SkyHouse River Oaks: New Multifamily On Westcreek

Isn't re-using the same plan how they save on development costs?

I think he meant same floor plan, different color glass.

My opinion on skyhouse is positive.

The building is simple but in an attractive way.

They don't BS on getting the building started and work at record pace.

To answer Cloud713, I do think the market will hold up long enough to allow skyhouse to build a third tower.

The Houston housing market is hotter than ATLs right now and it is less Saturated with these type of units.

The big question is where. Skyhouse built in southern dowtown to capture the Downtown/midtown vibe. They are building in Afton Oaks to capture the River Oaks/Uptown crowd. So will the uptown area get a second Skyhouse or would tge Downtown area get another skyhouse?

My money is on close to downtown. Skyhouse seem to buck convention and be ahead of the crowd.

The 3rd Skyhouse would probably go in the Museum District/Montrose area.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The views:            

been stalking folks instagrams https://www.instagram.com/maxmiller_htx/        

IMG_1754 by Not.Larry Dierker, on Flickr

Posted Images

I think he meant same floor plan, different color glass.

My opinion on skyhouse is positive.

The building is simple but in an attractive way.

They don't BS on getting the building started and work at record pace.

To answer Cloud713, I do think the market will hold up long enough to allow skyhouse to build a third tower.

The Houston housing market is hotter than ATLs right now and it is less Saturated with these type of units.

The big question is where. Skyhouse built in southern dowtown to capture the Downtown/midtown vibe. They are building in Afton Oaks to capture the River Oaks/Uptown crowd. So will the uptown area get a second Skyhouse or would tge Downtown area get another skyhouse?

My money is on close to downtown. Skyhouse seem to buck convention and be ahead of the crowd.

The 3rd Skyhouse would probably go in the Museum District/Montrose area.

yeah he just meant green glass like the Dallas SkyHouse is getting, or the new design in Atlanta, but the same floorplan. 

i like the SkyHouses too and hope we eventually get that third design.

i agree about the market, thats why i mentioned a third SkyHouse. i get that ATL is Novares hometown, but the market in Houston is insane, and people keep moving here faster than developers can build houses..

i originally said Memorial City because the angled roof line of the new/third design would go well with that skyline. the green glass might even contrast well with the blue glass thats on some of the MC highrises. with that said, when i first saw that the third design was green i immediately started thinking of locations around a park. i could definitely see it going somewhere on the edge of Hermann Park. the museum district/montrose area is probably a safe bet though.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B and D are now gone. For some reason, the old leasing office building hasn't been touched at all. They didn't abate the asbestos either.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but it looks like the only reason why F building was evicted is because they did not retain enough land adjacent to the building to permit the use of the covered parking in the rear. Otherwise, the entire building is still owned by Cypress.

• 3 weeks later...

do you remember which plot/area of the site? is it right next to Target, but set back from San Felipe, leaving room for another highrise? i would assume its the new SkyHouse. isnt that the only one thats been announced which has cleared off land to work on? seems like there are/were still apartments on the other plots that were announced.

Then it would appear to be Parcel D. This is Skyhouse?

Edit: You know what, this is difficult to tell. It looks like it is just next to Skyhouse maybe. So townhouses? It's so difficult to tell because there is almost no barrier between properties.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Then it would appear to be Parcel D. This is Skyhouse?

Edit: You know what, this is difficult to tell. It looks like it is just next to Skyhouse maybe. So townhouses? It's so difficult to tell because there is almost no barrier between properties.

It's SkyHouse then. Parcel D was still for sale (though possibly closing) last I heard. SkyHouse is the plot between D and the townhouses, and they wouldn't be doing this for townhouses. Gotta be SkyHouse.

It appears to me that Parcels E and E were both cleared at the same time.  However, the excavation for the Skyhouse seems to be occurring just in E, which already has chain-link fencing around it.  So, I found the coincident demolition a bit puzzling.  Not sure what is planned for "D".  

Aside from the projects attributed earlier to Pelican (C: mid-rise apts. and F: "town homes") and the office building (Parcel "B"), I have also heard whispers about a hotel.  That would leave Parcels A, D, or G for that, assuming the current rumors are true.  

The other mystery regards the parcel (not colored in the pic above) on which Sullivans, Le Peep, and the convenience store reside.  I think that some earlier renderings (pre-recession) of ROD included them.

Edited by ArchFan

It appears to me that Parcels E and E were both cleared at the same time.  However, the excavation for the Skyhouse seems to be occurring just in E, which already has chain-link fencing around it.  So, I found the coincident demolition a bit puzzling.  Not sure what is planned for "D".  

You are correct. Parcel E and E were in fact cleared at the same time.  :lol:

All kidding aside, you actually are right. Both D and E are cleared so that's what was throwing me off.

• Like 1

Just as an aside, no matter what's it's called, Transco or Williams, no matter what angle from which it's photographed, that is one sexy tower. Houston's trophy tower on so many levels!

