holy crap, i love when projects randomly break ground without prior notice... and this will be the tallest SkyHouse yet huh? unfortunately its getting the airplane hangar treatment, but so be it. and im REALLY happy about the placement of this.. i didnt expect/think there would be enough room to put the tower and the garage side by side east/west.. i thought it would have to go north/south, with the garage taking up some of the prime frontage through the middle of the development, along Westcreek Lane. fortunately the garage is on the eastern half of the block, between the tower and the Target parking lot..

i wonder how the retail will be laid out for this one. it looks like it may wrap all the way around the front and sides of this one (definitely the whole front and right side), whereas the one downtown is only on the left side and front left, and left side of the garage. id imagine this one wont have any retail in the garage due to its placement, and instead the base of the tower will be lined with retail. unless the road along the bottom is more than just an entrance to the garage, then maybe the south side of the garage will have retail as well? idk..

skyhouse-river-oaks*304xx412-618-15-0.jp

is the bottom right Bettis St? with the white building in the same corner being R.O.D.? or is that just a driveway for the garage and the white buildings on both sides are just place fillers? i didnt think the tower would be wide enough to take up half the property between Bettis and San Felipe.

Edited by cloud713

westcreek-apts-address-map.jpg

The only empty buildings are B and D. I assume this project will be built within the confines of those two buildings only. F building still separates this new project from ROD.

They also really haven't "broken ground" but they are continuing the fixture removal that began last week (appliances, window blinds, etc)

• Like 1

westcreek-apts-address-map.jpg

The only empty buildings are B and D. I assume this project will be built within the confines of those two buildings only. F building still separates this new project from ROD.

They also really haven't "broken ground" but they are continuing the fixture removal that began last week (appliances, window blinds, etc)

ah, so SkyHouse will only be on the Building D portion, and the "road" is a driveway to the garage of SkyHouse and possibly whatever ends up on Building Fs plot.

Mike, the apartments are still there? i havent driven by the site but i figured they had been knocked down already.. so they are prepping the apartments for demo then?

Yeah, the old buildings are still standing, including the car ports, etc, and they have electricity still. Starting last week there has been a small crew working to remove the appliances and other fixtures. It looks like they have all of the appliances downstairs now and under the car ports. Another guy in a pickup truck comes every so often to take away some of the appliances. Like I said it's a small crew, maybe half a dozen guys for both buildings. Demolition is still some time away.

and this will be the tallest SkyHouse yet huh?

I doubt it. I think Skyhouse Buckhead is supposed to be 26 floors.

The article says this is the 10th Skyhouse, but shouldn't it be 11th?

Midtown Skyhouse Atlanta

Skyhouse South (Atl)

Skyhouse Buckhead

Houston Downtown

Tampa

Orlando

Raleigh

Charlotte

Austin

Dallas

And now River Oaks would be 11

Edited by HoustonIsHome

I don't think this building will be as tall as 5 Post Oak Park (Amegy), but it will be a nice addition.  In the rendering posted above by cloud713, I recognize that building as being the one included at the upper right.  Which raises the question, if Novare bought both Bldgs. B and D, and the rendering shows the building at the D location, what are the plans for the B location?  It is depicted as if it were a field of green grass.

Also, IIRC, this development is separated from the ROD by Bldg. F, which (I think) hasn't been sold yet.  MikeR can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other building I've heard of having been sold is E, which is across the street on the west side.

I doubt it. I think Skyhouse Buckhead is supposed to be 26 floors.

The article says this is the 10th Skyhouse, but shouldn't it be 11th?

Midtown Skyhouse Atlanta

Skyhouse South (Atl)

Skyhouse Buckhead

Houston Downtown

Tampa

Orlando

Raleigh

Charlotte

Austin

Dallas

And now River Oaks would be 11

ohh your right. that green one in Buckhead will be 26 stories.

the fact Atlanta has 3 and the market in Houston is doing so well makes me wonder if Houston might ever get a third SkyHouse.. i was just thinking the angled roofline of the green version could match the Memorial City skyline. 

I don't think this building will be as tall as 5 Post Oak Park (Amegy), but it will be a nice addition.  In the rendering posted above by cloud713, I recognize that building as being the one included at the upper right.  Which raises the question, if Novare bought both Bldgs. B and D, and the rendering shows the building at the D location, what are the plans for the B location?  It is depicted as if it were a field of green grass.

