KTRK Ch. 13 crew gets gun pulled on them

Blue Dogs

Dermond Fernandez, reporter for KTRK-TV Ch. 13 and videographer Gerzain Garcia went to the home of Larry Ricketts, 73, of Huffman to interview Ricketts on-camera about the sexual assault allegations that Ricketts was accused of sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl.

Ricketts responded by pointing a handgun at the news team, as was seen on Garcia's videotape.

Mike McGuff of McGuff blog and the Harris County Sheriff's office reported this story and I want to know what is y'all reaction to this incident ?

http://mikemcguff.blgospot.com/2014/02/ktrk-abc13-crew-gets-gun-pulled-on-them.html

News team should not have been trespassing. What part of "private property" do they not understand.

You might want to read the statute on criminal trespass. If you want to keep people off your property you need to either erect a fence or post a No Trespassing sign. If neither are present, you have to actually tell them to leave before they're required to leave. And preferably not while brandishing a firearm at them.

We can't have people brandishing a gun every time the Girl Scouts knock on someone's door to sell some cookies.

Anyway, this is ridiculous behavior by this guy. Hope they follow through on the prosecution.

You might want to read the statute on criminal trespass. If you want to keep people off your property you need to either erect a fence or post a No Trespassing sign. If neither are present, you have to actually tell them to leave before they're required to leave. And preferably not while brandishing a firearm at them.

We can't have people brandishing a gun every time the Girl Scouts knock on someone's door to sell some cookies.

Anyway, this is ridiculous behavior by this guy. Hope they follow through on the prosecution.

I know what the statute says. I also have no sympathy for the news crew. Maybe next time they will call for an appointment before violating someone's privacy.

I know what the statute says. I also have no sympathy for the news crew. Maybe next time they will call for an appointment before violating someone's privacy.

That slack jawed yokel could've told them to leave without pulling a gun on them. Don't tell me he didn't look out the glass door before opening it and see the big ass news van parked out front and the man standing there with a microphone in his hand and not know it was a news crew.

This guy will have plenty have time to think about his mistake in prison. Knocking on someone's front door is not violating their privacy.

He didn't have to open the door in the first place. 

How else do you tell the kids to get off your lawn?

Would I have done the same as this guy? Probably not to the extent of starting with pointing a firearm at them, but if they didn't leave in about 2 seconds, the next step would be the ultra bright flashlight shined in the lens of the camera.

I don't think the assault charge sticks, the firearm possession might if he had bail conditions prohibiting such possession, or had been previously convicted of a crime that removes firearms rights.

How else do you tell the kids to get off your lawn?

Would I have done the same as this guy? Probably not to the extent of starting with pointing a firearm at them, but if they didn't leave in about 2 seconds, the next step would be the ultra bright flashlight shined in the lens of the camera.

I don't think the assault charge sticks, the firearm possession might if he had bail conditions prohibiting such possession, or had been previously convicted of a crime that removes firearms rights.

All he had to do was order them off his property. He hadn't done that yet. He had no right to brandish a firearm at them. They might take a plea on the assault charge, but I doubt it is getting dropped.

All kinds of people knock on front doors. Political volunteers, people selling cookies or magazines, neighbors that want to address a neighborhood issue, religious people...none of these people violate someone's privacy by simply knocking on the front door.

When I see political pollsters, religious folks and the like at my door, I choose not to answer.  It's been my experience that they will leave voluntarily after about  60-90 seconds of waiting.

But this man, if he did see their truck and knew it was a TV crew, obviously knew why they were there. 

Archived