Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

We could set up health centers and treatment centers for those dealing with addiction, rather than spit at their feet and degrade them. Jesus, you guys can be so cruel. I get it, they can be annoying and smell bad, but it's a hell of a lot harder to get back on your feet when you've hit rock bottom. Some of them may have mental disorders and that's not their fault. There's no easily accessible mental health treatment centers available.

If you really want to "get rid of the homeless" because you either want to address the mental health issue, or if you just don't want to see them because they "disgust you", then we need mental health treatment centers that can give them a chance to get treatment for their addiction, and to help them begin a new life.

• Like 7

The issue is not the lack of mental health facilities, IMO. Rather, it is the constitutional determination that those deemed not a threat to themselves or others cannot be held against their will.

I am aware of a homeless man in downtown. I don't know his diagnosis but I do know he walks the streets talking and yelling to people or things he is "seeing and hearing". He will do that for a month or two. Then he will be gone for several weeks. Then he is back. He is no longer talking to his fiction. He is quiet, He sits, he walks. He smiles. He smokes. He is engaging with his environment. Then, when the free drugs he was given to control his affliction run out, he is back to his fiction.

I don't know his story. My guess is that when he gets hauled in and gets "cogent", he denies long-term admission and is back out on the street to let the cycle start over again.

Facilities are not the issue.

So you agree then that there's a mental health issue as an underlying cause of his and others behavior. So can you tell me how else are we supposed to tackle this issue? The few MH hospitals out there are stretched then and do not have the resources to help every homeless person get treatment.

Facilities themselves are not an issue; it's the abhorrent lack of these facilities, and the lack of funding for treatment, that is the issue.

• Like 1

Loitering is only illegal in Houston for prostitution. Panhandling is protected free speech. As long as they're not bugging people on patios they are allowed to do it.

I assume it's also illegal to loiter at a convenience store, since they are required to have a "No Loitering" sign up.

Such as..?

Not sure what a PHP is specifically, but here's a list of a few dozen places that people can start looking for help.

http://www.shelterlistings.org/city/houston-tx.html

At some point in dealing with severe cases, people have to be physically restrained, forced to take medication, and/or isolated from the substances they abuse to live peacefully among other people.  We can always be more accommodating with more funding, but where do you draw the line?  No easy answers.

• 2 weeks later...

A php is a partial healthcare program that people with mental illness go to during the day time. This is for patients that do not have a immediate danger to society but need help on a daily basis. The phps have to have licensed therapists and psycratist that have goals and plan of actions for each patient.

A person who typically recieves disability usually lives in a personal care home or group home. In these facilities the php sends a van each day to pick up the qualified patients to bring them to the facility. This eliminates the need for transportation to be provided as medicare does not provide payment for transportation. Also the house manager or whoever ensures that each patient is recieves their medicines and all food is supplied as well. If something happens with the patient that is urgent they notify the php.

I work with numerous phps and am a partner in a clinic that does "home visits" to these facilitys so I'm well aware of what the process is. There is help out there for people who really need it. The issue is that after paying a potion of your disability to the group home you do not have enough money to buy alcohol and drugs so some street people would rather not go to these places.

Watching and participating in this forum over the course of a couple years, it's funny because the same people seem to have the same points in many different forums.

I want to see a 4 Team Cage Match.

TEAM 1 - The Homeless Homies - led by Drifter McNally caked in sewer residue the smell is their biggest weapon. They rounded up a fierce crew of transients and ask for change and harrass people around the ring.

TEAM 2 - Ric Campo and his development team. They have joined forces with the folks that are behind the Houston Center that can't seem to get going. They are the underdog in this fight.

TEAM 3 - The HAIF Ground floor retail champions. They want and need GFR in every building in Houston and won't stop until it's done. They are a passionate group.

TEAM 4 - The homeless haters, they are scared for their lives anytime someone talks to them or asks them for money.

• Like 4

Watching and participating in this forum over the course of a couple years, it's funny because the same people seem to have the same points in many different forums.

TEAM 1 - The Homeless Homies - led by Drifter McNally caked in sewer residue the smell is their biggest weapon. They rounded up a fierce crew of transients and ask for change and harrass people around the ring.

TEAM 2 - Ric Campo and his development team. They have joined forces with the folks that are behind the Houston Center that can't seem to get going. They are the underdog in this fight.

TEAM 3 - The HAIF Ground floor retail champions. They want and need GFR in every building in Houston and won't stop until it's done. They are a passionate group.

TEAM 4 - The homeless haters, they are scared for their lives anytime someone talks to them or asks them for money.

Team 5: Tge ones who get to sit back with some popcorn and watch the fight. Who's the real winner here?

• Like 3

TEAM 5 - bigfootsocks

TEAM 6 - The gift mongers - the one's that cannot wait to come in and add the all important / obligatory Like-button-small-2.png to our posting heroes... because well... this is what we do......

• Like 1

As a business owner here on Main Street... I think the #1 priority of getting folks downtown is finding a solution to the homeless folks wandering around...   The other day while having a nice dinner at Moonshiners one of these guys just walks right in and drinks from a patrons soda and walks right back out.  My customers are also being ridiculed by these guys and have been approached by some prostitutes.....   This is a daily scene on Main Street: 

IMG_8833-e1448910716666.jpg

• Like 2

Living downtown for seven years, I've never been approached by a prostitute. 95% of the panhandler paranoia is overblown. The other 5% can be handled by enforcing existing laws.

Well I'm on Main Street and I've personally witnessed a prostitute approach a young man...As for the panhandlers - It's pretty bad, well at least on this part of DT it is... 

This is what I mean by overblown... people getting paranoid about someone asking for money. Simply tell them no and keep walking, the vast majority leave it at that. The 5% is the type of thing you're referring to, like stealing sodas and harassing people on patios. There's laws against that, and the police enforce when they can.

Asking for money is one thing yes... But taking leaks in public, prostitutes and forgot to mention one dude pulled a box opener on one of my employees at a rail stop here a few months ago is another..  It's also common to see some of these guys taking showers down at the Prarie/Preston street side fountains.... If people are overblowing it they may have a valid concern from what we've experienced here on Main.

Again, we are talking about completely different things. Public urination is a crime that can be enforced on, panhandling is free speech that cannot. You can't just go down and clear out all the panhandlers. People can only be enforced on when they're actually breaking laws.

• Like 1

As a business owner here on Main Street... I think the #1 priority of getting folks downtown is finding a solution to the homeless folks wandering around...   The other day while having a nice dinner at Moonshiners one of these guys just walks right in and drinks from a patrons soda and walks right back out.  My customers are also being ridiculed by these guys and have been approached by some prostitutes.....   This is a daily scene on Main Street: 

IMG_8833-e1448910716666.jpg

Hmm. I have been approached by prosti's in Montrose, a pimp in Hermann Park, and another pimp at a Chevron on the east side of town (practically Channelview), but never Downtown. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough?

All jokes aside, I agree with you that harassment while trying to enjoy food/drink on a patio is really annoying. Usually the restaurant/bar/hotel staff just tell them to move along. I don't mind them asking if I'm walking on the street but it's just rude to interrupt a conversation.