Holiday Inn Express/Staybridge Suites Hotel At 1319 Texas Ave.

downtownian

So according to the article, the block was purchased by Joni Anderson-Ballis, who is doing a ground lease to American Liberty Hospitality. Curiously enough, Joni Anderson-Ballis is also the owner of the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites land. So she must have some arrangement with ALH.

That name Anderson... I wonder if she is an heiress of Monroe Dunaway Anderson.

• Like 1

No she is married to John Ballis who spent time in prison for savings and loan kickbacks..

Someone posted the story on here somewhere. It's a very thorough history of Ballis, who is good friends

with Akeem Olajuwon, I'm sorry to say.

Isn't this the group that built the embassy suites in Discovery Green also?

• Like 2

No she is married to John Ballis who spent time in prison for savings and loan kickbacks..

Someone posted the story on here somewhere. It's a very thorough history of Ballis, who is good friends

with Akeem Olajuwon, I'm sorry to say.

Isn't this the group that built the embassy suites in Discovery Green also?

Ok but the article said that he manages her money. So she seems to come from wealth, which made me think Anderson family.

Yes, they built that too but she doesn't seem to own the land there unless it's under an entity name.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

The Astros could be ground leasing the land from the Ballises to build this. They probably need to make serious moves to preserve parking near the stadium, but there are so many more appropriate sites further north. It would benefit the Astros to have a grand streetscape approaching Minute Maid; why shit in your own pool? I always thought Texas Avenue was kind of a "signature street," or at least was evolving into one, but I guess such a thing is impossible without zoning.

• Like 1