Aspire Post Oak: Multifamily High-Rise At 1616 Post Oak Blvd.

Mab

Just checked HAR. You're not kidding, that place is expensive. Some of the units are twice the price per sq ft of a nice house. Then you have to pay an enormous maintenece fee on top of that. I was in the market for a house in this price range last year. No way I would consider a high rise, just too expensive for what you get.

The view from the south side units is really breathtaking and will be blocked. They'll be taking a pretty big financial hit when this building goes up. There are a dozen units for sale that have been on the market for a long time that aren't selling, and won't unless they steeply discount them or get a really dumb buyer. Depending on the placement of 1660, the southeast units may not have as much of a blocked view, but you're still going to have people looking directly in your window.

Randall Davis never acquired an aerial easement over his neighbors. Folks at the Cosmo could litigate, but I doubt they'd have much of a case. Caveat Emptor.

Has any tower ever been stopped because it impeded views of another tower in Houston?

Rather than saying it blocks our view they will say "traffic, egress, shadows, etc forgetting that their building does the same thing. Many of the things Used against ashby and unsuccessfully the Hines tower on San Felipe.

• Like 1

Rather than saying it blocks our view they will say "traffic, egress, shadows, etc forgetting that their building does the same thing. Many of the things Used against ashby and unsuccessfully the Hines tower on San Felipe.

Next up tenants of Randys' Arabella project will complain about their views being obstructed when something goes up on the parcel in front of it. He should build taller or acquire sites where the view will still be there long term. 

Next up tenants of Randys' Arabella project will complain about their views being obstructed when something goes up on the parcel in front of it. He should build taller or acquire sites where the view will still be there long term. 

Developers could acquire an aerial easement over the property across the street from them in order to preserve their rights to a view, or could otherwise obtain a longterm lease for the air rights.  If memory serves, Donald Trump pays a handsome sum every year to Tiffany's in New York to lease the air rights above the shop along Fifth Avenue to preserve the views in the tower next door.

Developers could acquire an aerial easement over the property across the street from them in order to preserve their rights to a view, or could otherwise obtain a longterm lease for the air rights.  If memory serves, Donald Trump pays a handsome sum every year to Tiffany's in New York to lease the air rights above the shop along Fifth Avenue to preserve the views in the tower next door.

Tenants of Randys' should work together, look into this and fork over some money to buy air rights, probably dirt cheap here compared to most cities! I think it will never be done here with our no zoning restrictions and ample space to build, even if we favor more high-rise development down the road. If developers begin to spit out cash for air rights to preserve views, that's saying a lot about our skyline - I wish we were there!

Posted this pic on another forum for a better visual. I'm so ready for this tower to extend the curved wall on the west side of Post Oak southward. The project will be shorter than BHP Billiton by ~30-40 feet and Cosmo will be the filling of the Oreo. Didn't someone say they were also unhappy about BHP Billitons' tower as well?

23825800513_b9e26637bf_h.jpgHouston Marathon 2016 by Arie, on Flickr

• Like 9

The folks complaining about this highrise are wasting their time. That is one choice intersection.  If a developer wishes to make a ton of money that certainly is a good plot of land. Why wouldn't they build? I just hope Trammel Crow which also have another great plot of land, block 98 downtown, also develop theirs. These sites seem win-win.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Battle-heats-up-over-proposed-tower-in-Uptown-7004224.php

A Houston developer has filed a pre-emptive strike against the owners of a luxury high-rise near the Galleria to head off an "inevitable lawsuit" over its plans to build a tower next door.

Brown said Wednesday that her group met with the developer, Dinerstein Co., several times to discuss homeowners' concerns over the size of the proposed tower, its proximity to their own 22-story building, and related traffic and safety issues. She said the association wants the building to be half as tall and 100 feet farther away.

But she said she was surprised to learn that the owner of the lot next door, an affiliate of Dinerstein Co., had filed suit against her group.

In its lawsuit, the developer is asking for a declaratory judgment prohibiting the homeowners association from asserting a nuisance claim for the construction of the tower. It also wants a judge to declare that the association does not have standing to assert an action "based on alleged violations of city ordinances." Attorney's fees are also being sought.

The developer claims in the lawsuit that it addressed concerns raised by the condo owners by modifying the proposed building's design. The changes included lowering the height of the parking garage, allowing it to line up with the Cosmopolitan's garage; moving the building's cooling systems to the roof; and designing the structure so views from the Cosmopolitan would be less obstructed.

Another key point in the lawsuit is a construction agreement between both property owners that was put in place when the Cosmopolitan was being developed in 2006.

That developer obtained a "temporary use and aerial encroachment easement agreement" from the then-owner of the Post Oak property. The agreement allowed construction equipment to essentially swing above the neighboring property.

As part of that agreement, the Cosmopolitan developer granted a reciprocal easement, allowing the Post Oak property owner to build a high-rise on its land in the future with the same construction rights.

Bill Miller, a consultant hired by Dinerstein, said the company hopes to resolve the matter peacefully. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, brijonmang said:

I promise if you go back to page 7 you will find one

Nope. Just building elevations. I mean it looks nice, but I would like to see a few perspective renders just to see the colors and get an idea for the materials.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...