Also, IIRC, this development is separated from the ROD by Bldg. F, which (I think) hasn't been sold yet.  MikeR can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other building I've heard of having been sold is E, which is across the street on the west side.

Did Novare buy both buildings? and if so, what other projects are in their portfolio? maybe they could develop an office tower for the complex.. or a lower end hotel that wouldnt compete with a potential W?

And did they seriously sell plot E but not F? that makes absolutely no sense.. building F would be completely isolated from the rest of the complex.

Now we know that "Highland Terrace" is really Pelican Builders Inc. and they intend to demolish the building.

It really is unusual, at least to me, how they will go to expense to maintain the illusion of normalcy at a property which was doomed months ago. Just last week they were setting up a new model apartment in this building, rental furniture was delivered and staged in a 1st floor unit.

Isn't re-using the same plan how they save on development costs?

I think he meant same floor plan, different color glass.

My opinion on skyhouse is positive.

The building is simple but in an attractive way.

They don't BS on getting the building started and work at record pace.

To answer Cloud713, I do think the market will hold up long enough to allow skyhouse to build a third tower.

The Houston housing market is hotter than ATLs right now and it is less Saturated with these type of units.

The big question is where. Skyhouse built in southern dowtown to capture the Downtown/midtown vibe. They are building in Afton Oaks to capture the River Oaks/Uptown crowd. So will the uptown area get a second Skyhouse or would tge Downtown area get another skyhouse?

My money is on close to downtown. Skyhouse seem to buck convention and be ahead of the crowd.

The 3rd Skyhouse would probably go in the Museum District/Montrose area.

I think he meant same floor plan, different color glass.

My opinion on skyhouse is positive.

The building is simple but in an attractive way.

They don't BS on getting the building started and work at record pace.

To answer Cloud713, I do think the market will hold up long enough to allow skyhouse to build a third tower.

The Houston housing market is hotter than ATLs right now and it is less Saturated with these type of units.

The big question is where. Skyhouse built in southern dowtown to capture the Downtown/midtown vibe. They are building in Afton Oaks to capture the River Oaks/Uptown crowd. So will the uptown area get a second Skyhouse or would tge Downtown area get another skyhouse?

My money is on close to downtown. Skyhouse seem to buck convention and be ahead of the crowd.

The 3rd Skyhouse would probably go in the Museum District/Montrose area.

yeah he just meant green glass like the Dallas SkyHouse is getting, or the new design in Atlanta, but the same floorplan. 

i like the SkyHouses too and hope we eventually get that third design.

i agree about the market, thats why i mentioned a third SkyHouse. i get that ATL is Novares hometown, but the market in Houston is insane, and people keep moving here faster than developers can build houses..

i originally said Memorial City because the angled roof line of the new/third design would go well with that skyline. the green glass might even contrast well with the blue glass thats on some of the MC highrises. with that said, when i first saw that the third design was green i immediately started thinking of locations around a park. i could definitely see it going somewhere on the edge of Hermann Park. the museum district/montrose area is probably a safe bet though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B and D are now gone. For some reason, the old leasing office building hasn't been touched at all. They didn't abate the asbestos either.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but it looks like the only reason why F building was evicted is because they did not retain enough land adjacent to the building to permit the use of the covered parking in the rear. Otherwise, the entire building is still owned by Cypress.

• 3 weeks later...

do you remember which plot/area of the site? is it right next to Target, but set back from San Felipe, leaving room for another highrise? i would assume its the new SkyHouse. isnt that the only one thats been announced which has cleared off land to work on? seems like there are/were still apartments on the other plots that were announced.

Then it would appear to be Parcel D. This is Skyhouse?

Edit: You know what, this is difficult to tell. It looks like it is just next to Skyhouse maybe. So townhouses? It's so difficult to tell because there is almost no barrier between properties.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Then it would appear to be Parcel D. This is Skyhouse?

Edit: You know what, this is difficult to tell. It looks like it is just next to Skyhouse maybe. So townhouses? It's so difficult to tell because there is almost no barrier between properties.

It's SkyHouse then. Parcel D was still for sale (though possibly closing) last I heard. SkyHouse is the plot between D and the townhouses, and they wouldn't be doing this for townhouses. Gotta be SkyHouse.