The Menil Collection At 1533 Sul Ross St.

There goes the neighborhood. <_<:wacko:

It takes a lot of apartments to make up for 21,000 being absorbed in a year.

I hope some of them are still affordable. A lot of UST students and recent grads live at Richmont Square.

If all the new apartments are luxury-priced, UST will need to build additional on-campus housing.

• 1 month later...

Bistro Menil to open on October 1st. I walked over and went in Bistro Menil at lunch today and spoke with Greg Martin

the chef Proprietor of the Bistro and he said the restaurant was shooting for the 1st of October. The place looks very nice and they are now working on the bookstore. The parking lot is open again. They're still doing some work on it but it's open. Once the plantings take and put on a years growth its going to look really nice.

I should note that the map posted by Urbannizer does not explicitly mention "high-rise." It simply indicates "Confidential MF Development." Hines might well be designing a multifamily complex on the Menil site that would be more akin to the height of 2111 Westheimer. Such a complex would be higher density than what is there now but would not necessarily go into highrise territory.

I should note that the map posted by Urbannizer does not explicitly mention "high-rise." It simply indicates "Confidential MF Development." Hines might well be designing a multifamily complex on the Menil site that would be more akin to the height of 2111 Westheimer. Such a complex would be higher density than what is there now but would not necessarily go into highrise territory.

Good point.. I guess it was just assumed due to the title of the thread..

• 4 weeks later...

I just spoke with someone who is working on the demo of the back section of the Richmont that backs up to Our house.

He said they are doing Asbestos removal and have some crews who have contracted to take out some of the materials for 

reuse, working now. He said they should start the actual demo in about 4 weeks. He said that phase shouldn't take long and then they would do the site work in preparation for the construction. He wouldn't give me any dates on that phase, and I don't know if he 

knows that they will actually start on construction once the old units are torn down.He's just working on the demo project.

The good news is that we are getting a little closer. Its strange not seeing any lights on in the apartments anymore, and quiet.

That will quickly change with demo!

• Like 1

They are now only taking 6 month leases on the front 2 sections of Richmont Apartments so they are going to move fast on this phase after they break ground on the Drawing Center in January. Staff overseeing construction of Drawing Center coming in January so it is going up very soon. Looks like June they might be kicking everyone out to tear down the next section or both. One of the last inexpensive apartment complexes in this part of Montrose will bite the dust. 

It will be interesting watching the Drawing Center go up from my backyard. Got to watch the Enron Stadium/Minute Maid go up across the street from my old loft.

Kind if exciting to get to watch these things happen so close. By the way I have a set of plans for Enron Stadium. They are cumbersome and I really don't know what to do with them.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

I was at Richmont Square today amongst several other apartments, looking for a new place now that the last Westcreek building is being demolished next year.

The price is certainly right - $1095 for a 1064 sq ft. 2 bed/2 bath. Had no idea about the ownership until I got home today and started Googling stuff.

I noticed the two buildings (and the office/clubhouse) in the back were fenced off. Asbestos abatement is going on in the old apartments and the former leasing office is now a field office for the asbestos contractor. I tried to sneak back to the shady pool area just to take a peek but some dude stopped me.

If I knew for a fact that I could get at least 2 years out of Richmont then I might move there. My first apartment ripped me off on the security deposit but it's been nice at both of the Westcreek units not having to worry about that after I move out. Not that I am leaving them in terrible condition but it seems like they always try to do anything to abscond with your deposit.

I reported last week that they are only giving six month leases and plan to tear the middle and front down fairly soon.

The back section is coming down in December with the crew coming in to start drawing center in January.

I reported last week that they are only giving six month leases and plan to tear the middle and front down fairly soon.

The back section is coming down in December with the crew coming in to start drawing center in January.

I am looking to move into the Richmont Square. The north block is slated for demolition first. The lady in the leasing office indicated it "should be a couple years" before the south block of apartments is demolished, although that is subject to change fairly quickly.

The back section is coming down in December with the crew coming in to start drawing center in January.I reported last week that they are only giving six month leases and plan to tear the middle and front down fairly soon.

Conflicting stories

I only know what I was told by someone who has worked for the Menil                  

properties forever. This person doesn't lease apartments in the Richmont but is over them. I was told they are only offering six month leases and 

as long as I've been dealing with this person which is over ten years the info  has always been pretty accurate.

She said they would demo the back section as soon as the abatement and contractors finish 

taking hardware out. That goes along with what the supervisor for the demo told me. They will be leveling the back section in December.

She also said that the architects working on the Drawing Center would be coming here in January to start the project.

Thats when she told me about the six month leases and the demo of the other sections. I think the Menil will need to act on this sale of land fairly quickly so

they can recoup some of the revenue they will be losing with the loss of the apartments. I've attended all of the master plan meetings and they are planning several residential components in various parts of the campus. I'm not going to bet the family farm on it but I believe what I have heard.

• Like 6

I didn't see that post until later.

Also, when I was there, I didn't ask the Richmont office staff specifically if they were offering a 12 month lease or not.

If they really are only offering 6 month leases though, I would like to give them some credit, for at least trying to only offer leases that they may actually be able to fulfill on their end.

It pisses me off a lot more when landlords willingly sign 12 month leases for apartments knowing full well that a sale and demolition is imminent (some of my former neighbors at 2021 Westcreek got this type of shitty deal). Might be legal but it's still a raw deal.

At least when I moved to the other side of the street they dropped the crap and I got a pretty good run, 15 months of month to month leases at long term rates.

Richmont Square was pretty much my Hail Mary pass at staying in the loop, so it looks like i'll be heading out west, beltway bound.

You should at least double check. With the way things are in the oil patch right now you can never know what might be going 

on over there. I'm just excited to see the back section of apartments come down and the drawing center get started.

I'll be able to get some good shots from my backyard. They're taking down the carports along my back fence now. Its kind of strange to have this large empty space with no lights behind us where so many used to live.