Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

Living downtown for seven years, I've never been approached by a prostitute. 95% of the panhandler paranoia is overblown. The other 5% can be handled by enforcing existing laws.

Agreed.

Worked Downtown for last 5 years, lived in Midtown and now East End. Commute is walk/train for the last 5 years. I plan on moving Downtown next as I enjoy walking to work and don't feel threatened at all walking around Downtown. In fact, I'd view living Downtown as most convenient for me. In addition to work, I spend much of my personal time Downtown frequenting bars/restaurants/theaters/parks. Have encountered some homeless or wannabe gangsta types, but never a pimp or prostitute.

The homeless problem is evident but IMO, it seems mostly confined to the 1100 block of Main (Northbound) in front of the Sakowitz. At Crackhead Central people are openly using drugs of all assortment or pissing on the Sakowitz at any hour. Police try to clean up the area but usually once a day around lunch time. But If the cops arrive to clean up, they drive their damn cruiser on the sidewalks, further complicating matters. And horseback patrol craps on the bike lane which doesn't help the smell.

I've said it before and I still believe that when that side of Main shuts down for reconstruction and the Sakowitz comes down, all this construction activity will drive them away. Dallas St reconstruction already pushes them further in on the block. If I had to guess, they'd move down Main to the 1400 block by the Chase daycare. They seemed to like the water fountains there (unless those get yanked with Main St redevelopment)

Tranquility Park is also a haven for the Homeless population but that could change depending on how it's redeveloped in the Theater District plan.

Overall, I'd say the homeless paranoia is overblown. Ive been hassled more at the Leon's Lounge patio by homeless looking for cigarettes than any place Downtown.

• Like 3

The problem is only a minority are actually down on there luck..most of the people you see have mental issues, are drug dealer gang members, or just disengage from humanity

It's compassionate to want to help folks in a bad situation whether it is of their own fault or not, but some people are beyond help short of incarceration.

Also as you point out, at some point, the efforts to help those in a truly bad situation attract people that don't need the help but will take it to subsidize their other bad habits.

No easy answers, but a permanent patrol from Sakowitz down to the $0.99 Store seems like a good use of tax money to me.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I dint like the over head view till I saw it from first person, it growing on me..

I wish they had gone a little bolder with the art form the 1 dollar store front (to safe to conservative )

The one that caught my attention is the swartz building, they seem to be saying some sort of video screen (think Chicago ) which will project people faces as they pass by....intresting

I like the proposal to have retail and food carts...something that is lacking in DT (due to restrictions).  NY and Chicago come to mind in having street vendors that add to the street life and pedestrian experience. It also makes sense to start small on Main and perhaps scale up to Market Square, Dallas St, Discovery Green and Greenstreet if the idea gains traction.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Art Blocks at Main Street Square Coming This Spring

The 900-1100 blocks of Main Street are about to liven up with monumental art installations that will remain for at least a year, beginning in March.

You can help create one of them.

Patrick Renner, the artist whose popular but temporary "Funnel Tunnel" recently filled an esplanade on Montrose Boulevard, will create a more vertical piece  -- "Trumpet Flower" -- that swoops down to create a canopy in a nook between One City Centre and its parking lot.

Renner works with re-purposed wood strips and will enlist the community to help him paint them before they're assembled into his public sculptures. The public painting party for "Trumpet Flower" is noon-4 p.m. Jan. 30 at Market Square Park.

Renner's installation is just one of the Downtown District's Art Blocks at Main Street Square project.

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

• Like 4

Maybe they could get them to extend that all the way to the ground and wrap around the side.

I'll take florals over a pattern any day. Chevrons make me angry now.

So basically it's just for a year until after the super bowl? I hope they continue to have art there, would be nice to finally have space for that in our space city. Murals are great and all, but no sustenance.

I'll take florals over a pattern any day. Chevrons make me angry now.

So basically it's just for a year until after the super bowl? I hope they continue to have art there, would be nice to finally have space for that in our space city. Murals are great and all, but no sustenance.

I think a mix of all kinds of art is important throughout the city. The more art and color, the better our minds operate... that's a fact. So hopefully they will consider making this a staple for the city even after the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the potato-quality photo, but they've already started beautifying this corner. A month or so ago they put this mural up diagonally across the street, on the old Battlestein's build (next door to the JW Marriott):

G6p8Ih0.jpg

That'll look great for my wedding photos.

Any chance this will *all be completed before September?

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

A look at the materials being used for 900 & 1100 block of Main St Sq. I like it - continuity with the fountain plaza.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/688851461854351360

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The new planter boxes are now in place on the 200, 300 and 400 blocks of Main. Might be more going south, but I can't confirm at the moment. They appear to be made of rusted steel.

24667969346_b8207c7051_b.jpg

This evening, saw them as far south as Texas Ave (in front of Rice Hotel & Chipotle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...