The Menil Collection At 1533 Sul Ross St.

"This will be a very important year," Menil Collection director Josef Helfenstein said. "Some big projects we've been working on for a long time now will begin to unfold. There will be visible progress on the cafe and parking lot."

First up are changes designed to make the quiet museum complex a little bit less of a hidden gem.

Things are moving forward with Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates' "greening up" of the grounds to create a new gateway to the Menil campus from its Alabama Street parking lot. Visitors also will encounter a new cafe designed by Stern and Bucek Architects that will be owned and operated by Greg Martin, formerly of Taco Milagro and Cafe Express.

The museum held a naming contest for the new cafe this fall. About 400 entries were submitted, and the winner will be announced Jan. 8th

More long-term, Helfenstein and the Menil's board hope to release plans for the new Menil Drawing Institute later in the year. They hired a director for the institute, the Italian Allegra Pesenti, in September. Designed by Johnston Marklee, the building will be the first freestanding facility in the U.S. devoted to the study and exhibition of modern and contemporary drawings.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Local-Art-scene-builds-on-creativity-5096673.php?cmpid=btfpm#/1

Edited by Urbannizer

• 1 month later...

On a related subject. They were going to remodel the house across the street from the Menil to create the space for the new cafe,'

but apparently they felt the building would not meet code so they tore the house completely down and are going to start from scratch. I heard that it would be rebuilt as a bungalow like it was before, but with the new plans included.

• Like 1

I have reserved my judgement...  I like it.  Simple.  Elegant interior spaces, and the exterior spaces are minimalist interpretations of the neighborhood (you can visualize the silhouettes of the neighboring bungalows in some of the architectural elements.  If this thing turns out similar to the quality of the Asia House then we've certainly got a nice, new little architectural work.

Add to this the other new building that was announced recently and the Menil campus is quickly turning into its own neighorhood.  It is its own neighborhood.  Good for them.

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

On a related subject. They were going to remodel the house across the street from the Menil to create the space for the new cafe,'

but apparently they felt the building would not meet code so they tore the house completely down and are going to start from scratch. I heard that it would be rebuilt as a bungalow like it was before, but with the new plans included.

Interesting.. I too thought they were going to reuse the bungalow.. I wouldn't mind if they designed it similar to the drawing institute or the Piano building, but I agree they will probably replace it with a bungalow type building..

1024x1024.jpg

I think this area would be amazing to see during a really nice hard Houston thunder storm. Not only would you smell the wonderful smell of rain and the sound of thunder, but to see the rain running down the roof into this square area and basically making a continuous curtain of dripping rain would be nice to just stand back and observe the beauty that is the nourishment of nature as an art form. 

Just seems like an event that touches so many senses

• Like 2

Yes, to the above post. I can almost experience it. But, not to sound too backwater, is it just me or does this seem a bit pricey ($40 mil) for a 30k sf structure which won't go over 16 ft in height? (btw, kudos, though, for respecting the surrounding environment). I like the design. Seems very Frank Lloyd Wright-ish. Just, hmmm, 40 mil? I need some convincing it's worth that much. What am I missing?

Yes, to the above post. I can almost experience it. But, not to sound too backwater, is it just me or does this seem a bit pricey ($40 mil) for a 30k sf structure which won't go over 16 ft in height? (btw, kudos, though, for respecting the surrounding environment). I like the design. Seems very Frank Lloyd Wright-ish. Just, hmmm, 40 mil? I need some convincing it's worth that much. What am I missing?

You're missing the artwork inside the building - that's what makes the cost of the structure worth it. Like all the previous buildings in the campus, this is supposed to have a special filtering of natural light

For a look at what an awesome roof can do, go to the Cy Twombly Gallery (also on the Menil campus) on a sunny day. The roof is built to diffuse the light and provide a soft glow to the room using natural sunlight. It's really cool.

Notice that I said to go and see the roof, not the art. Not a Cy Twombly fan at all!

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 3

For a look at what an awesome roof can do, go to the Cy Twombly Gallery (also on the Menil campus) on a sunny day. The roof is built to diffuse the light and provide a soft glow to the room using natural sunlight. It's really cool.

Notice that I said to go and see the roof, not the art. Not a Cy Twombly fan at all!

LOL  Ditto.   LOVE the Cy Twombly gallery building.  The light in there is amazing.

The Asia Society building was about 50 million for their structure. i believe its close to 40,000 sq ft though.

http://asiasociety.org/texas/about-building

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You're missing the artwork inside the building - that's what makes the cost of the structure worth it. Like all the previous buildings in the campus, this is supposed to have a special filtering of natural light

Fifty Shades of Grey.

• Like 1

I hate that they have painted all the homes grey... I could see them saying "wouldn't it be cool if..." but in reality - it has taken a TON of character away from that area. I don't like it at all. bring back some diversity.

That may or may not be a shared opinion.

^^ Disagree. "Menil Gray" is a key component of the neighborhood's character, but I guess it can be polarizing - you either like it or you don't. 

The last time we repainted our house, we considered using that shade of gray. We ultimately opted for a different color scheme, but we got as far as having a friend who lived right around the corner from the Menil ask them for the specific paint code, which they were happy to provide. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the drawing institute renderings! Its a perfect balance of modern and contemporary. It understands the site that it is in and like Renzio Piano before creates a structure which fits into the context of the neighborhood. This has always been a splendid area of town. Nice and tucked away, but would like a some sort of promenade that reachs from the Menil to Richmond. The current walk is very nice and secluded, but I really think the whole area would benefit from some additional exposure.

• 1 month later...