'

Absolutely! Which prompts me to say, with all the projects in Houston both awesome and lame in mind, "Wasn't I lucky to be born in my favorite city!" :P

You are correct. Parcel E and E were in fact cleared at the same time.  :lol:

All kidding aside, you actually are right. Both D and E are cleared so that's what was throwing me off.

The new "parcels" do not correspond to the old apartment buildings, except for parcel "C" being the same as building "E". Skyhouse is being built on land where two buildings once stood, so they both had to come down.

any idea what/who the two red under contract plots along San Felipe are for (Parcels A and D)? hopefully (i would imagine) they will be highrises. probably one a hotel, like that W that was rendered (though im sure it wont be the same rendering/may not even be a W), and another office tower. im hoping they wont be more mid-rises or townhouses, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

You would think all the Targets, Randall's, and Krogers in the inner city would have apartments above them. It's such a waste of air space!

There are vacant block in Midtown, Downtown, the Museum District, Montrose etc.

Airspace isn't really an issue yet.

There are vacant block in Midtown, Downtown, the Museum District, Montrose etc.

Airspace isn't really an issue yet.

Exactly. If we were more concerned about the empty lots and left the lots with amenities already on them alone, the city would be a much better looking place.

Knock out the targets and the Lowes and they just move further west and north. And guess who moves with them? THE PEOPLE. Leaving you precious land available for towers but no life.

Yes those parking lots take up a lot of space, but so do empty lots, which we have in abundance

Swtsig - I am not saying you or I would live there, but who knows? Look at the Heights Target. Those apts are slammed against its parking lot and the freeway, yet they seemed to be occupied. My real point was really it is a waste of space to have all the "roof" space on such extremely valuable land. Look at that DC Walmart with apts above. It makes sense to me, even though I can't imagine the teasing one would be subjected to for living there.

The land at San Felipe and Bancroft/Mid Lane is too valuable now for a one story box store. To me, Mid Lane is already unrecongizable from just 10 years ago.

Knock out the targets and the Lowes and they just move further west and north. And guess who moves with them? THE PEOPLE. Leaving you precious land available for towers but no life.

It's the other way around. The stores go where the people are; "retail follows rooftops". People choose home location for many reasons, top of list are proximity to jobs, affordability and schools. Availability of retail does come into play, but is not a driving factor.

It's the other way around. The stores go where the people are; "retail follows rooftops". People choose home location for many reasons, top of list are proximity to jobs, affordability and schools. Availability of retail does come into play, but is not a driving factor.

All the sprawl that I see on the fringes of Houston and San Antonio includes more shopping options than the inner 25 sq miles of either city. There isn't the critical mass dynamic that the residential initiative is trying to create. You see it it all the time; even a modest store can barely survive downtown yet a super walmart will pop up near a brand new platted subdivision.

I stand by point. These amenities are easy to go up in these areas and people want amenities.

Its silly to leave the core and travel out to avail yourself of amenities.

As for the person who asked if anyone would live above a store, I definitely would. I like the convenience of being driven but hate driving myself, so to me living over stores would probably be higher on my list than having a personal chauffeur.

Anyway, its not like core is inundated with these mega stores. There are zero superwalmarts in the loop (there are about three regular ones). Travelling between The loop and spring however there are 8 superwalmarts and a handful of smaller ones in a five mile radius of 45.

Strip malls on the other hand we could cut down

Edited by HoustonIsHome

huge difference between a speciality grocer and a giant retail store or supermarket. nothing says "home" like loading docks full of 18-wheelers delivering produce, consumer goods, etc. 24-7, nevermind the throngs of shoppers during business hours. of course it might work in other cities, cities with density levels where something like that may be warranted, but remove yourself from the personal aspect of convenience and think about the logisitics of living above a target.

with all the other choices in the immediate vicinity i'm hard pressed to imagine any of you would ultimately decide to live above a target when you can just as easily live right down the street.

the line between "specialty grocer" and "giant supermarket" is actually pretty blurry. There's a huge difference between a regular-size Target and a SuperTarget, and even someplace like Whole Foods has stores that vary widely in size.

As for Phoenicia, it is in fact a full service grocery store, albeit a small one.

I don't think anyone was saying that they'd want to love above *any* supermarket no matter what; people were just saying they were generally open to the idea. 

As for me personally? I would not want to live above a Super Wal-Mart, but I would happily live above a Phoenicia, a Whole Foods, an HEB, a Kroger, a Trader Joe's, a Spec's or, yes, a Target.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1

Oh sweet now I can look every 16 minutes to watch their progress!

Oh nice they're digging a hole!

Ok still digging that hole

Yep, hole is being dug.

This is so exciting I love watching the fast paced nature of construction!

This is an excellent point.  If everybody could please stop posting photos of construction updates we'll be good to go here.  

• Like 2

This is an excellent point.  If everybody could please stop posting photos of construction updates we'll be good to go here.  

Completely disagree. All those who are posting photo updates, continue to do so. The webcam's vantage point is impressive but the reflection of the camera itself plus the terrible quality doesn't do this project any justice.

• Highrise Tower changed the title to SkyHouse River Oaks: New Multifamily On Westcreek