Mab

Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building + Proposed W Hotel

4 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

I think the "Damn Decade" has to do with the I-45 realignment and 45/69 trenching. 

What does the I-45 realignment have to do with guest room renovations?

There are two separate topics.  A GRB Project and the Hilton Rooms reno.  You are correct, one has nothing to do with the realignment.  The other one does. 

• Like 1

"Saltgrass Steakhouse coming soon" sign now up in front of the GRB where Bud's was. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Any info on when city council vote on the W Hotel? 

I’ve heard that’s likely not to proceed.

• Sad 4

^ I hope it doesn’t get built. Houston’s W should at least look a little bit interesting 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

What’s the reason why?

I’m going to remain silent on that. Let’s just say financing issues.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

The tallest cherry picker I've ever seen is reaching over the top of GRB right now. I hope someone a little closer can take a picture; it's got to be twice as tall as the building itself.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alec said:

The tallest cherry picker I've ever seen is reaching over the top of GRB right now. I hope someone a little closer can take a picture; it's got to be twice as tall as the building itself.

I feel bad for those guys. I had a project a few months ago on several older water towers where the city(not in houston) had lost the original drawings and wanted to analyze the towers. I was on a 100' lift for about 2 weeks. Photo below is @ about 70'. Anyway long story short, anytime we moved that sucker it felt like it bounced around 1'-2'. Made my knees shake every-time. 

tQFjlbrp0qbp93X-SsZvC4JCTwuv4IKhcLenqwlsM660F30kzl1fR_uhxx_ylKLSMPAHXhE_6usH2KIDBokfqDQFGbbxnl3cdeF4-JEOlxvkYpQjt4NStJ_IAsfE8P6fcNUV4ddpVyX_HEd93c3wVKnYapT9hgcFne2osk7hSNICDfogvvphwF3SiYSZn4OS-BnRSkyCNjOdzTLIoH3vh8JZ55JNra8M-ifd3GqDRP3j0tiuONd8gq4ucQSuu-Txc6SGjj6PyYg6_IBHnMAiOD0c0Sj2cwi6fpWV6KO9tCDKV_1L8rVm82Qg7-s0fN5BN2Z53JjT1wBzj-WSRN0nsao--5hMy6zttOPsvq0UHhx2Z4Wy6AQ6H0SnZ_NL5sjdUlWyTRS9CCLPrQlccFVhedW031ggKJk83b_GIKY-l2yjqvLkiJgxzJbkbTF70fZIFcUtaBrJ3uaC6WtbkF04mV4bnU020UnU9TwXj-VXXzaCHpLAKfLzEdih9_iuPS5-xw0FGhiaj8KHB947N3hADV9rRkaheM8CfSjOK_PtovYMzq5X5WZ6WOG3Pl5kDCH8n6JCFDTNSYfLAP2Rw1ifmdxzCrGoIGY80R3-8Q3G-jMFl3rppm_SpIX3c0Nfy9dKHxv8CAaB2QJAF2sXgI8zAHx3H2FZ9T90=w808-h1077-no

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

Biggest one JLG makes is the 1850J  which has a 185' reach, biggest I've ever been on was 150' and it was scary to be up there when it moves around. Bend at the knees to absorb the movement. Actually they are called AWP(Aerial Work Platform) not cherry picker but most people just call them "JLG's since they are one of the most common, like Jello or Kleenex.

D1rupHz.jpg

G9Tzd36.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Biggest one JLG makes is the 1850J  which has a 185' reach, biggest I've ever been on was 150' and it was scary to be up there when it moves around. Bend at the knees to absorb the movement. Actually they are called AWP(Aerial Work Platform) not cherry picker but most people just call them "JLG's since they are one of the most common, like Jello or Kleenex.

D1rupHz.jpg

G9Tzd36.jpg

Self-sticks are overrated. We're moving onto cherry pickers.

• Like 1

omg that last picture...NO 😨

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Those are 1990’s hours. 

haha!!!!!🙈

its weird hours but i think because its the cafe located within the Greater Houston Partnership office/building so they have office hours...so basically breakfast and lunch. You would think on weekends at least they would stay open later...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I mean it's a steakhouse.  Those used to be the only restaurants downtown open for dinner.  

Edit: oh those are the hours for the other cafe disregard all of it

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, cspwal said:

I mean it's a steakhouse.  Those used to be the only restaurants downtown open for dinner.  

Edit: oh those are the hours for the other cafe disregard all of it

Ahhh ok didn’t catch that.  I was thinking where’s the steaks? 🤦🏻‍♂️

22 hours ago, gene said:

haha!!!!!🙈

its weird hours but i think because its the cafe located within the Greater Houston Partnership office/building so they have office hours...so basically breakfast and lunch. You would think on weekends at least they would stay open later...

I don't think it's in the Partnership Building.  Pretty sure it's in the GRB; a little south of the center of the building. It's the cafe located within the Welcome Center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't think it's in the Partnership Building.  Pretty sure it's in the GRB; a little south of the center of the building. It's the cafe located within the Welcome Center.

Correct! I knew it was in part of some type of "office" or business! Thanks for the clarification!!!

Interestingly enough the below article makes it sound like it could have extended hours at night during special events? not sure if that is the case, but that is how i read it.

http://ldforrest.com/avenida-eats

OVERVIEW

Avenida Eats is a grab-and-go casual dining concept that is part of the Houston Welcome Center which opened in Summer 2019. The three-part Houston Welcome Center which includes Avenida Eats, Launch and the Houston Information Center is located inside the George R. Brown Convention Center. Avenida Eats’ name is derived from Avenida Houston, the entertainment district that envelopes the convention center and nearby park, restaurants, hotels and surrounding area.

The audience for Avenida Eats is meeting/convention attendees and nearby office employees looking for a quick, affordable, bite to eat. Avenida Eats also is open to support weekend and evening special events on Avenida Houston by also offering a selection of beer and wine options. Food offerings include barbecue, tacos, sandwiches, salads and desserts.

Edited by gene
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

RE:  W Hotel.

From the June 20, 2019 Houston First Board of Directors Meeting minutes:  ". . . update on the W Hotel Development. . . .  the project team has made a lot of progress thus far, but they are still negotiating several key terms, including the room block agreement and insurance requirements."  "Al Kashani also addressed the Board regarding the W Hotel Development. Mr. Kashani stated he is excited about the W Hotel and very close to finalizing a deal with HFC, but he has some concerns with several items not originally included in the term sheet. He also discussed strenuous insurance requirements under the agreement. Mr. Kashani stated Houston is his home and he is committed to investing in the city, but he wants to ensure that he is treated fairly. Mr. Kashani requests the Board's support in finalizing the agreement."

Houston First is actually a pretty good organization, but with it being a quasi-public-private organization I'm sure the paperwork, bureaucracy, and stakeholders you have to maneuver around must be a nightmare. Glad this is still moving forward.

• Like 3