George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

The park is getting loved to death.  It can and should be open to all families and all visitors.  But the management team who manage it have far too many "events" in the park that put an unsustainable pressure on it (and deprives some little second grader a place to fligh a kite).  We have donated cash to the park a number of times, bought deck chairs/pavers, etc.. But we stopped.  Why?  I disagree with management's view of the park's mission.  It can and should be a park for families with a few events.  Unfortunately, the park is actually more of a concert/movie/beerfest location first and a place for an 8-year old to fly a kite second.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

The park is getting loved to death.  It can and should be open to all families and all visitors.  But the management team who manage it have far too many "events" in the park that put an unsustainable pressure on it (and deprives some little second grader a place to fligh a kite).  We have donated cash to the park a number of times, bought deck chairs/pavers, etc.. But we stopped.  Why?  I disagree with management's view of the park's mission.  It can and should be a park for families with a few events.  Unfortunately, the park is actually more of a concert/movie/beerfest location first and a place for an 8-year old to fly a kite second.

I agree. The park is way over programmed. Probably because it's the first major park downtown. Now you've got a great alternative in the Water works at Buffalo Bayou, which is perfect for concerts and performing arts and has a great view of the skyline. Hopefully that can take some of the street off Disco Green. 

• Like 1

When Discovery Green opened, very few people (particularly children) lived close enough to use it with any regularity. Heavy programming is a huge part of its success. *Maybe* it will make sense to dial it back a bit as more residential buildings open nearby, but I wonder if the real solution isn't to plaza-ify portions of the lawn with some sort of permeable pavement that holds up better to crowds.

• Like 1

I was actually thinking about the size of discovery green the other day. In my opinion the ideal outcome would have been if the Marriott was the block closer the MMP and discovery green was expanded into the whole lot that the Marriott is being built on. But I'm definitely not complaining about the Marriott. 

Following on my comments above, while I fully support the changes to the convention center, I am even more convinced that these changes will drive even more "events" in what should be an urban "green" park.    I have previously written to park management expressing my concern.  They responded telling me that "events" were in the park's mission.  I am fine with events.  But I am not fine with events seemingly the majority of the  days.  

I have lots of places to donate my meager funds.  I want my dollars to go to kids.  I don't need to support a park that puts on a free rock concert 3 times a week that attract 60 year olds.  I would support a park that, instead, loaned "free kites" to any kid under 12 for 2 hours per loaner.  I would also support a park that loaned free blankets to folks for a picnic.  I have already purchased (via donation) deck chairs for folks to sit in and enjoy a park.  

The convention center redevelopment is now going to make the park a "corporate rentable asset":   Book a cenvention? Great! Rent the park too!  Hire a band, and dancers and waiters, and a magician.  We'll close the road!  Put up tents.  Cover the grass with a faux floor for your guests.  Don't worry, Make it private!  Kick the kids aside.  This is about corporate money, after all.  

The main 'lawn' and the hill by the stage are usually what gets blocked off for various adult events. For as long as the parks been open, that's what they've done. Most of the rest of the park is very kid friendly. there's a huge water feature they can run around and splash in, there's the green area between the dog run and the building, there's a hill at the north east corner (that would be perfect for flying a kite at any time). 

Yeah, there's a heck of a lot of adult themed events, what little kid wants to do yoga, or take salsa lessons?

I'd say though that more than half of the park is set aside for kids activities 100% of the time, and otherwise, there are still kid friendly activities. 

Sure, stay clear of the park this Saturday night, your kids want nothing to do with a flea market, but most of the time, it's easy. and if not, there's memorial park, hermann park, buffalo bayou park, eastwood park, mac gregor park, white oak park. countless more just within the loop. and most of these are within 5 minutes of discovery green.

definitely stay away the first weekend in April (March madness festival, probably going to be a bunch of college sports enthusiasts).

oh, and you might want to stay away May 7th as well, they'll be doing a screening of Mulan, I know I'll be bringing a date and a bottle of wine to this.

• Like 6

I don't understand what some of you are complaining about.

If you want to take a kid into a downtown park to fly a kite, you can save your trip and fly it in your own neighborhood park in the boring suburbs. At least you won't have to worry about a gazillion skyscrapers blocking the wind.

Maybe the rock concerts for old folks is played a little, but at least they're trying to get multiple people to utilize the park. Me, my sister, and little nephew went down there one Saturday about a month ago, and it was PACKED. They had little stands, selling different types of things, almost like an arts and crafts show and there were many food trucks around. That's the type of things we need ALL the time, flea markets, farmers markets, etc.

Just my opinion, but I really wish Houston would add a little flashy plaza somewhere similar to Victory did in Dallas. Houston needs some color to really draw people in.

My only fear with Discovery Green is that it might get too popular... to the point where the lawns are routinely fenced off to the public in order to accommodate private events. As for kid stuff, I bring my 4 and 2 yo down there all the time and they love it. 

