It appears to me that Parcels E and E were both cleared at the same time.  However, the excavation for the Skyhouse seems to be occurring just in E, which already has chain-link fencing around it.  So, I found the coincident demolition a bit puzzling.  Not sure what is planned for "D".  

Aside from the projects attributed earlier to Pelican (C: mid-rise apts. and F: "town homes") and the office building (Parcel "B"), I have also heard whispers about a hotel.  That would leave Parcels A, D, or G for that, assuming the current rumors are true.  

The other mystery regards the parcel (not colored in the pic above) on which Sullivans, Le Peep, and the convenience store reside.  I think that some earlier renderings (pre-recession) of ROD included them.

Edited by ArchFan

It appears to me that Parcels E and E were both cleared at the same time.  However, the excavation for the Skyhouse seems to be occurring just in E, which already has chain-link fencing around it.  So, I found the coincident demolition a bit puzzling.  Not sure what is planned for "D".  

You are correct. Parcel E and E were in fact cleared at the same time.  :lol:

All kidding aside, you actually are right. Both D and E are cleared so that's what was throwing me off.

• Like 1

Just as an aside, no matter what's it's called, Transco or Williams, no matter what angle from which it's photographed, that is one sexy tower. Houston's trophy tower on so many levels!

'

Absolutely! Which prompts me to say, with all the projects in Houston both awesome and lame in mind, "Wasn't I lucky to be born in my favorite city!" :P

You are correct. Parcel E and E were in fact cleared at the same time.  :lol:

All kidding aside, you actually are right. Both D and E are cleared so that's what was throwing me off.

The new "parcels" do not correspond to the old apartment buildings, except for parcel "C" being the same as building "E". Skyhouse is being built on land where two buildings once stood, so they both had to come down.

any idea what/who the two red under contract plots along San Felipe are for (Parcels A and D)? hopefully (i would imagine) they will be highrises. probably one a hotel, like that W that was rendered (though im sure it wont be the same rendering/may not even be a W), and another office tower. im hoping they wont be more mid-rises or townhouses, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the other way around. The stores go where the people are; "retail follows rooftops". People choose home location for many reasons, top of list are proximity to jobs, affordability and schools. Availability of retail does come into play, but is not a driving factor.

All the sprawl that I see on the fringes of Houston and San Antonio includes more shopping options than the inner 25 sq miles of either city. There isn't the critical mass dynamic that the residential initiative is trying to create. You see it it all the time; even a modest store can barely survive downtown yet a super walmart will pop up near a brand new platted subdivision.

I stand by point. These amenities are easy to go up in these areas and people want amenities.

Its silly to leave the core and travel out to avail yourself of amenities.

As for the person who asked if anyone would live above a store, I definitely would. I like the convenience of being driven but hate driving myself, so to me living over stores would probably be higher on my list than having a personal chauffeur.

Anyway, its not like core is inundated with these mega stores. There are zero superwalmarts in the loop (there are about three regular ones). Travelling between The loop and spring however there are 8 superwalmarts and a handful of smaller ones in a five mile radius of 45.

Strip malls on the other hand we could cut down

Edited by HoustonIsHome

Oh sweet now I can look every 16 minutes to watch their progress!

Oh nice they're digging a hole!

Ok still digging that hole

Yep, hole is being dug.

This is so exciting I love watching the fast paced nature of construction!

This is an excellent point.  If everybody could please stop posting photos of construction updates we'll be good to go here.  

• Like 3

This is an excellent point.  If everybody could please stop posting photos of construction updates we'll be good to go here.  

Completely disagree. All those who are posting photo updates, continue to do so. The webcam's vantage point is impressive but the reflection of the camera itself plus the terrible quality doesn't do this project any justice.