Mab

Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building + Proposed W Hotel

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

FdYN4yY.jpg

I love the concept but I'm not sure how appealing it will be to have a live concert abutting a noisy freeway.

It's amazing how much of a difference moving a couple blocks west would make, but I guess HoustonFirst had to go with the plot of land it owned.

• Like 1

When the freeway is trenched below ground, perhaps even with a cap if the funds can be found, it will be much less intrusive.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rechlin said:

When the freeway is trenched below ground, perhaps even with a cap if the funds can be found, it will be much less intrusive.

Unfortunately by then half of HAIF will have passed away from old age. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

On 5/21/2018 at 9:55 AM, mattyt36 said:

I love the concept but I'm not sure how appealing it will be to have a live concert abutting a noisy freeway.

It's amazing how much of a difference moving a couple blocks west would make, but I guess HoustonFirst had to go with the plot of land it owned.

trees and walls in the right place, you won't even know there's a freeway.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2018 at 9:55 AM, mattyt36 said:

20 minutes ago, samagon said:

trees and walls in the right place, you won't even know there's a freeway.

And their original (and apparently very successful) location in Dallas is also right next to a freeway, so I suspect they've got it figured out.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

And their original (and apparently very successful) location in Dallas is also right next to a freeway, so I suspect they've got it figured out.

Turn the amps up you mean?

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Albeit a submerged freeway there. Although this will be a submerged freeway in a decade if current plans go through.

• Like 1

A vote on the W hotel will be held today.

"Houston First is expected to vote today on deal that could bring a W hotel to downtown Houston.

The hotel would be built atop the Partnership Tower, Houston First's new 10-story office building next to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

At its board meeting Thursday afternoon, Houston First will consider a preliminary agreement with developer Texas Hospitality Partners to build the hotel.

The city's convention arm solicited proposals in 2014 from developers who could build the hotel, which was in the original plan for Partnership Tower. The structure at 701 Avenida de las Americas was designed to support the hotel."

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/W-Hotel-deal-proposed-for-downtown-Houston-goes-13159444.php

5 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

"Houston First is expected to vote today on deal that could bring a W hotel to downtown Houston.

The hotel would be built atop the Partnership Tower, Houston First's new 10-story office building next to the George R. Brown Convention Center.

At its board meeting Thursday afternoon, Houston First will consider a preliminary agreement with developer Texas Hospitality Partners to build the hotel.

The city's convention arm solicited proposals in 2014 from developers who could build the hotel, which was in the original plan for Partnership Tower. The structure at 701 Avenida de las Americas was designed to support the hotel."

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/W-Hotel-deal-proposed-for-downtown-Houston-goes-13159444.php

Anyone attending this meeting?

1 hour ago, Nole23 said:

Hope it has a nice rooftop restaurant and bar like the one near the White House in DC, that one isn't super tall or big, but nice

Edited by Timoric

7 hours ago, Nole23 said:

Awesome!  This part of Downtown has changed so much in the past few years ... starting with Discovery Green.  Love it!

Right. Why would anyone want to build a hotel within walking distance of a convention center, a baseball stadium, a basketball arena, a soccer stadium, a big park that sometimes has national sports related events, a theatre district, a light rail station and millions and millions of square feet of offices in the center of the 4th largest city and 5th largest metro in America? Greenspoint I can see. But overlooking Discovery Green? WTF? 

I think its a great location. The convention center area is a very vibrant area now with lots going on.

I believe it’s the best location for a W in Houston. This part of Downtown has more of a pedestrian friendly, open/outdoor vibrancy to offer than Uptown, which mainly centers around the very closed off Galleria.

1 hour ago, Reporter said:

Right. Why would anyone want to build a hotel within walking distance of a convention center, a baseball stadium, a basketball arena, a soccer stadium, a big park that sometimes has national sports related events, a theatre district, a light rail station and millions and millions of square feet of offices in the center of the 4th largest city and 5th largest metro in America? Greenspoint I can see. But overlooking Discovery Green? WTF? 

Also by the time this W is completed the population downtown would have passed the 10,000 mark. The hotel knows this also they're looking at the big picture. That area will one day give the

Uptown Post Oak district a run for it's money.

Just now, Nole23 said:

I wonder when the huge parking lot in front of this will be redeveloped

same, turning into such a prime lot. My dream development is a mixed use building with central market/modern furniture store on first floor and apartments above. 

I know the Galleria is a big draw but like Reporter so clearly stated, there is so much more to do downtown and areas connected by the rail. It's a no brainer. Downtown is the place for the W.

2 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

same, turning into such a prime lot. My dream development is a mixed use building with central market/modern furniture store on first floor and apartments above. 

The central market with apartments above is ideal in my mind.

With the success of Phonecia near Discovery Green in One Park Place I'm certain Scott McClellum of HEB has plans on the table to bring his Central Market or HEB Market concepts to the GRB

Area. With City Hall approving the W Hotel project,that alone will

supercharge retail in the district. He's probably willing to partner with a residential developer who would look to add a retail component too. 

35 minutes ago, Moderators said:

With the success of Phonecia near Discovery Green in One Park Place I'm certain Scott McClellum of HEB has plans on the table to bring his Central Market or HEB Market concepts to the GRB

Area. With City Hall approving the W Hotel project,that alone will

supercharge retail in the district. He's probably willing to partner with a residential developer who would look to add a retail component too. 

Do you think the convention center district would be the first choice over Market Square?

