The Menil Collection At 1533 Sul Ross St.

This is the plan the Menil has accepted and will implement--how soon will be see changes begin? The Menil chose not to purchase the HEB property?

I did intend to write fiesta as this was mentioned during the introduction of the master plan and I thought the Menil might have considered obtaining it but then rejected that idea-- I suppose I misunderstood.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

For those of you who have access to Town & Country magazine, there's an interesting article about the two new books that were recently published about Dominique de Menil.

They paint a picture of a woman who is singlehandedly responsible for bringing serious art to Houston.

"I would never have started collecting so much art if I had not moved to Houston," Dominique is quoted as saying in Art and Activism: Projects of John and Dominique de Menil (edited by Josef Helfenstein and Laureen Schipsi; Menil Collection/Yale; $65). "Houston was a provincial, dormant place, much like Strasbourg, Basel, Alsace. There were no galleries to speak of, no dealers worth the name, and the museums! That is why I developed the physical need to acquire."

De Menil was from Paris, and got her money from the family business. A little company you might have heard of called Schlumberger.

They strongly supported the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and founded the art-history department at the local University of St. Thomas and an arts-and-media center at Rice University. Eventually, their discriminating acquisitions of modern and tribal art led them to start the Menil Collection.

A little company you might have heard of called Schlumberger.

And don't ever make the mistake of calling it "Schlum-Burger" in the presence of an employee. It's Schlum-ber-JZEAA!

in addition to the remarkable art she collected, and her generosity in sharing it with the public, the sensitivity she showed in creating an urban environment which preserved and respected the neighborhood in which she built her museum is a wonderful legacy.

Edited by dbigtex56

• 8 months later...

Cy Twombly, the namesake of a major gallery at the Menil, died today at the age of 83. He was known for his large-scale abstract paintings, his giant scribbles, and his site-specific ceiling painting at the Louvre. Major collections of his work also exist at the MoMA in New York and a museum in Munich.

Twombly was considered a friend of the Menil Collection. I suppose, by extension, that makes him a friend of Houston.

Article on CultureMap: http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/07-05-11-beloved-scribble-based-menil-collection-artist-cy-twombly-dies/

Menil site for Twombly Gallery: http://www.menil.org/collection/CyTwomblyInDepth.php

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I didn't see this posted anywhere else.

Will house the collection of modern and contemporary drawings. Should be finished in about 3-5 years and be about 18,000 square feet.

Another addition to museums/galleries definately most welcome.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-07-12-15-56-menil-announces-architecture-firm-set-to-lead-the-design-of-the-museums-innovative-new-drawing-institute/

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/06/menil-selects-los-angeles-firm.html

• 2 weeks later...

I immediatley apologize, but I cannot figure the links out on my phone...

So on Fox 26 this morning, they ran a story about a man who spray painted on the Picasso painting ”the lady in the red armchair”. Someone captured the art crime on their video phone and posted it to youtube.com, which police now wonder if they were apart of the tagging as well.

The tagger spray painted (in red), ”conquiste” with the image of a bull. I wonder what message he could be trying to send, if any? I'm glad it wasn't just the word ”goat goat goat” which have been tagged EVERYWHERE in this city.

i think you missed the point. the poster of the video is probably under investigation because he may have some connection to the crime, posting the video boasting. no one said the video taper was guilty.

I didn't hint that the person who filmed was guilty. Don't know where you got that from.

http://www.chron.com...sso-3642941.php

KPRC (Channel 2) interviewed a man who said he captured the vandalism on his phone camera. The witness told Channel 2 the man identified himself as an up-and-coming Mexican-American artist looking to honor Picasso's work.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/06/alleged_street_artist_who_defa.php

Edited by infinite_jim

The person who recorded it is a friend of Uriel's. His name is Joshua Gonzales Salinas, per Facebook. He was promoting his art show this past weekend. Seems to me that he was playing lookout for Uriel, and recording the video for Uriel to take the "glory" later.

The person who recorded it is a friend of Uriel's. His name is Joshua Gonzales Salinas, per Facebook. He was promoting his art show this past weekend. Seems to me that he was playing lookout for Uriel, and recording the video for Uriel to take the "glory" later.

Then, he is just as guilty. I hope he get the same punishment.

Also, he filmed the video in "portrait mode", -_- which, in itself, should be a crime with equal punishment. <_<

Is it a crime to merely videotape another person committing a criminal act? Should it be a crime to allow a crime to occur when you have a reasonable ability to stop the crime?

It is a crime to aid another in the commission of the crime. Similar to the getaway driver, or the lookout, if this turd video'd the ghetto slug (No, Uriel, you useless POS, I will not describe you as an "artist") for the purpose of helping the ghetto slug publicize his crime, then he could be charged as a party to the criminal mischief.

I would imagine that the Menil staff are livid, and that HPD is working this diligently. A nice show trial with a publicized prison sentence may help get the word out to these slugs that there is a limit to our tolerance for their sheet. Defacing Picasso's would be an example of that limit.

• Like 3

I think that he was playing lookout to - veiwing the video that's been played on the news, it seems that if he was an innocent bystander, he wouldnt have had his phone/camera out like that (I have been told many times to put up my phone while in the Menil) and go up immediately to the painting, zoom in on the spray paint and then move over to desecription plate to show which painting it was. Also saying that you spoke to the guy but not holding him until authorities (cops/museum) could come is rather strange.

I'm not sure what the method is, but the art hospital it went to in Germany said they got all the spray off. The Menil said the painting had ”to rest”, before it's back on display.

The Menil did the restoration in their own conservation lab. In Houston, Texas. The painting did NOT go to Germany.

"Most of the damage, virtually all has been taken care of,” he said. “But you have to wait and see.”

Edited by Houston19514