Will Kirby Drive Ever Be Extended/Holmes Road Reconstruction

From the stub at Beltway 8 to the part at 59 where you could bump over the paved-over railroad tracks (this is the route I went to see my cousins), Kirby Drive has been one of the earliest roads in Houston I was aware of and knew, but are there actually any plans to build more segments of it?

- Since the early 1990s, some sort of industrial yard was added at Kirby south of Holmes. 

- In the late 1990s, Reed Road four-laned. According to OpenStreetMap, Kirby is supposed to go down Reed Road part of the way before going south.

- Between 2010 and 2011, a segment was added between south of Airport Blvd.

- Around 2005, Kirby was built south of Orem, with the intersection being designed to accept further additions of Kirby north.

- Anagnost and Almeda Genoa is where Kirby would eventually go, but the intersection isn't designed to accept the "stubs" that Kirby would add onto.

- Beltway 8 South built "stubs" for Kirby when it opened in the mid-1990s.

- South of Shadow Creek Road, another Kirby section was built. They actually appear to have incorrectly "stubbed" out Kirby requiring the end of where Kirby was supposed to be demolished and rebuilt.

When all is said and done, Kirby will extend some 15 miles from US-59, but I have no idea how far in the future that will even come close to being done. Does anyone know on the status of linking Kirby up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there's a whole mess of roads that are in various "stub" condition. Bellaire extends an awfully long way into Katy, near the old Eureka Yards, Ella Blvd. starts and continues (they recently made an extension of it near Acres Homes, taking advantage of an intersection designed for it) 20 miles to Spring (that is, if they complete it), and others I've undoubtedly missed. What I want to know is if there's actually active plans to build anymore Kirby segments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Finally these extensions are happening

the Buffalo Speedway extension from Willowbend to W. Orem is almost, the bridge over Holmes is set to be done in Fall of 2018

whiling the W. Airport from Hiram Clark to Almeda/FM 521 is set to be done in also Fall of 2019

i looked at the satellite view of Google Maps and it looks the the MLK extension from Almeda-Genoa to Beltway 8 is finally happening

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Will Kirby Ever Be Extended?

That area is kind of odd looking if you fly over it on Google Maps. A big empty gap in development in the middle of the city with a weird mix of ugly townhouse complexes with no yards facing it. Does anyone think in time it will fill in with conventional housing subdivisions?

• Like 1

at Holmes and Kirby a RV park is coming oddly enough. Now that Buffalo Speedway is wide open, you can see the potential for some additional housing but will they do it? It could be a solid upper middle class area and spur development if done right. Don't make it dense and you have trees already.

That area will arguably have some of the best access as West Airport will run all the way through (ends at Post Oak) from I-45.

Buffalo Speedway runs from 59 to West Fuqua

Orem runs from 288 to Fondren but will eventually go from Mykawa

Hiram Clarke will eventually run to the Beltway from 90

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2014 at 11:33 AM, IronTiger said:

- Since the early 1990s, some sort of industrial yard was added at Kirby south of Holmes. 

That is Williams Brothers Construction. Apart of the concrete division, believe it's a crushed concrete yard.

Looks like Kirby will extend in the future.  Have to buy out WB of course.  Kirby goes through their property.

2012 Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan  Amendment Request.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/mobility/MTFP_12/PCAction/02_Kirby_PCAction.pdf

EV084lW.png

sPgGDOn.png

• Like 3

On 8/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, Highrise Tower said:

That is Williams Brothers Construction. Apart of the concrete division, believe it's a crushed concrete yard.

Looks like Kirby will extend in the future.  Have to buy out WB of course.  Kirby goes through their property.

2012 Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan  Amendment Request.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/mobility/MTFP_12/PCAction/02_Kirby_PCAction.pdf

EV084lW.png

sPgGDOn.png

That curve to join/become Reed Rd. is interesting. It looks like there's ROW saved from Reed southward next to the HLSR lot for Kirby to link up with the disjointed sections inside the Beltway and eventually link up to the section in Pearland.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The Holmes Road reconstruction from Main Street to Kirby Drive. This one is taking for ever!  I did notice the street sidewalks are extra wide.  There are also newly paved driveways into the Holmes Road parcels of land.  It's looking very nice. The sidewalks are a dream. I believe the street will also get new street lights and utility poles.

Fcxp7nQ.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Will Kirby Drive Ever Be Extended/Holmes Road Reconstruction
On 9/24/2022 at 7:48 PM, Highrise Tower said:

The Holmes Road reconstruction from Main Street to Kirby Drive. This one is taking for ever!  I did notice the street sidewalks are extra wide.  There are also newly paved driveways into the Holmes Road parcels of land.  It's looking very nice. The sidewalks are a dream. I believe the street will also get new street lights and utility poles.

Fcxp7nQ.jpg

I was thinking they would've been finished by now! I hadn't been that way in a couple of months and was wondering if it was complete. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Holmes Road looking great!! Almost finished. I'd predict the road will be fully open by April 2024.

I see there are only side walks on one side of the street.  The UT land has been left a lone. Edit: There are curb cutouts though.

At least the sidewalks that were built are extremely spacious. It's a nice road!

wHdYF8k.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Holmes Road from Kirby Drive to Buffalo Speedway Connector Road is now open! Let's f'king go!!!

1) Just in time for Rodeo season. This allows people to use back streets to navigate rather than sit in the Rodeo traffic.

2) Sadly, I wonder how long until poverty finds out and lines the new street with tires, couches, mattresses, and refrigerators.

3) I wonder if this will spark any movement with UT's 307 acres or TMC's 500 acre BioPort? The vacant land now has sewer lines, water drainage, and utility infrastructure, plus a brand new road!

4) Any media or press releases about this yet? Once again, HAIF broke the news!

Edit: Quick photo from today.  You can see the newly planted trees in the center median.

VPpNCDZ.jpeg

• Like 3