The Menil Collection At 1533 Sul Ross St.

The bungalows that are immediately adjacent to the museum building should not be demolished, as they play a primary role in the scalar relationship between the building and its original neighborhood context, which is central to the architectural experience.

In fact, some of the surrounding bungalows originally sat on the museum building site. Renzo Piano and Dominique deMenil chose to have these houses moved (not demolished), in order to fill in vacant lots in the blocks around the museum site.

:rolleyes: What vacant lots? The blocks around the current museum site were....bungalows! Yes, bungalows in every direction from the current Menil Collection site, as well as bungalows on the current Menil Collection site.

Yes, some of the adjacent bungalows are already gone (ie where the Cy Twombly Gallery is located).

You've already said things that I know are false, so I'm going to need citations on future claims. There were bungalows on the Cy Twombly site definitely as late as 1981 (the same year Piano was hired, and a decade after Rothko Chapel had already replaced existing bungalows), and Dominique de Menil was buying up land in these blocks in the 1980s. If the bungalows left at some point after 1981 and before the main Menil Collection opened in 1987, it was by her hand.

Cite some sources that back up what you say, because the historic aerials are not telling the same tale.

Edited by kylejack

I very much suspect your zeal is misplaced, kylejack.

Piano is not on the project for two reasons. First, this is a campus plan. Chipperfield, AFAIR - thinking I read that any of the previous finalists could be hired to work on the actual gallery expansions - will not be designing blobs of physical structure but of rationale. Second, Piano already has a reputation about the Menil. He's lately been hired to expand Fort Worth's Kimbell, and since Kahn is worshiped, being judged to have done a Kimbell expansion artfully would offer him a bigger chance to move on up in the architectural pantheon of how timeless you are. I guess he will be spreading himself thick on that commission.

Edited by strickn

:rolleyes: What vacant lots? The blocks around the current museum site were....bungalows! Yes, bungalows in every direction from the current Menil Collection site, as well as bungalows on the current Menil Collection site.

You've already said things that I know are false, so I'm going to need citations on future claims. There were bungalows on the Cy Twombly site definitely as late as 1981 (the same year Piano was hired, and a decade after Rothko Chapel had already replaced existing bungalows), and Dominique de Menil was buying up land in these blocks in the 1980s. If the bungalows left at some point after 1981 and before the main Menil Collection opened in 1987, it was by her hand.

Cite some sources that back up what you say, because the historic aerials are not telling the same tale.

The house-moving story was part of Renzo Piano's lecture at the 20th anniversary of the Menil on April 21, 2007. If what he said was false, I apologize for repeating it and trying to present it as fact.

• Like 1

Contrast, yes, but whether it's really of interest is troublesome since it's not even subtly different than what Legorreta might have proposed for anywhere. This design's strongest color is the red flag that it basically passes on specific interaction with the surroundings. Ricardo drew a blank this time.

Thanks for the relevant link.

• 2 weeks later...
What about the previous bungalows that were plowed under to create the current Menil? I don't see why plowing some to the South would make things all that much worse. There's still plenty of neighborhood to go around.
The bungalows that are immediately adjacent to the museum building should not be demolished, as they play a primary role in the scalar relationship between the building and its original neighborhood context, which is central to the architectural experience.

In fact, some of the surrounding bungalows originally sat on the museum building site. Renzo Piano and Dominique deMenil chose to have these houses moved (not demolished), in order to fill in vacant lots in the blocks around the museum site. This move ensured that everything in the vicinity was relatively the same scale, and helped the new museum building fit into the surrounding area.

Yes, some of the adjacent bungalows are already gone (ie where the Cy Twombly Gallery is located). However, Piano was careful to design this building to be the same scale as the museum building and the remaining adjacent bungalows. Hopefully the new architect will keep this concept in mind when the new buildings are designed.

Much of the museum building site was occupied by a moderate sized apartment complex which faced on Mandell. It was demolished (if I recall correctly) circa 1983-84.

Much of the museum building site was occupied by a moderate sized apartment complex which faced on Mandell. It was demolished (if I recall correctly) circa 1983-84.

Less than 30% of the current main museum building. The rest was bungalows. Cy Twombly site was all bungalows as well.

• 3 months later...

The journal Cite recently had an article on the Menil expansion: link. It indicates that the Menil had been reviewing potential campus masterplans, not only from David Chipperfield, but also from Madrid firms Herreros Arquitectos and Mansilla / Tunon, and the Boston firm Office d'A. They, apparently, would be in the running for design of the new buildings, once the Menil reaches that stage.

I've found some basic renderings of some of the other firms' masterplan proposals:

- Mansilla and Tunon

- Herreros Arquitectos

Nothing yet from d'A.

The journal Cite recently had an article on the Menil expansion: link. It indicates that the Menil had been reviewing potential campus masterplans, not only from David Chipperfield, but also from Madrid firms Herreros Arquitectos and Mansilla / Tunon, and the Boston firm Office d'A. They, apparently, would be in the running for design of the new buildings, once the Menil reaches that stage.

I've found some basic renderings of some of the other firms' masterplan proposals:

- Mansilla and Tunon

- Herreros Arquitectos

Nothing yet from d'A.

What's up with all those mid-rises from Herreros?

I want to ask why the Menil is expanding that they would need all that room, but I guess I'll go do some reading to find out myself...

