They had a scale model of the building!

Here's a fuzy photo of one of the models they had in the office!  Personally I find the transition from the parking deck to the tower portion seemless and also timeless, I think its my favorite detail of this design!  Instant classic!

Lego-Tower2.JPG

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 8