El Palacio Restaurant At 3512 Main St.

dbigtex56

• 2 months later...
That's the old Kelley's restaurant.  I hope the building can be saved.  It dates from the mid-1930s and is one of the few remaining examples of Houston's Spanish Revival phase.

I hope so too; but today I notice that a chain-link fence has been erected around the Spanish Revival building and the adjacent building (formerly Richard's Antiques).

Hope this doesn't portend demolition... :(

• 10 months later...

Looks like there's activity at this site. The windows have been removed from the restaurant and antique dealer's shop, and graffiti and signage removed.

Either this is some very creative vandalism...or is something cookin'?

it was one of the proposed sites, in fact this was the site that Morris used in their official RFP. But it not the site that won the RFP and it wont be their headquarters.

Morris Architects has leased space in 1st City Tower.

Their mid-town project is dead.

Is this the building?

aa54sx.jpg

No, I don't think it is. Richards is at 3701 Main.

Is this the building?

aa54sx.jpg

Yes, one of them. It was formerly known as Richard's Antiques. The other building on this block (west side of Main St. between Holman and Berry) is the Spanish style former restaurant. If someone could post a picture of that building, it would be appreciated.

[day, November 15th, 2005 @ 5:54pm' post=58614]

aa54sx.jpg

Man, great building. Great awning on top, great rounded form , nice glass-paneled face and on a corner. I could be describing a woman but isn't architecture sexual anyway? How many round buildings to we have on street corners ? Round curb, round building.....it makes aesthetic sense, no? Those windows on top of the symmetrical entry doors...transoms? Is this possibly an even older building that was "adaptably re-used" in the 40s? Love those street numbers!

What I'm trying to say is that this building has great potential and fits into the new Midtown perfectly. I love the smaller deco-designed commercials and they are too easily overlooked and demolished and the perpetrators need to be prosecuted.

3500 Main must live.

I agree danax. I have found quite a few buildings in Houston I like photographing with great curb appeal at intersections. As "corny" as the design is on the Calais, I really like the presence of it at the intersection of Elgin and Smith, especially at night.

a2pb.jpg

OK, back on topic.

What I'm trying to say is that this building has great potential and fits into the new Midtown perfectly. I love the smaller deco-designed commercials and they are too easily overlooked and demolished and the perpetrators need to be prosecuted.

3500 Main must live.

danax:

I agree! That is a totally cool building-I just disagree with one thing: I think the new Midtown has the potential to fit in around buildings like this!

As far as prosecuting the perps...boy do I have some ideas!!! :lol:

B)

PS: Check out the old Kiam Bldg. downtown at Main and Preston. A fine example of a saved and restored 19th century corner building.

• 8 months later...
That's the old Kelley's restaurant. I hope the building can be saved. It dates from the mid-1930s and is one of the few remaining examples of Houston's Spanish Revival phase.

Alas, Kelley's and the building which formerly housed Richard's Antiques are no more. The block was cleared earlier this week.

R.I.P.

Guest danax
Alas, Kelley's and the building which formerly housed Richard's Antiques are no more. The block was cleared earlier this week.

R.I.P.

We have preservationists and we have developers but we sure don't seem to have any preservationist developers.

Too bad the Midtown TIRZ money has been Robinhooded by that 3rd Ward guy Coleman. This would've been a nice save. There aren't many antique structures left around there and of those that are left, how many will survive?

Midtown is turning into nothing but 21st century boxes; an inner-loop suburbia.

We have preservationists and we have developers but we sure don't seem to have any preservationist developers.

Too bad the Midtown TIRZ money has been Robinhooded by that 3rd Ward guy Coleman. This would've been a nice save. There aren't many antique structures left around there and of those that are left, how many will survive?

Midtown is turning into nothing but 21st century boxes; an inner-loop suburbia.

The overhang had been gone for quite a while and the only parts that remained were masonry. Richard's ended up moving cause they had no street parking at this location. I went by the new location earlier today and was going to go in but there was a sign that said i had to ring the bell so they could come open the door. Crime must be increasing in the area because before you could just walk in.

Thank you.

I've been thinking that exact same thing for a long time.

Well, maybe we won't feel so bad when we tear things down again in 20-30 years. Maybe then we can do some real stuff in Midtown. :angry2:

aside from kaldis, you're right...and spire realty just isn't "into it" anymore <_<

• 1 year later...

An update:

Still a vacant lot, but has been piecemeal paved for parking.

The latest paving covered the last of the old Mexican tiles which were still imbedded in the floor and sidewalk of the demolished building.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to 3500 Block Of Main St.
  • The title was changed to El Palacio Restaurant At 3512 Main St.

Archived