Amegy Bank At 1717 West Loop S.

nolaboy

Nice. Hopefully it doesn't blind drivers

The glass building that Sirius Solutions is in can be pretty bad when it comes to driver-blinding reflected sunlight if you're northbound on the West Loop at the right time during the afternoon/evening rush hour. 

At least the new Amegy building won't blind drivers at night, which is more than can be said for Micro Center's thankfully-departed LED billboard. 

unmasked2.jpg

soooo.. the phantom menace has finally become unmasked!  however, i was under the mindset that this particular edifice was going to be a brilliant architectural marvel.

instead, not only does it look a bit ordinary in contrast as per all of the prior confusion / upheaval... it seems as though it shall indeed blend in quite well upon it's new galleria surroundings.  

upon my most earnest opinion, this new edifice is modern, classy, along with very clean lines throughout.  however, this is no marvel of architecture that we were led to believe was approaching.

simply nothing new here.  nonetheless, congrats to amegy bank! 

unmasked2.jpg

soooo.. the phantom menace has finally become unmasked!  however, i was under the mindset that this particular edifice was going to be a brilliant architectural marvel.

instead, not only does it look a bit ordinary in contrast as per all of the prior confusion / upheaval... it seems as though it shall indeed blend in quite well upon it's new galleria surroundings.  

upon my most earnest opinion, this new edifice is modern, classy, along with very clean lines throughout.  however, this is no marvel of architecture that we were led to believe was approaching.

simply nothing new here.  nonetheless, congrats to amegy bank! 

Kind of like the Phantom Menace movie. Awesome trailer (I saw "Meet Joe Black" when I was 11 so that I could see the trailer). Finished movie....not so much. 

That being said, I am curious as to how this thing might look at night. The Bank of America building in Dallas is a green blob by day, but has those neat lights by night.

Looks ok.  Like I said before - far from being the masterpiece it was lead on to be by "those" and "them."

I think the AMEGY sign does indeed take away from what is otherwise a clean edifice.  Thankfully we don't have too much signage on towers in Houston.

• Like 1

Hate to say it but color me disappointed. With all the talk of this "crown," I think it built up my excitement too much, thus the letdown feeling I now experience.

But it is nice to see another high-rise addition to the growing Uptown skyline.  

• Like 4

did anyone actually say this was going to be an architectural masterpiece? or is this another case of HAIFism specualtion gone wild?

my money is on the latter.

It's definitely been hyped af if you've read any of the posts. No one said those exact words but it sounded like the second coming of Christ from the rumors. I can understand the disappointment.

• Like 2

Just figured I'd post the old qoutes about this building and let people make up their own mind. Personally, I think the tower looks great.

Meyer declined to say how much the building will cost, and it'll be a few more weeks before Amegy has renderings of what the 350,000 square feet of space will look like, but "it will be a very handsome building," he said.

the new amegy bank building should be well received on here - it will easily be the most attractive building directly on the loop. 

I want to say 20 total - 15 or so office on top of a 5 or 6 story podium garage. There will also be design element on top that will extend the height somewhat. 

Saw a rendering of it last week.  Should look very nice. 

Only saw it for a minute.  Very round, cylinder like. Light Blue glass... Large crown? I guess you could call it that extends a few floors above the top.  Lighting feature that runs up the side of the building I think.  Don't know if it is on both sides.  Just saw the angle from San Felipe and 610. 

Yes, I realize this description sucks. 

That's pretty spot on... I'm hesitant to even call it a crown though but it does extend beyond the usable floors. It will definitely have a great impact along 610, that's for sure. 

Although the rendering has yet to be released, I will echo what others have said on this forum. This will be the best looking building on the west loop, and is the dream team for Dev/architect/GC. I've been told from an anonymous source that the construction will commence the beginning of December. It will be an outstanding addition to the surrounding area.

Williams tower is classic Hines and a timeless building, no one argues that. Amegy's building will be a very modern Hines development that aesthetically will be different than other buildings on the West Loop. I believe it will really stick out when heading southbound on 610, but again this is just my opinion.

• Like 7