Aspire Post Oak: Multifamily High-Rise At 1616 Post Oak Blvd.

Mab

5 hours ago, gene said:

the cosmo IS in the rendering...that is it directly behind the new building...they did a bad job representing it but that looks to be it just to the right of the building showing just a 1/3 of it. 

ok, but  i thought that was the BG building. and the one between it and the new building appears to be behind the BG Billiton  building, which would make it one of Borlenghi's three blue  buildings because the Cosmo would be in front of the BG Billiton building. I think they did just what most developers do. They leave out the competition and keep their rendering mostly about their building. If you scroll up to Houstonian 4life images on this page you will see an image of what I'm talking about. Jesus, that building is ugly.

• Like 1

Let's not hit the Cosmo too hard.  The base is bad, but don't forget it used to be worse (#NeverForgetUrinals)!  Also, for the area, and the unit size, some of the condos are pretty price-efficient now.  If you want to own a place with floor to ceiling windows in Uptown, and don't want to drop $1M for a 2/2 at the Arabella, this is your baby. All-in with condo fees it's comparable with the new 2/2 apartments nearby.  There's a bunch of them on the back side (away from the construction) on higher floors for $600k.    

LINK

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 9:15 PM, bobruss said:

ok, but  i thought that was the BG building. and the one between it and the new building appears to be behind the BG Billiton  building, which would make it one of Borlenghi's three blue  buildings because the Cosmo would be in front of the BG Billiton building. I think they did just what most developers do. They leave out the competition and keep their rendering mostly about their building. If you scroll up to Houstonian 4life images on this page you will see an image of what I'm talking about. Jesus, that building is ugly.

haha!!! agreed!!! 😂

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 9:15 PM, bobruss said:

I think they did just what most developers do. They leave out the competition and keep their rendering mostly about their building.

Like Gene already said, the Cosmo is in this rendering. I’m not sure why you still think they left it out? Zoom in/look at the building set backs.

That’s a view of the Cosmo that I can get used to.. heh

CEFC9F60-1032-4708-B353-5313A7BA3537.jpeg

• Like 6

#same ! haha

and was curious to see just what one of the future obstructed units would be going for currently and boom found this:

https://www.har.com/1600-post-oak-boulevard-1006/sale_69608467

It is currently the lowest priced of 6 listed units...it will be interesting to see how many go up for sale in the coming months, years...

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

It takes a lot of concrete to build high on this soil!!

On another note:  I had a rambling post about how these developers should work towards more reasonable solutions... but that was a tiresome paragraph.  Ultimately, what we have is a new, and soon to be much more common problem here in Houston, specifically in Uptown and Downtown.  Highrise overcrowding.  Which is a welcome problem as we add density.  Downtown won’t be quite as impacted thanks to the street grid, but this could become a bigger issue than Randall Davis’ little faux-deco and this much nicer 40something Tower.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2019 at 11:45 AM, cloud713 said:

Like Gene already said, the Cosmo is in this rendering. I’m not sure why you still think they left it out? Zoom in/look at the building set backs.

That’s a view of the Cosmo that I can get used to.. heh

CEFC9F60-1032-4708-B353-5313A7BA3537.jpeg

Ok, so once again your red pen strikes me down. I promise I won't question anyones vision ever again except maybe mine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, gene said:

#same ! haha

and was curious to see just what one of the future obstructed units would be going for currently and boom found this:

https://www.har.com/1600-post-oak-boulevard-1006/sale_69608467

It is currently the lowest priced of 6 listed units...it will be interesting to see how many go up for sale in the coming months, years...

Looking at that link, it's amazing how much that building improves when the facade color is adjusted to something that wouldn't belong better on a 1962 Thunderbird.

• Like 2

Other than its dreadful podium and its protesting residents I really don’t think the design of the Cosmopolitan is as atrocious as many people like to say it is on here. The tower portion above the garage is neither stellar nor bad looking IMO. With that said, I honestly do not care whether it’s “blocked” from view or not. Want to see truly ugly, look at the neighboring Astoria, and those two faux Tuscan style, beige behemoths, Camden Post Oak and Dominion Post Oak Apartment Towers.  When can we pretty please block those from view too?!

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, intencity77 said:

Other than its dreadful podium and its protesting residents I really don’t think the design of the Cosmopolitan is as atrocious as many people like to say it is on here. The tower portion above the garage is neither stellar nor bad looking IMO. With that said, I honestly do not care whether it’s “blocked” from view or not. Want to see truly ugly, look at the neighboring Astoria, and those two faux Tuscan style, beige behemoths, Camden Post Oak and Dominion Post Oak Apartment Towers.  When can we pretty please block those from view too?!

The astoria is a scar on uptown that i'll never forgive RD for. The cosmo isn't really that bad. 

• Like 4

Well... things are looking up. Literally!

Hoping we continue to see some better architecture in Uptown.

And man..!  Does anyone want to guess # of that rebar for the foundation?  And that would be size not quantity to the lay-person.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gene said:

I don't know why, but i HATE that darn Astoria top/crown/pyramid thing...it always makes me think of this movie for some reason:

Image result for astoria houston

And that weird little door up top has been open for the past few days and looks super ratchet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, richfish said:

What's the purpose of the divot in the middle? Just more area for concrete to make it heavier? 

The center is probably going to have the shear wall and central lateral system for the building. This is normally going also hold the elevator banks. So consider the weight of the shear wall, your matt foundation might need more thickness to handle the shear loads. You're also going to need a depressed area (though not that much) for the elevator banks. Theres a couple of other reasons but without really getting into the weeds, i'll just explain, more loads, more concrete. 

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 7