The Studemont: Condominiums At 1101 Studemont St.

skooljunkie

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether this has been posted before or even whether it deserves a mention, but Fisher Homes has just been issued a permit for a midrise at 1011 Studemont, according to the Houston Business Journal. No further details, no rendering (not even on the Fisher webpage). "Midrise" and "multifamily" implies 4-6 stories. HBJ describes it as podium type apartments. $3.2 million development cost.

http://fisherhomesoftexas.com/studemont-mid-rise/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you guys seen the floorplans for these units?  Interior bedrooms (adjacent to the hallways, always fun with noise!) with NO windows.  All of those plentiful windows on the outside appear to be for the 'common rooms', dorm room style.  Couldn't pay me to live here.

studemont-midrise-plan.jpg

Have you guys seen the floorplans for these units?  Interior bedrooms (adjacent to the hallways, always fun with noise!) with NO windows.  All of those plentiful windows on the outside appear to be for the 'common rooms', dorm room style.  Couldn't pay me to live here.

studemont-midrise-plan.jpg

You do know that there are clearly windows in those Units, right?

Plus I actually like this! Not every freakin apartment needs to be ultra luxurious, nor does it need to have a large footprint to satisfy. My time in Europe made me appreciate the ability to better utilize space in a small area and still have it feel as roomy as something that is extra large. The only reason we have sqft averages as high as we do for normal sized apartments is simply because we have an over abundance of space which has taught us that it is ok to have enormous houses or enormous anything. Most of the time a lot of space is wasted and this is a very well compacted and highly efficient floor plan for such a confined plot of land. While it might not work for you I think it would work wonders for anyone starting out in town. Students would be a great fit as well. We complain about density all the time here. You want density to really rise quickly. Start building apartments that have sqft more like this.

Duh they have a few windows in the living room, but the bedrooms are on the interior hallway. They squeeze in an uncomfortable double front door alcove just so you don't have to enter your condo through your bedroom. $250k for a 750sqft condo that features 2 windows? Add in a $300 maint fee and you're in the 'you'd have to be crazy to buy this' range for such a tiny place in this area.

You do know that there are clearly windows in those Units, right?

Plus I actually like this! Not every freakin apartment needs to be ultra luxurious, nor does it need to have a large footprint to satisfy. My time in Europe made me appreciate the ability to better utilize space in a small area and still have it feel as roomy as something that is extra large. The only reason we have sqft averages as high as we do for normal sized apartments is simply because we have an over abundance of space which has taught us that it is ok to have enormous houses or enormous anything. Most of the time a lot of space is wasted and this is a very well compacted and highly efficient floor plan for such a confined plot of land. While it might not work for you I think it would work wonders for anyone starting out in town. Students would be a great fit as well. We complain about density all the time here. You want density to really rise quickly. Start building apartments that have sqft more like this.

It's not the size that is the problem, it's the price....$345/sq ft is crazy (plus maintenance fee)....

Duh they have a few windows in the living room, but the bedrooms are on the interior hallway. They squeeze in an uncomfortable double front door alcove just so you don't have to enter your condo through your bedroom. $250k for a 750sqft condo that features 2 windows? Add in a $300 maint fee and you're in the 'you'd have to be crazy to buy this' range for such a tiny place in this area.

Oh yeah the prices suck. That part I'm not in agreement with. There is a big problem in economics with stuff like this that I have no clue what it is the way it is.

I will defend the orientation a bit though as it's a flip in philosophy in where are you going to spend the most time either in the small bedroom or in the larger room with more windows. If that is where most of your time is spent then it makes sense for the orientation to be in this way. I mean really for most the bedroom is just where you sleep while the other room is where you do everything else.

Wow.  $3.2m development cost for 30 units, yet they are selling them for $180k to mid-$300s?  Unless the development cost doesn't include the land, they are making some serious profit.

Tiny bedrooms (can they even fit a queen sized bed with room to walk around?) typically with no windows in something people will be paying $310/mo in maintenance for?  And it's just a stick-framed low-rise but still going for $345/sq ft?  Such a hideous building, too. I wonder how much interest they'd get, because I certainly couldn't see wanting to live there.

• 2 months later...

Archived