Dallas The Movie Info

The two are rumored to have been cast as Pamela and J.R., originally played by Victoria Principle and Larry Hagman. Another rumor is that Brad Pitt will play Ray Krebbs.

Apparently it will take place in present day and not be a comedy spoof of the original series.

Robert Luketic of "Legally Blonde", "Monster In Law" will direct.

Robert Harling is writing the screenplay. Harling wrote "Steel Magnolias", "The First Wives Club" and "Soapdish" as well as wrote the screenplay and directed the Houston-set, "The Evening Star".

So do you think this will be used as a marketing trick to uproot the previous stereotypical plague that's been lingering over the dallas area since the 80's tv show? I think it would be really cool If they did. This gives us a chance to update the images that pop up in peoples minds when they hear about Dallas. QWe could really take advantage of this to show some of the newer modern projects and districts that now exist that we didn't have in the 80's. what do you guys in here think? :rolleyes:

I think it is another attempt at turning an old TV series into movies, and, like the others, will tank badly.

And, since Dallas' (like Houston, and Texas) only real attraction to the rest of the country, according to Hollywood, is its stereotypes, you can expect them in all their splendor.

So do you think this will be used as a marketing trick to uproot the previous stereotypical plague that's been lingering over the dallas area since the 80's tv show?
In my opinion, we still haven

"Debbie Does Dallas"? Never heard of that one. Is that a new show on HGTV?

:lol: :lol: I... I don't think I can post the summary on the board. I might ... offend someone. Google it. (Ack! It's not in IMDB??)

After-thought: Besides, if it was, men everywhere would be clamoring for the remote to switch it over to HGTV. And then what would we TLC "A Wedding Story" women do?

A lame remake of a bad 80s soap opera?  I wouldn't go see it if they called it "Houston"!

True about seein it any ways, seriously though I heard once that it was almost called "Houston" but the year when the soap started the Cowboys won the super bowl and started to become "Americas Team" so the people in charge thought "Dallas" would be a better sale then "Houston". Is their any truth behind this?

Thankyou

True about seein it any ways, seriously though I heard once that it was almost called "Houston" but the year when the soap started the Cowboys won the super bowl and started to become "Americas Team" so the people in charge thought "Dallas" would be a better sale then "Houston". Is their any truth behind this?

Thankyou

I heard something like that before. One of the radio hosts, Pat Grey or another local one mentioned it. But sometimes you can't tell if they're being serious or not so I've always wondered.

I know J.R. Ewing was based on James Dean's character from "Giant".

FYI, "Knots Landing" blows "Dallas" out the water.

Even though "Knots Landing" was a spin-off from "Dallas", "Knots" was actually created before "Dallas"! Bet you didn't know that, did you? "Dallas" was created for "Knots Landing".

Well, if you're going to remake a TV show like "Dallas", you pretty much are going to have to slap on the Texas stereotypes. People don't take it seriously, they expect it to be a little over the top. Isn't that part of what made shows like that fun? I say go for it: Suits with boots and cowboy hats, big hair, Cadillacs with horns on the hoods, the whole nine yards! :D

I think it is another attempt at turning an old TV series into movies, and, like the others, will tank badly.

And, since Dallas' (like Houston, and Texas) only real attraction to the rest of the country, according to Hollywood, is its stereotypes, you can expect them in all their splendor.

I remember watching Dallas as kid, loved it then and still watch it on The Soap Network. But really, why does Hollywood continue to do this? Most of them fail at the theaters, but overseas and DVD rentals/sales allow them to make plenty of money.

You think since attendance was down, they would come up with more creative projects. I guess the $$$ rules all.

I remember watching Dallas as kid, loved it then and still watch it on The Soap Network. But really, why does Hollywood continue to do this? Most of them fail at the theaters, but overseas and DVD rentals/sales allow them to make plenty of money.

You think since attendance was down, they would come up with more creative projects. I guess the $$$ rules all.

First of all, I have worked on movie sets before... I'm a screenwriter/comedian/actor... and I'm about to start production on my own first indie... You are absolutely correct about Hollywood - it is completely ruled by money. How do you think some of the worst movies have actually gotten written, bugeted, and made... Go browse through the isles at Blockbuster and look at some of the crap - the things that you would never even rent - that are on the shelves. (I recommend starting in the Horror section). You have to realize that most small indie films even have budgets of 100K or more. I worked on a really bad childrens indie where the lead actor had a 175K paycheck - and he was only one of the stars (he was the guy that played the lead in that movie Powder).

As for the stereotypes that Hollywood throws our way. It's sort of a which came first the chicken or the egg scenario. Is Hollywood creating the stereotypes, or merely playing off the bad job Texas has done advertising itself to the rest of the world? Almost every major city in Texas plays up the Cowboy/Country/Western theme to bring in tourist... So, if we really want to stop the ridiculous stereotypes then we should stop promoting ourselves that way. I think that of all the big Texas cities, Houston probably plays down the Cowboy/Country thing the most... Dallas and Fort Worth are the worst about it. Fort Worth still promotes itself as "Cowtown" for goodness sake. How ridiculous is that since FW is the 19th largest city in the country now and basically there is very little "Cowboy" left in the city's culture other than the FW Stockyards... FW is a big modern city... Dallas, a big modern city that is practically void of anything "country". San Antonio and El Paso are more "hispanic" than the are "country". Austin is more progressive/hipster. Houston is modern and has Nasa... It's just strange to me how Texas cities promote their past heritage without promoting their current modern cultures. Anyway, I think that's part of why Hollywood plays up those stereotypes. Unfortunately, they miss the mark and usually end up showing Texas as being full of redneck hicks and morons.... and they love to tie George W. to the whole backwards-arse mentality that the perceive as being "uniquely Texan". The ultra-conservative Christian movement has hurt Texas update it's image as a modern and progressive place. Most people in the North, East and West think that Texas is full of not only stupid Cowboys, but rednecks, and narrow-minded, super-religious, conservative, gun-wrack-toting, republicans which includes everyone between suburban soccer moms and white trash bubbas who appear on "COPS".

The stereotypes are a much more serious thing than just a little Hollywood fun. They actually represent the way most of the rest of the country sees Texas and Texans. The only people who don't see the problem with the way Hollywood portrays Texas life are the people who actually fit into one of those really insulting stereotypes. IMPO, Texas actually has a big public image problem to overcome.

Your post is correct on many counts.

There is one thing I tend to disagree with, though.

"Most people in the North, East and West think that Texas is full of not only stupid Cowboys, but rednecks, and narrow-minded, super-religious, conservative, gun-wrack-toting, republicans which includes everyone between suburban soccer moms and white trash bubbas who appear on "COPS". "

Many of us here in Texas sometimes feel that that is all that is here as well. As long as so many Texans feel proud to portray these narrow-minded and ignorant stereotypes, Hollywood and the news media will gladly reinforce them for us.

IMPO, Texas actually has a big public image problem to overcome.

Sure, lets just be "posers" like the rest of you people in the "industry." Pretending to be someone we are not is just as bad as being a "hick".

Hmmm. Who should I try to emulate?

How about NOBODY!

I am for all keeping it real, and if you don't like it, it's no skin off my red neck.

Thank you!

On a realted note, I really don't care for your sterotypical "New York Yankee"

But at least the people in the "industry" portray them like they are. Rude freaks.

So we should at least expect the "industry" to portray Texans like Texans, and not some bimbos from the "deep south".

Archived