Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

If you're talking about riders from the Smithlands station to the TMC, that's exactly my point. They ride for a station or two and get off. It's a park and ride. There are park and riders and homeless people on the light rail. Of course there are exceptions but that's the bulk. If they could they would park in their respective hospital but they can't so they park in the surface lot across from smithlands and ride for a station or two.

I almost feel like ridership numbers for our light rail should eliminate the numbers from the smithlands station. That station must inflate numbers by the thousands. The only reason they ride is because parking is limited in the TMC and their companies subsidize the parking and Qcards.

That's not a total knock on our light rail. It is popular as a park and ride for upper middle class riders from the med center. Which is to say people like their cars but hate expensive parking. A HSR station in the NW mall parking lot makes a lot of sense from a business perspective.

I guess we should eliminate 100% of park and ride numbers also then. By the way all the park and ride combined ridership is less than the original red line. What a success.

Well there are multiple stations on the line. The homeless love the red line between Preston station and Wheeler station. TMC commuters like it between Smithlands and Herman hospital (I forgot the station name).

My girlfriend is a doctor at Methodist. She lives at IMT apartments across from Reliant Park station. She routinely takes the rail from her apt to Dryden. Some of her colleagues who live in the burbs park at smithlands and ride Dryden. I live in Downtown, my girldfriend would never ride the rail all the way into downtown. She would rather drive. Too many homeless people for too much time. It's one thing for a station or two it's another for 40 minutes.

I ride the rail almost everyday. I also ride the bus almost everyday. I live in downtown. If others don't want to take me seriously that doesn't bother me much, but I'm not going to ignore my observations either.

I honestly am not bothered by the homeless. They aren't bothering anyone. Homeless are people too. I'm sorry they aren't working in the TMC or live in Downtown. Here you reveal the main reason why no one is taking your comments seriously and that's because you not only sound like an elitist, but you are an elitist and it shows in your comments. Sure I come off as a "know it all" That's the casualty of being a generalist and wanting to know everything, and sometimes when I'm passionate about a topic I rub elbows with people who aren't similar to me. While I a few pages ago said that I disagreed with MaxConcrete at least he has conviction and is passionate about what he is talking about. You on the other hand are simply not that and that statement proves it.

I honestly am not bothered by the homeless. They aren't bothering anyone. Homeless are people too. I'm sorry they aren't working in the TMC or live in Downtown. Here you reveal the main reason why no one is taking your comments seriously and that's because you not only sound like an elitist, but you are an elitist and it shows in your comments. Sure I come off as a "know it all" That's the casualty of being a generalist and wanting to know everything, and sometimes when I'm passionate about a topic I rub elbows with people who aren't similar to me. While I a few pages ago said that I disagreed with MaxConcrete at least he has conviction and is passionate about what he is talking about. You on the other hand are simply not that and that statement proves it.

An elitist that rides the bus and train? LOL Do you even know what the word means?

I'm not anti-homeless. If I was I wouldn't live in downtown. I get bummed everyday. If it bothered me I would move. What part of town do you live in?

Are you really surprised that well off people generally do not want to ride our light rail for more than a few stations if at all? Seriously? are you really surprised?

I get that yall want trains because trains are cool and other cool cities have them. I get that you want Houston to be elite like those other cities "world class" even.

But I instead care about people and want a system that moves the most amount of people, safely, cleanly, and efficiently. Buses are the best option for a city like Houston.

I get angry watching an almost empty green line train that cost millions while I see people wait in the heat or rain waiting on the #50 bus. It's the elite who don't actually use public transportation who live out in the burbs that try to divert precious public dollars onto trains when the people that rely on buses are getting less and less reliable bus service. It's not right. It's not fair. Come live in the city and see what I'm talking about.

Edited by 102IAHexpress

I also find it amazing that people seem to think that HSR will just have one single pricing. Trains work on the same principle in regards to pricing just like airplanes. You have your First Class and then Business Class and Economy. What a novel concept! Stratified pricing!

I was thinking about the stratified pricing thing some. Trains don't just have multiple different classes (first class, business, coach, box cars tied on to the back with rope) they also can be express or non-express.

I could see TCR maybe putting few more stations in along the way, but only run a few trains that stop at them. The stations would only need to be two platforms on either side with a passing track in the middle. And then you could have a train that's competitive with flying, but costs $75-$150 and you can have a cheaper train that stops a lot but still is faster than driving for $30 or so.

And that would shut up some of the TCR critics - they'd see a tangible benefit as opposed to intangibles like increased property tax revenue

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 1

An elitist that rides the bus and train? LOL Do you even know what the word means?

I'm not anti-homeless. If I was I wouldn't live in downtown. I get bummed everyday. If it bothered me I would move. What part of town do you live in?

Are you really surprised that well off people generally do not want to ride our light rail for more than a few stations if at all? Seriously? are you really surprised?

I get that yall want trains because trains are cool and other cool cities have them. I get that you want Houston to be elite like those other cities "world class" even.

But I instead care about people and want a system that moves the most amount of people, safely, cleanly, and efficiently. Buses are the best option for a city like Houston.

I get angry watching an almost empty green line train that cost millions while I see people wait in the heat or rain waiting on the #50 bus. It's the elite who don't actually use public transportation who live out in the burbs that try to divert precious public dollars onto trains when the people that rely on buses are getting less and less reliable bus service. It's not right. It's not fair. Come live in the city and see what I'm talking about.

Have you taken the bus since the new system was rolled out? It's all about frequency which matters most to bus riders. Ask someone who has ridden a bus and a rail and see what percentage say they prefer riding a bus? It's a necessity but the more rail the better.

