That "it's hot in Houston" is so tired. I have lived in Baltimore and it was just as hot, just as humid, and we walked 1-2 miles to go to a restuarant because the parking was so bad. NYC you can walk as far. Same with Chicago. And they are hot in the summer, and when you go to a restuarant they charge for tea refills! 5 years ago in Houston you never saw a pedestrian. Now you see them and bicyclists everywhere. It's great to go out and eat and walk it off. An added bonus is you are more connected to the city when you walk and see the houses, businesses etc.

• Like 7

Yep. Yep. Especially downtown. I was driving by the other day and it was around Lunch time. People everywhere. Yeah not the streets are packed or anything, but wow is it a huge difference from even just a few years ago. You got more people going to the local parks especially the Bayou. I work around Greenway Plaza and there are always people walking in that area to go to lunch. Of course it would be even better if most the areas were more walkable and there wasn't so much surface parking taking so much of the front areas of the lots. 

The killer here when it comes to weather is always the humidity and while others certainly have it, we are most certainly famous for it. I think it simply comes to the fact that this entire city has been relatively spoiled due to A/C and cars with A/C so the people aren't properly acclimated to the weather. I think it's definitely improving though. There will always be A/C and cars and no one I think has a problem with that, but a city should be pedestrian dominate first and cars second.  

• Like 1

You know the city requires 2 parking spots for a single family home because they say its needed because in Houston you have to drive everywhere you go. There are also so many parking spot requirments for each business. If the people in charge would undrestand that THIS requirement, poorly planned streets (only for vehicles not pedestrians, bikes, etc) and no shade tree requirement is the reason that Houston is being held off as a walkbale city, not heat and humidity.

If nothing else just the fact that this has become a discussion worthy of the paper and other public forums is a move in the right direction.

As the density levels go up and more retail and service related projects get developed I'm sure we'll see a larger segment of the inner loop community on foot and bicycles. Now that the city has adopted a livable street plan to be developed with all segments of mobility included in the plans for new street construction you'll see even more focus on this kind of growth. 

Obviously it wont happen soon enough and some parts of town will never see it, but areas of the Heights, Montrose and the village will be the first due to the density levels and the wonderful canopy of trees that already exists in much of this area.

Ever since David and Jay Crossley's group started fighting for walkable streets it seems like there has been a new momentum developing and thru their tireless fight they were one of the reasons the Mayor went with the new street plans for future construction. 

In watching them work it is obvious that with more attention focused on this situation more has been accomplished. 

I highly recommend anyone really interested in making these dreams become reality to get more involved in letter writing, speaking before city council,and getting active in Houston Tomorrow. It will make a difference. The squeaky wheel always get the grease!

Yep. Yep. Especially downtown. I was driving by the other day and it was around Lunch time. People everywhere. Yeah not the streets are packed or anything, but wow is it a huge difference from even just a few years ago. You got more people going to the local parks especially the Bayou. I work around Greenway Plaza and there are always people walking in that area to go to lunch. Of course it would be even better if most the areas were more walkable and there wasn't so much surface parking taking so much of the front areas of the lots. 

The killer here when it comes to weather is always the humidity and while others certainly have it, we are most certainly famous for it. I think it simply comes to the fact that this entire city has been relatively spoiled due to A/C and cars with A/C so the people aren't properly acclimated to the weather. I think it's definitely improving though. There will always be A/C and cars and no one I think has a problem with that, but a city should be pedestrian dominate first and cars second.  

I agree, its really a cultural thing. We've been so spoiled to having A/C that we fail to really enjoy the weather. I mean even on really nice days, people have their windows rolled up, and I'm like "WTH!?" Even with all that, we are only crazy hot for like 3 months out of the year. The rest of the year is actually really nice for us. I don't mind the heat, I'm use to the humidity. It's when I go further north like dallas, that the heat stings more and I'm not use to that at all.

• Like 1

I mean I think its pretty safe to say the variance will be approved for a development as nice as this

along with the fact that both bars are closing with one of them saying they are going to be in the second level of the new building. Cafe Express has been handing out flyers about them leaving there building.....so very safe to say that it will pass. More like a formality at this point.

oh no!

oh yes!

I am worried about this having pretty big delays, and I wonder what's going on behind the scenes here. I believe the intention is there for this to be built, but I rather see this start up next month opposed to in3 years

Edited by Avossos

Looks like someone working for the COH didnt receive there bribe

Have we figured out what the concern is? I am curious what needs more investigating...

Also - I wonder if they will build both towers at the same time.

I doubt this is all that unusual. Relax, everyone.

According to the article in the chronicle (consider the source), the developers are asking the city for changes in land-use restrictions. Considering there are generally no land-use restrictions in Houston, I would say this is a highly unusual case.

Didn't this happen with the Hine's Market Square project, when it came up for review with the historic district review board a few months ago?

When you've been around for a while you never take anything for granted. Thats why I questioned someone earlier this post about taking a vote on Thursday. This property has been a hotbed for legal issues and I'm sure the people in this neighborhood won't go down without a fight.

Just like the cosmo guy. Now he's a real piece of work. I want to live in a urban setting as long as I can delegate what gets built around me. 

Glad that this is going through. I thought it would eventually meaning we should see boots on the ground within the month to start the demo. My guess for the hold up was that there was a restriction on the property because at one point one of the bars was a funeral home. Idk if that makes any difference, but it's possible maybe there was a specific restriction put into place because of the lands former use?

Another one is the fact that they had to fuse a bunch of properties together to form a large block.

I'm just taking a guess, but honestly who cares at this point. Lets get that crane up!

According to the article in the chronicle (consider the source), the developers are asking the city for changes in land-use restrictions. Considering there are generally no land-use restrictions in Houston, I would say this is a highly unusual case.

There are countless land-use restrictions in Houston, and under Bill White and Parker, those restrictions have jumped in number.   This is not unusual, much less "highly unusual", at all.

• 1 month later...