Hopefully they don’t put a giant purple neon “W” at the top of the tower. 

Central Market at the base of a residential tower would be a dream development for downtown. 

If and when this goes up that makes six high rises in the immediate downtown either at various stages of construction or highly possible: W hotel, Capitol Tower, Block 58, Camden Conte, the Marlowe, and highly probable Block 42.  Go Houston.

3 hours ago, Mattie said:

Do you think the convention center district would be the first choice over Market Square?

More likely it will be the Market Square District but you must consider the lack of space there. The only large plots available are the Chase bank drive-thru &

the Old Post Office. I'm inclined to believe these blocks will eventually have

skyscrapers built. HEB is currently building out their Buffalo Heights store, which is only a few minutes away down Washington Ave.The GRB/Eado area can

use a high profile supermarket. I've got nothing against Kroger, the Cullen and I believe at Polk store is a dump. It's also too far, HEB would be a great fit for the

GRB Discovery Green/Eado district.

Don’t forget the large open block along Main at Prarie.  The International Tower is also far from certain and that block could support grocery.

One thing about the downtown vs. uptown discussion is the homeless situation. Huge difference between those two districts. I’d say Uptown has a cleaner presence in general. 

I know this subject is highly controversial. That, I mean the homeless situation.

Caydon will be facing this in a year. Some parts of Main Street are just trashy. No offense.

Downtown has tons of hobos and can be trashy.  Uptown is boring with little life. I would choose the lively area over the dead.

Persons experiencing homelessness tend to be near the overpasses, seldom do they set up camp far from the highways. To me, the major areas of downtown (Market Square, Theater District, Discovery Green, etc.) do not see large amounts of this activity.

As time goes on, with the proposed demolition of Pierce elevated, continued Midtown development, the sinking of 59, and the proposed highway cap near the convention center/ball park, many of these camps will have to relocate to other, less developed sections of the city. 

That being said, the citizens of Houston need to be continually taking steps to assist these people instead of pretending as though they don't exist or are anything less than human.

Uptown may look "cleaner" to some extent but it's just not a walkable area in my opinion.  Downtown is more dense and walkable and you have the rail lines ... it feels more like a "city" and is getting even better with the population surge.  Uptown to me just means traffic and big avenues / boulevards.  I live in the GRB / soccer stadium area and love how I can just walk to so many things or take the rail if i want... don't need my car as much. 

Edited by HtownWxBoy

12 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

One thing about the downtown vs. uptown discussion is the homeless situation. Huge difference between those two districts. I’d say Uptown has a cleaner presence in general. 

I know this subject is highly controversial. That, I mean the homeless situation.

Caydon will be facing this in a year. Some parts of Main Street are just trashy. No offense.

The Main Street corridor does have seedy sections, but it is QUICKLY turning a corner.  The new high rises in Midtown, Rice’s pending “Innovation Zone”, Midtown Park and the probable host of other future developments will collectively push the homeless away and make Main Street a blindingly bright light in this town.  Fortunately, the developers investing here have the vision to see this area’s potential instead of accepting that it will always be a haven for homeless.  The greater problem is that the homeless will just migrate to some other underdeveloped part of Midtown or other neighborhood once Main Street is gentrified. 

49 minutes ago, treblelino said:

This has to be the shortest, dullest W I've ever seen. I hope the design is different and taller.

The garage was designed and built to only support so many stories and I would imagine they’re building as tall as they can. 

29 minutes ago, Mattie said:

The garage was designed and built to only support so many stories and I would imagine they’re building as tall as they can. 

Yep.  And I would further imagine that the final building design changes will have significant constraints too as the stresses/loads must traverse through existing foundation points in the existing structure.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:25 PM, TexasGeneral said:

Hopefully they don’t put a giant purple neon “W” at the top of the tower. 

Central Market at the base of a residential tower would be a dream development for downtown. 

Okay then how about a giant blue one that changes colors to pink and green?

I don't see what the point of having a W hotel if it can't be known that we have one. Besides, W signage is tasteful and elegant, not gaudy.

Now the Central market below residential in your statement, I agree with.

the design is perfectly fine, i just would have assumed that they would have needed closer to 12 stories to comfortably fit 306 rooms. maybe i'm wrong though. 

$120m construction costs are right on point for an 308-room upscale hotel though.

18 minutes ago, swtsig said:

the design is perfectly fine, i just would have assumed that they would have needed closer to 12 stories to comfortably fit 306 rooms. maybe i'm wrong though. 

$120m construction costs are right on point for an 308-room upscale hotel though.

It's going to be more than 12 stories, is it not? I think it's about 16 stories (on top of the existing structure).

8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It's going to be more than 12 stories, is it not? I think it's about 16 stories (on top of the existing structure).

Looks like 15 or 16.

B1BB7815-013A-4C90-BF68-57FDBFA38170.jpeg

On 8/22/2018 at 6:47 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The Rustic  at 1836 Polk in downtown Houston has made updated posts on Facebook in recent weeks. To me, that says they're getting Houston ready for it to open. From the progress so far,  this could open in October or November.

https://www.facebook.com/therustichou/

Update on The Rustic at 1836 Polk in downtown Houston, part of the George R. Brown Convention Center redevelopment in the Convention District:

It's opening in late October or November.

More details on the space:
There’s also a retractable roof, two VIP areas, and an Uber Lounge for ride-hailing users.

https://www.papercitymag.com/restaurants/houston-21-best-new-restaurants-most-anticipated-openings-end-2018/