(I do know they have lots of stuff in storage, but that much?)

What's up with all those mid-rises from Herreros?

I want to ask why the Menil is expanding that they would need all that room, but I guess I'll go do some reading to find out myself...

(I do know they have lots of stuff in storage, but that much?)

Towers of Traffic dude. Towers of Traffic.

Those are all residential buildings. The cool thing is that one of the drawings shades all the properties that the Menil apparently owns around there. I had no idea their holdings were that vast. It's a good thing. And if the Menil wants to build towers of traffic I'm cool with it.

Interestingly both drawings show large residential components. If they doze Richmont Square, it makes sense to replace it with some income producing properties and be able to design and build those properties as part of a larger vision for the area. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

I can't find a copy online, however my Univ. St. Thomas alumni wife received in the mail yesterday a flyer detailing the UST 2010 and 2020 vision plan.

It included, I believe, 3-4 blocks worth of new buildings in the area including a nursing school and additional dorm.

As the other dominant property owner in that area, the master planned growth in that super block could be quite something in the next decade.

Edited by Highway6

A university (not this one) uncle of mine said that the Southern way to do things is smaller and more personal than Northern institutions are comfortable with. Compare the Menil, Phillips, Witte and Kimbell to, say, the Frick, Morgan, Albright-Knox and the Stewart Gardner fossil (just because by law nothing can be moved around doesn't make it less impersonal). The Menil is even a nice landlord.

But these designs' refinement is too hamfisted. The designers think the point is to be modern and sedate. But neither of their buildings have any human tactile qualities, even the 'green' mesh grid. The culture is wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3526654054_4ef43ae985.jpg
Menil 1, originally uploaded by Highway6.
Highway6 takes the latest trend in photography (HDR) and applies it to the oldest method in photography (black and white). The result really brings out light and shadow that couldn't be seen before. Very Guy Noir!

Highway6 posted this picture in the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr.
You can add you photos to the group.  Just click here:  HAIF Houston Photo Pool on Flickr .

3526654054_4ef43ae985.jpg
Menil 1, originally uploaded by Highway6.
Highway6 takes the latest trend in photography (HDR) and applies it to the oldest method in photography (black and white). The result really brings out light and shadow that couldn't be seen before. Very Guy Noir!

Highway6 posted this picture in the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr.
You can add you photos to the group.  Just click here:  HAIF Houston Photo Pool on Flickr .

• 3 months later...

The car park along Alabama would be strengthened with the new bookshop, cafe, and auditorium nearby. The key change would be to connect West Main across the site [to Yupon] through the area occupied by the northern end of Richmont Square. The complete street grid would surround a new green space that would also be made possible by the clearing of the north side of the apartments. It would connect, slightly off axis, with the current Menil park between the main building and the Rothko. The Drawing Institute and Study Center and Single Artist Studios would be sited around the new green space. And along Richmond itself, the plan calls for dense residential and commercial development.

Director Josef Helfenstein told listeners that Chipperfield’s plan has already been approved by the Menil board.

Swamplot

• 4 weeks later...

Neartown also heard about the Master Plan (done by David Chipperfield of London-- I think) at the Menil--highlights of future plans

-- will build an auditorium, another single artist gallery-- upgrade current green space

--committed to open and green spaces-- the Richmont apts are owned by Menil and generate income-- plans would demolish that and put in new large green space surrounded

by income producing property with height limit of 3 stories-- apparently lots of property was bought in that area with that in mind-- no high rises-- the dark gray places (Richmont apt-- Old Telephone building in white) in picture are owned by Menil--gray with white dot owned by Rothko-

--old telephone building at Mandel and Richmond will be torn down and a new storage building will replace (maybe converting existing bungalow)

--some of the streets will be put back in to improve traffic flow

--all bungalows are to be preserved if possible

--current parking on Alabama will stay

Edited by trymahjong

Menil is one of the few neighborhoods I've actually been to in Montrose, but according to Google Maps, there's no streets that are currently closed and will be reopened per the plan.

The OP says streets will be put back in, not reopened. Richmont Square apartments are getting torn down. Which means Colquitt, W Main, and Mulberry can be pushed through that area.

The OP says streets will be put back in, not reopened. Richmont Square apartments are getting torn down. Which means Colquitt, W Main, and Mulberry can be pushed through that area.

Yep, the big block on the bottom right of the map in the photo on the first post is Richmont Square.

I can't say I'll miss Richmont. They don't allow dogs which puts them in my doghouse.

Neartown also heard about the Master Plan (done by David Chipperfield of London-- I think) at the Menil--highlights of future plans

-- will build an auditorium, another single artist gallery-- upgrade current green space

--committed to open and green spaces-- the Richmont apts are owned by Menil and generate income-- plans would demolish that and put in new large green space surrounded

by income producing property with height limit of 3 stories-- apparently lots of property was bought in that area with that in mind-- no high rises-- the dark gray places (Richmont apt-- Old Telephone building in white) in picture are owned by Menil--gray with white dot owned by Rothko-

--old telephone building at Mandel and Richmond will be torn down and a new storage building will replace (maybe converting existing bungalow)

--some of the streets will be put back in to improve traffic flow

--all bungalows are to be preserved if possible

--current parking on Alabama will stay

This is the plan the Menil has accepted and will implement--how soon will be see changes begin? The Menil chose not to purchase the HEB property?