Improvements On Main Street

Moore713

Why is it advantageous to preserve motorist traffic on Main Street? What purpose does it serve? There are no garage entrances on Main Street. There is precious little street parking available. All of the properties are accessible from other streets. Driving on Main is a futile experience because of the aforementioned reasons.

Preserving traffic flow can help keep a street "alive".  I have a hard time seeing the argument for making Main a pedestrian strip.  Mainly during the 1970s dozens of streets were converted to pedestrian shopping streets, and in almost every case the concept failed miserably as the streets became dead zones.  Many were eventually converted back to allow vehicle traffic.  Do we not learn from experience?  The likelihood of the concept really succeeding in downtown Houston is especially low, as there is already a large existing pedestrian infrastructure in the tunnel system.  A good part of Main Street is fronted by office buildings and parking garages, hardly conducive to pedestrian street traffic.  Is there any big advantage in having pedestrianized streets without a lot of street-level retail?

• Like 1

Preserving traffic flow can help keep a street "alive".  I have a hard time seeing the argument for making Main a pedestrian strip.  Mainly during the 1970s dozens of streets were converted to pedestrian shopping streets, and in almost every case the concept failed miserably as the streets became dead zones. 

How many of those were already lousy pointless streets to drive on?

The bulk of them were I think the traditional main shopping streets of the respective cities.  Pedestrianization was seen as a remedy to fight the urban blight that was prevalent then and to draw in additional shoppers.  The idea was suggested for Houston early on.  One proposal was to make most of Main Street an enclosed mall.  

Even if as currently configured Main is a pointless street to drive on, does that mean total pedestrianization is really a better outcome?  Are there steps that could be taken to make Main less pointless to drive?  Getting rid of Main Street "square" to allow through traffic would be a step in the right direction imo.

I continue to use Main fairly regularly to get up to the Northside/Heights when I don't want to fool with the freeways.  It could be made even more functional by removing what Dallasites call City T***ies and allowing two lanes of traffic each way - as occurs in the Med Center without a whole bunch of verklemptitude, and as looks to be the coming thing on the green/purple lines on Capitol and Rusk.

• Like 1

i realize Houston probably doesnt have the tourist traffic of a city like St Augustine (well we do, its just much more spread out across the metro whereas St Aug is pretty confined), but considering almost all of their downtown streets have no vehicle access, the area does surprisingly well with maintaining pedestrian activity. they have a tram that goes around the popular destinations around the outside of the district where a few attractions like the fort are, and a few large parking lots, and there are 1 or 2 wider streets that cut through East/West, and the tram will come down one of those through the district to pick up, drop people off in the old downtown. the whole area seems to be quite successful at attracting a large pedestrian population.

i think we have enough garages lining Main to provide ample parking for visitors to park so they can walk around the pedestrian mall area, and we have the equivalent of St Augs tram (GreenLink, and the Houston City Tours bus.. all they have to do is add a stop somewhere in the pedestrian mall at Main using one of the east-west cut through streets) but we also have something St Augustine doesnt have.. light rail bringing train loads of people right through the heart of that pedestrian district.

St._Augustine_Town_Plan_Historic_Distric

c-documents-and-settings.jpg

77078015.JtOs7u05.jpg

Also, do they allow open containers in downtown/on Main Street? i would guess probably not but they should reconsider that (at least for just the pedestrian mall portion) if they are going to close off more of Main for a pedestrian destination.

Edited by cloud713

^^ I can't imagine any of those were originally vehicular access as they're ridiculously narrow. It looks like a tourist trap-type mall, in fact, what with those goofy facades and all (and it probably is)

One proposal was to make most of Main Street an enclosed mall.

They actually kind of did that with a small town in Ohio. The result was that the buildings retained private ownership, so the city had to maintain and operate the mall commons without collecting any revenue. They ended up bulldozing it around two decades later and rebuilt the streets as they were before the mall was added.