When the downtown district first initiated the park program for Market Square in roughly 1999, they invited a park consulting firm down from Boston to help make market Square a viable destination and a place where people could be safe and comfortable. I was on the committee who worked on the initial planning sessions. We were asked what types of activities, needs and a want list for market square. Among the things that topped the list were farmers markets, dog walking areas, food outlets, concerts and areas for recreation. At the time there was a very small community living in the neighborhood, which included the Rice lofts, and several medium sized buildings around and near market Square, but absolutely no children except for Jim Pirtles daughter who lived above Notsuoh. The thing that I remember that stuck out was what these consultants who have worked in major cities planning urban parks all over the country said that to make urban parks work and become a place that people enjoy you need to schedule events and activities or the park will become what it was and that was a refuge for street people.

I know that is an issue with some suggesting that we should not be segregating them, but if you spent any time down in the old market square area before it was redeveloped this last time you would know that no one went to the park and it was used very little especially after dark simply because it had become a place where the street people homeless and drug and winos camped out. This was reiterated by these consultants who said the only way you could keep a park active was to schedule events.

Just after this was discussed Discovery green was developed and since this discussion had occurred about urban parks these concepts we had discussed became the criteria for Discovery Green hence all of the activities. It was planned as a green space adjacent to the convention center and  a park. remember this was way before there was an initiative to make downtown a place for residents including families with children. I think it is a very successful park and sure it does have a lot of activities, but I wouldn't trade it for all of the vacant parking lots in downtown. This is our plaza our main centrally located venue for people to come together for anything. 

Thats why we have Memorial Park, Herman Park, Buffalo Bayou Park, and on and on.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, scarface said:

Just my opinion, but I really wish Houston would add a little flashy plaza somewhere similar to Victory did in Dallas. Houston needs some color to really draw people in.

A flashy plaza like Victory in Dallas to draw people in??   That thought is making me dizzy.  The last thing we need is a flashy, deserted plaza like Victory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

A flashy plaza like Victory in Dallas to draw people in??   That thought is making me dizzy.  The last thing we need is a flashy, deserted plaza like Victory.

Perhaps we could look to the Dallas Street Retail project. So many blank walls, so many unsold Jumbotrons. 

Edited by Montrose1100
Forgot the second "A" in Dallas
  • Like 1

I don't care. At least they have it.

Dallas may not be Vegas or NYC, but at least it somewhat portrays it a little in its appearance. Not really trying to de-rail the topic, but me and my girlfriend went up there last weekend and ate at the revolving restaurant Reunion Tower, overlooking the beautiful nightlit city with night displays and the nice new Omni Hotel. All i'm saying is, it wouldn't kill Houston to add a little pizazz to and bring something a little more eye-catching.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, scarface said:

I don't care. At least they have it.

Dallas may not be Vegas or NYC, but at least it somewhat portrays it a little in its appearance. Not really trying to de-rail the topic, but me and my girlfriend went up there last weekend and ate at the revolving restaurant Reunion Tower, overlooking the beautiful nightlit city with night displays and the nice new Omni Hotel. All i'm saying is, it wouldn't kill Houston to add a little pizazz to and bring something a little more eye-catching.

Houston has a revolving restaurant as well downtown overlooking the city...

http://www.hyatt.com/gallery/spindletop/

7 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

Houston has a revolving restaurant as well downtown overlooking the city...

http://www.hyatt.com/gallery/spindletop/

Choo Choo, next stop, derailment!

but seriously the views from Spindle Top are no where near the views of Reunion. I mean the Hilton has better views, Chase Tower should have a fine dining experience. Oh well, maybe next super tall? 

On 3/14/2016 at 8:54 PM, Texasota said:

But it really was never supposed to be just a "green" park. They were very clear that it was going to be heavily programmed from the start. And I think these regular events draw people to the park. I certainly have enjoyed going for free yoga in the morning then, totally unexpectedly, finding myself in the middle of a Vietnamese cultural festival.

I understand that, as it is now, Discovery Green is not exactly what you were hoping it would be. I think a lot of people really enjoy whats been done with it though and a big part of that comes from these regular diverse events. And it seems like there are usually plenty of children using the park as well, so I don't think these uses are actually completely in conflict. 

Agree and one of the primary goals of the designer, Project for Public Spaces, is to have multi-use public spaces where diverse people can be in proximity to each other while enjoying a variety of activities.

7 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Choo Choo, next stop, derailment!

but seriously the views from Spindle Top are no where near the views of Reunion. I mean the Hilton has better views, Chase Tower should have a fine dining experience. Oh well, maybe next super tall? 

The 43rd on top of wedge tower has AMAZING views. It tried opening in the nightsand it was a massive failure.  Now their are open for lunch time so the demand isnt there.

The food is good thereby the way

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LarryDierker said:

Is Houston the skybridge capital of the world? serious question.

edit: never mind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway

The old Houston center design called for Skywalk all over the place.  People movers and monorail surrounded by these encased glass sky bridges criss crossed the area. The proposal was to make Houston the city of the future.  Looked like something out of the Jetsons

3 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

The old Houston center design called for Skywalk all over the place.  People movers and monorail surrounded by these encased glass sky bridges criss crossed the area. The proposal was to make Houston the city of the future.  Looked like something out of the Jetsons

Funny you should ask about skybridges. I think the east side of downtown will be completely connected by skybridges just like the west side is tunnels. Since it would be almost impossible to add tunnels to the east side it just makes sense to connect the rest of the city with skybridges. Then everyone can get to all of downtown either by bridge or tunnel but they will all connect.

Just something I was thinking about the other day.