Jump to content
Mab

40-Story High-Rise Development at 1660 Post Oak Blvd.

Recommended Posts

Wow so cool!!! Thanks for posting that!

and what are everyone's thoughts on the roof next door and how to rectify those types of situations (other than a much needed power wash that would last a couple of days, weeks, months maybe)? Are most roofs painted white for temperature reasons? I wish there was a way to have the roofs of the businesses be dark...to not show so much dirt etc...

I would hate to pay so much money to have that then be part of the view, my "slight" ocd would drive me nuts haha! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gene said:

Wow so cool!!! Thanks for posting that!

and what are everyone's thoughts on the roof next door and how to rectify those types of situations (other than a much needed power wash that would last a couple of days, weeks, months maybe)? Are most roofs painted white for temperature reasons? I wish there was a way to have the roofs of the businesses be dark...to not show so much dirt etc...

I would hate to pay so much money to have that then be part of the view, my "slight" ocd would drive me nuts haha! 

 

I think they are now required to be white, for temperature, energy efficiency reasons.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

I think they are now required to be white, for temperature, energy efficiency reasons.

 

5 hours ago, gene said:

Are most roofs painted white for temperature reasons? I wish there was a way to have the roofs of the businesses be dark...to not show so much dirt etc...

I would hate to pay so much money to have that then be part of the view, my "slight" ocd would drive me nuts haha! 

 

I'll let an architect comment and correct me on this, but doing my fair share of roof inspections for commercial office buildings I think I can explain.The energy code IECC requires a specific solar reflective index for the roof membrane. This is indeed for energy and temperature efficiency reasons. TPO roofs or Thermoplastic polyofin roofs are common roof membrane. Bituminous roofs arent dead though, now and days they coat them to meet the reflective values. 

 

If your really want to get into the weeds, heres a pretty decent explainer on 'cool roofs' by national manufacturer. (PDF warning)

 

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/global/en/commercial-roofing/brochures/RS-7651_Cool-Roof-Solutions.pdf

 

 

 

 

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all that insight...interesting to know! And again, it's just my OCD...I am just one of those people 🙈

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

 

 

I'll let an architect comment and correct me on this, but doing my fair share of roof inspections for commercial office buildings I think I can explain.The energy code IECC requires a specific solar reflective index for the roof membrane. This is indeed for energy and temperature efficiency reasons. TPO roofs or Thermoplastic polyofin roofs are common roof membrane. Bituminous roofs arent dead though, now and days they coat them to meet the reflective values. 

 

If your really want to get into the weeds, heres a pretty decent explainer on 'cool roofs' by national manufacturer. (PDF warning)

 

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/global/en/commercial-roofing/brochures/RS-7651_Cool-Roof-Solutions.pdf

 

 

 

 

 

Agreed. Its not "required" to be white (as far as I know), but since white is the most reflective color in the spectrum its what it has to be.

 

As far as the architecture side of things, firms I've worked at thus far always rely on a "Building Envelope Consultant", and someday whenever I start my own practice, so will I. You'd be surprised just how little thought goes into what the actual roof looks like from above since one rarely sees the roof from that perspective. This is like asking about what will interior of mechanical chase look like...nobody really cares (certainly not the engineers). All we care about is how water is getting off the roof and if that plays into the buildings aesthetics, and what the R-value is in the insulation used so we meet energy code. Thats it. There are other complexities involved, but without getting into really boring detail this is about all there is on our end of things.

 

EDIT: Oh yeah and about color/reflecting into the eye. Honestly its not that much. However, @gene you have certain brought up the tradeoff for having an all white roof. While its good that it reflects light to lower the energy demands of the building the tradeoff is that it reflects and it reflects in all directions. Opps. Bituminous is a great solution for roofs and is easy/cheap, but the tradeoff is that it has a terrible "heat island" effect. Opps.

 

I think I heard once that "Life is about tradeoffs". These are examples of it. Nothing is perfect even if people try to lie and tell you so. 

 

@gene @Houston19514

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All that is interesting and I figured there were good reasons for the white roofs (mainly saying i figured it was temperature related...) but my god i would probably just pay someone myself if i needed to, just to climb up there and power wash it monthly if that was going to be my view!!! haha! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a white TPO roof on my house, and all it really takes to keep clean is about once a year during a heavy rainstorm, go up there and sponge the dirt loose and let the rain wash it away.  Or haul a hose up there and wash it off.  You could pressure wash it, but you'd want the pressure set low so you don't damage the membrane.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gosh i love following the progress of this development! Thanks as usual for the photos!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is hard for me not to pick downtown. I have lived here for 11 years and it is the biggest change to me in terms of Discovery Green, GBR, hotels, new buildings and nightlife.