^^ I can't imagine any of those were originally vehicular access as they're ridiculously narrow. It looks like a tourist trap-type mall, in fact, what with those goofy facades and all (and it probably is)

no they werent originally vehicular access as they didnt have cars back in the 1500s..  you do realize St Augustine is the oldest city in the country and that many of those "goofy facade" buildings are in fact original buildings hundreds of years old?

good call on Lincoln Rd in Miami, Urban. if it werent for the cluster it would cause on traffic, id say i could see a Lincoln Rd type center between Highland Village and the Galleria on Westheimer, with all the developments going up in between. but i think they could work something similar around Main in downtown with a slight shift in the area included in the downtown retail incentives program.

no they werent originally vehicular access as they didnt have cars back in the 1500s..  you do realize St Augustine is the oldest city in the country and that many of those "goofy facade" buildings are in fact original buildings hundreds of years old?

The city is a popular travel destination for its Spanish colonial-era buildings as well as elite 19th-century architecture. The city's historic center is anchored by St. George Street, which is lined with historic houses from various periods. Most of these houses are reconstructions of buildings that had been burned or demolished over the years, though a few of them are original.

To be fair, St. Augustine is the only city of its kind like that. Perhaps I am jaded by many other cities and towns with similar developments (but entirely fake). The reputation of Florida having these types of tourists attractions (mostly due to Disney World) wrongfully gave the reputation that it too was fake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Not really a Palm tree fan. Just don't really see the connection with palms and Houston. Now Oaks and Magnolias those are Houston. Overall I like the improvements they are very subtle, but even small improvements can make a world of difference.

• Like 1

Not really a Palm tree fan. Just don't really see the connection with palms and Houston. Now Oaks and Magnolias those are Houston. Overall I like the improvements they are very subtle, but even small improvements can make a world of difference.

yes, but these are serious bird crap catchers.  not to mention birds nest hoarders... no one wants this downtown houston.  on with the gorgeous uplit palms!

• Like 1

yes, but these are serious bird crap catchers.  not to mention birds nest hoarders... no one wants this downtown houston.  on with the gorgeous uplit palms!

I'm sorry monarch, but this has to be the lamest excuse to not put a kind of tree in a location....because BIRDS. That's like saying don't put grass on the ground because a dog will take a crap on it or something fabric wise because a cat will scratch it, or put a bench on the street because, lord forbid, someone will sleep on it.

I personally think palm trees are kinda useless. They don't provide much shade. and they don't provide a good way to break up a streetscape in terms of the interplay between buildings, the sidewalks, views from further away, and the street itself. The only palms I think are relevant to Houston, and streetscapes in general, are ones that are used for ground cover. Not to mention when you think of Houston...you don't think of Palm trees. Leave that to Miami or a city right on the coast.

• Like 1

don't be sorry my pal luminare.. for i love to debate.  however, i get your point.  but please let us not forget that houston is currently the most diverse city upon this great nation.  therefore, diversification arrives in all forms / aspects including our trees.  oaks / magnolias, as simply beautiful upon certain majestic areas around town.  god only knows just how many times i have walked under one of them and had to haul a_ _ in order to get away from fleeting bird stuff.  trust me, for when it comes to these particular trees... sh_ _ happens.

however, not only do i live downtown houston, but as many HAIFER's are now aware... i frequently travel and work abroad as well.  therefore, i have been truly blessed to come across trees basically all over the world.  palm trees, are just legitimate everywhere. these particular trees tend to lend a strong bit of exoticism as per any cityscape vs landscape environment.  just look at how completely beautiful los angeles is upon some areas.  look at how gorgeous highland village is in houston down westheimer.  i have had out of town guest that have been in absolute awe at how simply beautiful that particular area is... and especially at night when all of the uplit palms or lit up on display.

trust me my pal, should we add these uplit palms upon certain locales downtown houston... they will be an instant hit.  i cannot wait to see the end result!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

I have to a hard time believing very many people think Highland Village is particularly beautiful, though the palms are definitely its saving grace.

I would think that the most beautiful streets in Houston are those around Rice, North and South Blvd, etc. 

Obviously trees of that size are impossible on Main Street downtown, but something that at least casts some shade would be better than a palm tree.

Even downtown, which has built-in shade from tall, zero lot line buildings, can use every bit of shade it can get in the summer.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...