Jump to content

Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel


Mab

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, JoninATX said:

I'm sure it will survive. This will give tourist who's visiting Houston a true taste of Texas. 

Or a caricature of Texas.  I have never been to this place.  But from the look of it it strikes me as a "urban, up-market, honky tonk". I may be wrong be that's what I see in the renderings.  I am sure it will be a fun place, don't get me wrong.  But if this place is what I think it is, is that really a "true taste of" what Texas is? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2017 at 7:50 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

 

 



Updated renderings of The Rustic opening at 1836 Polk St

c4EKPgw.jpg

D9pFfwn.jpg

9VQ3fM3.jpg

9ul8TN7.jpg

9zi9tfy.jpg




Old posts about The Rustic here.

I thought the Rustic was going to be on Richmond Ave in Galleria area.  I saw it yesterday.

Edited by htownbro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t  see how this will be successful.  What do you guys think? The location stinks for something like this. 

I have similar concerns but I think that convention goers will flock to the place.  If the theme is as described above, the place seems to me to be designed as a caricature of what Houston might have been like at one time (but never really was?).  However, that image is in the collective imagination.  As such, I think that many conventioneers will flock there to experience a “Texas Honky Tonk”........

 

i also think that it will attract the before and after sports event crowds and also the before concert crowds (imagine a Country western act at Toyota...... this place will be packed to the gills before the curtain).

 

is the enough to prosper?  I don’t know.  But I am glad it’s coming.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think this will do extremely well.  There isn't a venue like this downtown (that I know of), and it will pull residents from South downtown and Eado, along with the expected business travelers/concertgoers.  While this may not be the ideal use of downtown land in the long term, I think it will be great in the near term - especially considering the success that the Astros and Rockets are currently having.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not sold on this “honky tonk” venue either. It seems massively out of place next to the hulking convention center, Hilton/garage. But hey that’s Houston right? It’s definitely not there for the long term as this and two other abutting blocks have been designated for future convention center expansion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2017 at 0:54 AM, nate4l1f3 said:

I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t  see how this will be successful.  What do you guys think? The location stinks for something like this. 

 

I share your pessimism regarding this. It's just not in a good location considering the frequency of conventions and sporting events. Downtown needs to consolidate and improve on its activity centers instead of creating new ones. If they were so hell bent on creating a new area then why not along the rail nearby, primarily at the Convention Center stop. 

Edited by kdog08
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand the concerns. It was a vacant lot that will now attract more people downtown. I won't be going but Houston is full of rednecks and country western fans. I hear the one in Dallas does well so let them fill an empty space for a while, draw more people downtown , generate more foot traffic and revenue while the convention center makes plans for the future. It sure cant hurt anything. Im sure restaurants, hotels and parking lots will be happy to have the extra business. It might surprise you how well they will do.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m all for the Rustic but question the location for a totally different reason.

 

It seems pretty clear GRBCC will eventually expand southward with a new expo hall in the future. Why build the Rustic (and the parking garage) on these sites if the plan is to eventually expand the GRBCC here? 

 

My preferred location wouldve been the CenterPoint substation site, sandwiched in between Hilton Americas, The Grove, Discovery Green & Toyota Center. Plenty of visibility and a much better use of prime site then what currently there today.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tigereye said:

I’m all for the Rustic but question the location for a totally different reason.

 

It seems pretty clear GRBCC will eventually expand southward with a new expo hall in the future. Why build the Rustic (and the parking garage) on these sites if the plan is to eventually expand the GRBCC here? 

 

My preferred location wouldve been the CenterPoint substation site, sandwiched in between Hilton Americas, The Grove, Discovery Green & Toyota Center. Plenty of visibility and a much better use of prime site then what currently there today.

The other half of the embassy hotel site would work as well. Although, I still have dreams of something really tall going there and blocking that waste of a building. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2017 at 0:54 AM, nate4l1f3 said:

I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t  see how this will be successful.  What do you guys think? The location stinks for something like this. 

 

nah, it'll work out just fine.

 

it works very well with conventions, many of the 3 day business conferences I've been to have a 'party night' where they take everyone somewhere. This will be a perfect venue for these kinds of appreciation events.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2018 at 2:26 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

The other half of the embassy hotel site would work as well. Although, I still have dreams of something really tall going there and blocking that waste of a building. 

