Aspire Post Oak: Multifamily High-Rise At 1616 Post Oak Blvd.

Mab

Wow so cool!!! Thanks for posting that!

and what are everyone's thoughts on the roof next door and how to rectify those types of situations (other than a much needed power wash that would last a couple of days, weeks, months maybe)? Are most roofs painted white for temperature reasons? I wish there was a way to have the roofs of the businesses be dark...to not show so much dirt etc...

I would hate to pay so much money to have that then be part of the view, my "slight" ocd would drive me nuts haha! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gene said:

Wow so cool!!! Thanks for posting that!

and what are everyone's thoughts on the roof next door and how to rectify those types of situations (other than a much needed power wash that would last a couple of days, weeks, months maybe)? Are most roofs painted white for temperature reasons? I wish there was a way to have the roofs of the businesses be dark...to not show so much dirt etc...

I would hate to pay so much money to have that then be part of the view, my "slight" ocd would drive me nuts haha! 

I think they are now required to be white, for temperature, energy efficiency reasons.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think they are now required to be white, for temperature, energy efficiency reasons.

5 hours ago, gene said:

Are most roofs painted white for temperature reasons? I wish there was a way to have the roofs of the businesses be dark...to not show so much dirt etc...

I'll let an architect comment and correct me on this, but doing my fair share of roof inspections for commercial office buildings I think I can explain.The energy code IECC requires a specific solar reflective index for the roof membrane. This is indeed for energy and temperature efficiency reasons. TPO roofs or Thermoplastic polyofin roofs are common roof membrane. Bituminous roofs arent dead though, now and days they coat them to meet the reflective values. 

If your really want to get into the weeds, heres a pretty decent explainer on 'cool roofs' by national manufacturer. (PDF warning)

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/global/en/commercial-roofing/brochures/RS-7651_Cool-Roof-Solutions.pdf

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I'll let an architect comment and correct me on this, but doing my fair share of roof inspections for commercial office buildings I think I can explain.The energy code IECC requires a specific solar reflective index for the roof membrane. This is indeed for energy and temperature efficiency reasons. TPO roofs or Thermoplastic polyofin roofs are common roof membrane. Bituminous roofs arent dead though, now and days they coat them to meet the reflective values. 

If your really want to get into the weeds, heres a pretty decent explainer on 'cool roofs' by national manufacturer. (PDF warning)

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/global/en/commercial-roofing/brochures/RS-7651_Cool-Roof-Solutions.pdf

Agreed. Its not "required" to be white (as far as I know), but since white is the most reflective color in the spectrum its what it has to be.

As far as the architecture side of things, firms I've worked at thus far always rely on a "Building Envelope Consultant", and someday whenever I start my own practice, so will I. You'd be surprised just how little thought goes into what the actual roof looks like from above since one rarely sees the roof from that perspective. This is like asking about what will interior of mechanical chase look like...nobody really cares (certainly not the engineers). All we care about is how water is getting off the roof and if that plays into the buildings aesthetics, and what the R-value is in the insulation used so we meet energy code. Thats it. There are other complexities involved, but without getting into really boring detail this is about all there is on our end of things.

EDIT: Oh yeah and about color/reflecting into the eye. Honestly its not that much. However, @gene you have certain brought up the tradeoff for having an all white roof. While its good that it reflects light to lower the energy demands of the building the tradeoff is that it reflects and it reflects in all directions. Opps. Bituminous is a great solution for roofs and is easy/cheap, but the tradeoff is that it has a terrible "heat island" effect. Opps.

I think I heard once that "Life is about tradeoffs". These are examples of it. Nothing is perfect even if people try to lie and tell you so. 

@gene @Houston19514

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

All that is interesting and I figured there were good reasons for the white roofs (mainly saying i figured it was temperature related...) but my god i would probably just pay someone myself if i needed to, just to climb up there and power wash it monthly if that was going to be my view!!! haha! 

• Like 2

I have a white TPO roof on my house, and all it really takes to keep clean is about once a year during a heavy rainstorm, go up there and sponge the dirt loose and let the rain wash it away.  Or haul a hose up there and wash it off.  You could pressure wash it, but you'd want the pressure set low so you don't damage the membrane.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It is hard for me not to pick downtown. I have lived here for 11 years and it is the biggest change to me in terms of Discovery Green, GBR, hotels, new buildings and nightlife.

I pick Post Oak for most unique building and changing the view down 610.

I have to give a shout out to Buffalo Bayou and the hike/bike trails. That has been a huge improvement and taken Houston from moo to hip. 

The change in east end with BBVA Compass Stadium is impressive too.

Edited by thatguysly
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Timoric said:

Who wins the decade?

1. Post Oak 

2. Downtown (DLI, Hines bumper crop, GRB, hotels galore, HSPVA etc)

3. Med Center usual robust additions, I think next decade is where they win wth TMC3

4. Midtown resurgence (Little Australia, Superblock, Innovation District)

5. Oil HQs - Exxon etc - low rise but massive and Energy Corridor build up (high vacancy though)

6.River Oaks District and the new wall of buildings there

7. Buffalo Bayou and other parks

8. Upper Kirby

9. Museum District

Downtown by far.  The HEART of Houston.

• Like 7