Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

All the planters are filled now?

awesome!  In 2 years, given budget woes and Cities being cities, the will all look like s**t..   Doubt me?  Look at all the other planter boxes around downtown.  Of all the improvements cities can make that have LONG TERM impacts, planter boxes are the worst idea, IMO..... They are never properly maintained, are the first expense cut when budgets decline, and the last to receive funding when budgets return.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
Add.

On March 11, 2016 at 7:06 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

awesome!  In 2 years, given budget woes and Cities being cities, the will all look like s**t..   Doubt me?  Look at all the other planter boxes around downtown.  Of all the improvements cities can make that have LONG TERM impacts, planter boxes are the worst idea, IMO..... They are never properly maintained, are the first expense cut when budgets decline, and the last to receive funding when budgets return.

IMO city has done a good job with continued upkeep dating back to 2004 of the Main St planter boxes along center divider in the north end.  

Edited by tigereye

On 3/11/2016 at 7:06 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

well then, as long as I still work downtown, I'll have to seed bomb them when I see the need arise. 

and they need to embrace the colorful intersection as permanent and stain/seal it, or use the same paint (just different pigments) as they have for the bike lane on lamar.

Edited by samagon

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I saw construction workers doing work on the Sakowitz building (hope I spelled that right)... I couldn't take a pic because I was on the train

Posted this on the other thread. Sakowitz is due to get an Artblocks install - the facial recognition display. 

art_blocks_mssq_artists.pdf

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Looks like it's go time for Renner's Trumpet Flower. Pieces are on site. 

I've never understood that  " AS WE BUILD OUR CITY, LET US THINK THAT WE ARE BUILDING FOREVER" element of the Main Street square fountain. Is it supposed to do something? I've never seen it work. Actually, I haven't seen any of the fountains working in the recent times I've been by there. Maybe I'm just picking windy days, but something tells me it's not living up to its original vision. 

19 hours ago, Sunstar said:

I've never understood that  " AS WE BUILD OUR CITY, LET US THINK THAT WE ARE BUILDING FOREVER" element of the Main Street square fountain. Is it supposed to do something? I've never seen it work. Actually, I haven't seen any of the fountains working in the recent times I've been by there. Maybe I'm just picking windy days, but something tells me it's not living up to its original vision. 

I have never seen that particular fountain on. It was supposed to create a wall of water with images of the city projected on it. That thing has never even been turned on. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WakeUpHouston said:

MetroTrain_003.jpg

Looks like a fresh render ...is this waterfall supposed to be added? Cause in the years I've been at 1KM, it's never done that. 

Edit: Went outside to look, don't see any plumbing unless it's way up there. This is the closest I can get as sidewalk is blocked for Trumpet Flower's installation. 

Edit 2 Coworkers say it was a waterfall and was recently turned off. Guess it was so insignificant, I never actually paid attention to it lol

Edited by tigereye

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

Looks like a fresh render ...is this waterfall supposed to be added? Cause in the years I've been at 1KM, it's never done that. 

Edit: Went outside to look, don't see any plumbing unless it's way up there. This is the closest I can get as sidewalk is blocked for Trumpet Flower's installation. 

Edit 2 Coworkers say it was a waterfall and was recently turned off. Guess it was so insignificant, I never actually paid attention to it lol

That thing has been there. It was never turned on for all these years. That is literally the first time I've seen it on. IMO I think this has to do with the recent events the city is getting. Since the Final Four is right around the corner it seems this is the only reason they turned the damn thing on. Pretty ridiculous. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

Im sorry but am i the only who thinks all this temporarily main st improvement is garbage? We have pot holes all up and down elgin and montrose and have so many other issues with the city. Instead we pump money into temporarily garbage looking art that will attempt to appease a few tourist that come here for the super bowl. Waste of money. 

47 minutes ago, astros148 said:

Im sorry but am i the only who thinks all this temporarily main st improvement is garbage? We have pot holes all up and down elgin and montrose and have so many other issues with the city. Instead we pump money into temporarily garbage looking art that will attempt to appease a few tourist that come here for the super bowl. Waste of money. 

I'm not a tourist and it appeases me.  Do we even know where the money is coming from?

41 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I'm not a tourist and it appeases me.  Do we even know where the money is coming from?

Guessing property taxes? This would rather appease you then the numerous pot holes driving down montrose or heights?

Edited by astros148