 

There is no way The Rustic could have afforded the land on either of those sites, or on the rail line. It is in a nonvisible location in the back of everything because that is where land is cheap enough for something like this. All the visible blocks have some sort of high rise as their highest and best use. We should be happy that a use was found for one of these back corner blocks other than parking. The Rustic is kind of a destination place that doesn't rely on casual passersby like a normal bar or restaurant.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

 

There is no way The Rustic could have afforded the land on either of those sites, or on the rail line. It is in a nonvisible location in the back of everything because that is where land is cheap enough for something like this. All the visible blocks have some sort of high rise as their highest and best use. We should be happy that a use was found for one of these back corner blocks other than parking. The Rustic is kind of a destination place that doesn't rely on casual passersby like a normal bar or restaurant.

You ain’t gotta go around using logic and stuff smh

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

There is no way The Rustic could have afforded the land on either of those sites, or on the rail line. It is in a nonvisible location in the back of everything because that is where land is cheap enough for something like this. All the visible blocks have some sort of high rise as their highest and best use. We should be happy that a use was found for one of these back corner blocks other than parking. The Rustic is kind of a destination place that doesn't rely on casual passersby like a normal bar or restaurant.

I actually like how this place has the ability to help begin connecting DT and the East End. Once the freeway cap happens I doubt this location will seem "nonvisible." The fact it feels like a destination place is a good thing. And if this is a live venue for music then the location makes sense. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2018 at 0:48 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I actually like how this place has the ability to help begin connecting DT and the East End. Once the freeway cap happens I doubt this location will seem "nonvisible." The fact it feels like a destination place is a good thing. And if this is a live venue for music then the location makes sense. 

 

Unfortunately, when they do their freeway expansion (and if they do the cap) the cap will only extend as far as Lamar street. Furthermore, Polk street will no longer cross the freeway. 

 

This will not be a gateway to anywhere. If anything, the freeway expansion will serve to make this location even less desirable as it will be even more isolated from the east end than it is now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, samagon said:

 

Unfortunately, when they do their freeway expansion (and if they do the cap) the cap will only extend as far as Lamar street. Furthermore, Polk street will no longer cross the freeway. 

 

This will not be a gateway to anywhere. If anything, the freeway expansion will serve to make this location even less desirable as it will be even more isolated from the east end than it is now.

I know that, my point is that there will be more foot traffic in the area because of the cap. I highly doubt that side of downtown is just going to become this desolate island all by itself. This side is already developing and coming in to it's own. A live music venue, a few apartments are in the area now, I believe First Baptist is renovating a building for a downtown location. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2018 at 1:20 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I know that, my point is that there will be more foot traffic in the area because of the cap. I highly doubt that side of downtown is just going to become this desolate island all by itself. This side is already developing and coming in to it's own. A live music venue, a few apartments are in the area now, I believe First Baptist is renovating a building for a downtown location. 

 

I think you're right, if they do the cap, there will be more foot traffic, but there's two things. The cap isn't a sure thing, and the cap will only promote growth on the north side of the convention center. having more than a football field of freeway and no way to cross over it will be a detriment to east/west pedestrian traffic. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://houston.eater.com/2018/1/19/16910320/kulture-downtown-houston-soft-opening

Kulture is still gearing up for its grand opening at the end of the month — but the downtown Houston restaurant’s doors are open, serving a soft-opening menu featuring its traditional Southern fare. The downtown eatery is from The Breakfast Klub’s Marcus Davis.

The much-anticipated restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays at 701 Avenida De Las Americas, situated in the bottom floor of Partnership Tower.

 
The bar is also open, and so far, cocktails like the Mahogany 75 and the $6 happy hour Gin and Juice are proving to be popular. Meanwhile on the food side, the meatloaf meatballs, mac and cheese with a panko crust and the “calas and collards” rice fritters with collard green dip are proving to be hits.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not to sure how I feel about this though. Obviously I like the idea of it being DT, but I prefer a boutique hotel on top of the tower instead. A couple reasons...I’m not sure if height will be restricted if you’re building on top of the tower? I believe I read that they can only go so high at this location.  Also, I would love the W to be in its on site and fill in one of those parking lots. I’m not sure the street presence would be significant if you built on top of the tower and that would be my main concern. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a related note...Hubby and I had lunch at Kulture today and were remarking that we hadn't noticed the Avenida De Las Americas actually connects Toyota Center with Minute Maid Park (although it's hard to tell).  I believe this hotel will help create more to connect the Convention District, MMP, Discovery Green and Toyota Center.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...