United States Postal Service At 3740 Greenbriar Dr.

• The title was changed to Inner-City Post Office Relocations
On 2/19/2014 at 8:45 PM, Dakota79 said:

Not much to this story as far as details, but I am hoping it means consolidation - not just relocating them. I sure midrises will go in their place.

http://m.click2houston.com/news/5-houston-post-offices-will-get-new-locations/-/16714936/24565554/-/9l67joz/-/index.html

Broken link.  I'll update the thread.

https://www.click2houston.com/community/2014/02/19/5-houston-post-offices-will-get-new-locations/

HOUSTON – Some of Houston's most frequented post offices will soon be getting new homes.

The U.S. postal service has decided to relocate five inner city post offices to new buildings within the same zip codes.

That list includes offices on Greenbriar near Portsmouth, Timmons near West Alabama, Almeda near Old Spanish Trail, Town and Country Way near I-10 and Richmond near Yupon.

Postal service officials say the new locations have not yet been chosen and added their will be no interruption in service when these post offices are moved to new buildings.

• The title was changed to Post Office in Upper Kirby at 3740 Greenbriar Dr.
15 hours ago, hindesky said:

With the demo of this, the W. Alabama demo and the Richmond demo where are us in the west side of the loop supposed to go for a Post Office? :angry:

Isn’t there supposed to be a post office in each zip code, or is that no longer a requirement? If it is, I don’t know where the postal service is going to find cheaper real estate in these areas to build new substations.

2 hours ago, danielsonr said:

Isn’t there supposed to be a post office in each zip code, or is that no longer a requirement? If it is, I don’t know where the postal service is going to find cheaper real estate in these areas to build new substations.

I think the goal used to be one post office per ZIP code, but this hasn't necessarily been the case for quite a few years now.

But the USPS has far bigger problems than sourcing real estate to build new facilities:

The Postal Service Is in Deep Trouble. Here’s One Way to Get It Out.

That piece glosses over the details of the Congressionally-mandated pension funding requirements which are IMO the biggest issue. This one provides some needed context:

How Congress Manufactured a Postal Crisis — And How to Fix it

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

With the demo of this, the W. Alabama demo and the Richmond demo where are us in the west side of the loop supposed to go for a Post Office? :angry:

Probably to the facilities to which they relocate... The article says they plan to relocate these post offices.

• The title was changed to Post Office In Upper Kirby At 3740 Greenbriar Dr.
  • The title was changed to United States Postal Service At 3740 Greenbriar Dr.

Archived