 

I pick Post Oak for most unique building and changing the view down 610.

 

I have to give a shout out to Buffalo Bayou and the hike/bike trails. That has been a huge improvement and taken Houston from moo to hip. 

 

The change in east end with BBVA Compass Stadium is impressive too.

Edited by thatguysly
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Timoric said:

Who wins the decade?

 

1. Post Oak 

2. Downtown (DLI, Hines bumper crop, GRB, hotels galore, HSPVA etc)

3. Med Center usual robust additions, I think next decade is where they win wth TMC3

4. Midtown resurgence (Little Australia, Superblock, Innovation District)

5. Oil HQs - Exxon etc - low rise but massive and Energy Corridor build up (high vacancy though)

6.River Oaks District and the new wall of buildings there

7. Buffalo Bayou and other parks

8. Upper Kirby

9. Museum District

Downtown by far.  The HEART of Houston.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I knew this thing was going to be close to the Cosmopolitan but that's insane ... lol.... they are gonna be able to reach out and touch each other!  lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

wow-e1484418777188.png

@Skyboxdweller simply OUTSTANDING illustration!  we can even view the new road construction happening upon POST OAK BLVD...

Edited by gclass
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

Wow I knew this thing was going to be close to the Cosmopolitan but that's insane ... lol.... they are gonna be able to reach out and touch each other!  lol

 

Hopefully this keeps getting to be more the norm in that part of town.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

Wow I knew this thing was going to be close to the Cosmopolitan but that's insane ... lol.... they are gonna be able to reach out and touch each other!  lol

 

haha yeah i already posted that they should just build a zip line between the 2! i mean maybe that is how they can "repay" them for blocking some of their view...allow a zip line across and maybe a connected waterslide down to their pool! 😮💡‼️

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timoric said:

As far as height goes would like to see the top 10 now in Uptown both current and under construction, it could change soon with McNair of course we hope, definitely the biggest decade of growth in 30 years for Uptown

 

According to Emporis (they don't show anything for McNair yet)

 

1.   Williams Tower  901

2.   San Felipe Plaza  646

3.   5555 San Felipe  562

4.   The Post Oak     496

5.   Five Oaks Place 477

6.   Aspire Post Oak  453

7.   Four Leaf Towers I  444

      Four Leaf Towers II 444

9.   1330 Post Oak Blvd  420

10. The Mercer              401

11. Five Post Oak Park  389

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO amazing to see this rising so quickly!!!!!!!!! loving the photo updates as usual!!! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 6:07 AM, Timoric said:

Who wins the decade?

 

1. Post Oak 

2. Downtown (DLI, Hines bumper crop, GRB, hotels galore, HSPVA etc)

3. Med Center usual robust additions, I think next decade is where they win wth TMC3

4. Midtown resurgence (Little Australia, Superblock, Innovation District)

5. Oil HQs - Exxon etc - low rise but massive and Energy Corridor build up (high vacancy though)

6.River Oaks District and the new wall of buildings there

7. Buffalo Bayou and other parks

8. Upper Kirby

9. Museum District

Great question! Needs it own thread through.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, Houston19514 said:

 

According to Emporis (they don't show anything for McNair yet)

 

1.   Williams Tower  901

2.   San Felipe Plaza  646

3.   5555 San Felipe  562

4.   The Post Oak     496

5.   Five Oaks Place 477

6.   Aspire Post Oak  453

7.   Four Leaf Towers I  444

      Four Leaf Towers II 444

9.   1330 Post Oak Blvd  420

10. The Mercer              401

11. Five Post Oak Park  389

I do see the McNair project on Emporis. It’s planned (proposed) and states 3 towers.

1. Rosewood Hotel - 678

2. McNair Residential Tower - 438

3. McNair Office Building - 239

 

I’m sure things could change though, but still it’s interesting. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emporis height estimates need to be taken with a grain of salt. They calculate 13.3’ per floor if no official height is disclosed. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew it was going up fast but thats amazing. How do they get them to move so fast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed! There are just a TON of workers on this site...when i ride my bike past or my jeep it is so exciting to see this rising above the fence/wall line!!! They are all working very hard to get this thing built quickly after all the delays i am sure! exciting stuff! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 3:18 PM, gclass said:

wow-e1484418777188.png

@Skyboxdweller simply OUTSTANDING illustration!  we can even view the new road construction happening upon POST OAK BLVD...

I am on the 37th floor of Four Leaf Towers and look east and south.  My view towards downtown is going to be framed by this new building, but I"m happy to have new neighbors and restaurants.  This area would work a lot better with higher residential density.  Maybe restaurants would stay open later and we might support more entertainment options.  The rooftop cinema is a good addition. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...