George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

On 2/4/2020 at 7:11 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Yikes! Looks like Randall Davis tries his hand at a Michael Graves knockoff.

I know, right? Its like someone looked at his Portland Building, and was like, "yeah lets do an updated version of that. What could go wrong?"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

The Portland Building without all that pesky symmetry stuff.

Yeah, but what most don't realize is that even though that building has symmetry it still looks weird and awkward, and with postmodernism that is literally the point. Its saying "Look at this element of design which you believe to be the key to great design, and watch as I make fun of it, demolish it, and make it absolutely meaningless." Its why and how postmodern critiques were so powerful at that time. Once you jump the gap between Reduction to Deconstruction then everything and anything can become reduced to nothing. Its why mockingly said what I said because its the same silly game, but with a different coat of paint.

Just now, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I should have added "Not that the symmetry makes it any better." I liked Post-Modernism back in the early 80s...I have since recovered.

Its ok. We've all been there. Just like when we all thought as teenagers that its was the cool thing to not take things seriously, or be responsible for anything, or to do nothing.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I ate at Finn Hall with my cousin from Wharton last nite. He loved downtown. I can only imagine our city center in about 5 to 10 years. 

Exactly as it does now with no new towers for years to come if the Corona crap hype and the downturn in oil have any say in the matter. It could be a gloomy, gloomy decade for Houston.

6 minutes ago, wxman said:

Exactly as it does now with no new towers for years to come if the Corona crap hype and the downturn in oil have any say in the matter. It could be a gloomy, gloomy decade for Houston.

Highly doubt that. 

4 minutes ago, ZRFkris said:

What’s your cousin’s name? 

Victor?

No Mark

• Like 1

It's definitely a threat but you also have to realize this virus could be seasonal. Meaning, by May, there may be a large decrease in new cases by then. Hopefully by the summer time things have somewhat calmed.... but Houston needs to prepare for the fall. Chances are this hotel will be delayed since we see an across the board slash in people travelling.

• Like 5

You shouldn't go overboard on both ends of the spectrum. You have to take it seriously, but we shouldn't be panicking.

Yes, it can kill, but 80% of cases are classified as mild and can be treated from home. The ones we really need to worry about are the elderly, or anyone over the age of 60. I'm honestly okay with the measures companies and people are putting in place to curve the effects of the virus.

That being said, this will accelerate the recession. I'm more concerned with the overall economic impact than I am the physical impact, H1N1 infected nearly 60 million Americans and killed over 12,000 Americans alone: almost no one talks about it. But again, that isn't grounds to treat the virus lightly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

i will be treating the virus semi-lightly when i go to see my best friends band play this friday night in beaumont and when i go to unofficial sxsw in austin wed to sun next week! wish me luck! if you do not see me post after March 22nd i want you to know i loved you all and this board. thank you in advance for any and all flowers and balloons...i prefer a mixture of white and off white flowers and silver balloons. 

gene

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

omg you are THE best haha! I needed that today!!!! 😄😭😁

ps...you left out my hatred for the lot that is known as Post Oak Corner and my excited about Zone D' Erotica turning into a Velvet Taco...but whatevs! 😋

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, gene said:

ps...you left out my hatred for the lot that is known as Post Oak Corner and my excited about Zone D' Erotica turning into a Velvet Taco...but whatevs! 😋

having trouble figuring out how to comment on that transition in a manner suitable for a family forum... :ph34r:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5