I get angry watching an almost empty green line train that cost millions while I see people wait in the heat or rain waiting on the #50 bus. It's the elite who don't actually use public transportation who live out in the burbs that try to divert precious public dollars onto trains when the people that rely on buses are getting less and less reliable bus service. It's not right. It's not fair. Come live in the city and see what I'm talking about.

Houston has plenty of buses. Frequent access to ridership has just increased by leaps and bounds. If there's anything Metro can't be criticized for at this time, it's ignoring the nuts-and-bolts in favor of glamour projects.

• Like 1

Have you taken the bus since the new system was rolled out? It's all about frequency which matters most to bus riders. Ask someone who has ridden a bus and a rail and see what percentage say they prefer riding a bus? It's a necessity but the more rail the better.

I agree about the frequency. 

But what's interesting is there was a unique opportunity to observe which mode people prefer train or bus. For a short period of a few months the 50 bus temporarily ran down Texas ave. Up until the new bus rollout I could exit the back of JP Morgan Chase and ride it to Annunciation Catholic Church in front of minute maid. Sometimes it wasn't there when I was exiting so I would just walk to church. What's interesting is the number of people who waited for that bus even though they could have taken the new green/purple line out to the east side. they were preferring to wait for the bus versus riding the new rail.

People like rail over buses. There have been many studies conducted. There is indeed a general bias. So meet the people half-way. Make the buses more like trains so they can't tell the difference.

http://www.wsj.com/news/interactive/BUSES0927

Completely agree. Its why BRT has been successful where its been implemented. Even investing in dedicated bus lanes that are clearly marked like bike lanes also helps a great deal.

I agree about the frequency.

But what's interesting is there was a unique opportunity to observe which mode people prefer train or bus. For a short period of a few months the 50 bus temporarily ran down Texas ave. Up until the new bus rollout I could exit the back of JP Morgan Chase and ride it to Annunciation Catholic Church in front of minute maid. Sometimes it wasn't there when I was exiting so I would just walk to church. What's interesting is the number of people who waited for that bus even though they could have taken the new green/purple line out to the east side. they were preferring to wait for the bus versus riding the new rail.

A lot of people didn't even know the new rail lines were open.

People like rail over buses. There have been many studies conducted. There is indeed a general bias. So meet the people half-way. Make the buses more like trains so they can't tell the difference.

http://www.wsj.com/news/interactive/BUSES0927

I agree with that to a certain extent. But I would conclude that not everyone has that general bias but instead only people who don't ride much of either will probably prefer a picture of a train versus a picture of a bus, which is what a lot of those studies are based on. Also the preference/bias depends on location. Perhaps the bus has a shameful stigma in Los Angeles but in Europe there's no shame at all.

I would conclude that people who actually have used both would not have the same negative reaction towards the bus. I think people will ultimately favor transit that is speedy, comfortable and reliable regardless of mode.

I don't know how to post hyperlinks on here but there's a article from the Atlantic City Lab on The Myth That Everyone Naturally Prefers Trains to Buses.

Regardless I am in favor of BRT. BRT is what Houston needs.

Completely agree. Its why BRT has been successful where its been implemented. Even investing in dedicated bus lanes that are clearly marked like bike lanes also helps a great deal.

BRT is good until the demand is too much. I took it in Leon Mexico, Bogota Colombia, Quito Ecuador, Mexico City and Istanbul. In every case the buses were packed despite 2-3 minute frequency, causing many people to not be able to get in and keep waiting. At that point heavy rail is needed. So why not just build it to begin with if you know the demand is pent up? BRT is ok for a speculative route but that's about it.

Edited by Slick Vik

Some new info on the HSR would be great.

And yes, i will admit that I have a strong dislike for buses. Not that i don't see the utility of them, I just didn't get super excited about the "reimagined" routes because to me, and probably me only, it seems like Metro is patting themselves on the back and the satisfaction with their new plan will inhibit planning future rail projects.

Just my two cents, not trying to spur an argument over buses, haha.

It's a remarkable change. I'm shocked Houston had the foresight to do this honestly

On the bus v train debate, my experience is that buses cater to those that do not have a car and need them for mobility. Trains cater to those who prefer the consistency and ease of use. Yes I'm generalizing and yes there are exceptions.

As a business traveler, colleagues and I take rail when it's available, but not buses. Even in a city like Chicago, it's train and walk or if the walk is too far/too cold we hail a cab.

I'd be quite happy to see light rail down the washington corridor. And I'm the same person who has no desire to see the HSR go down that same corridor.

Or those that don't want to pay for parking.

Perhaps true for cities with a heavy rail option. Houston has no heavy rail, so I'm not sure that argument furthers our discussion. In Houston our light rail caters mostly to homeless people and people who park their car near a station and ride for a station or two to their final destination. In Houston commuter busses are very popular. The park and ride system works well. Perhaps that's what the HSR station in Houston will be like?

And It's ASLO my experience that business travelers prefer taxi's and Uber, which is to say they prefer cars once they get off the train or plane.

What does aslo mean?

Which is perfect for Houston. Houston is dynamic and always changing. Routes need to be dynamic as well. Unless we enact zoning and start doing some major city central planning, BRT is the best compromise.

A lack of zoning actually helps heavy rail - the line is fixed, but the use of the surrounding property is not. That will lead to more development more quickly that takes advantage of the heavy rail line.

• Like 1

Which is perfect for Houston. Houston is dynamic and always changing. Routes need to be dynamic as well. Unless we enact zoning and start doing some major city central planning, BRT is the best compromise.

On some routes like bellaire and westheimer west to highway 6 but inner city should be rail I think.

• Like 1

That's not going to happen either, as there's no good way to get light rail out there. There aren't many streets wide enough for light rail between Downtown and Northwest Mall. So, buses it is.

What if they built a green/purple light rail extension down Memorial to N Post Oak and then up to the NW station?

Build the line into 2 existing lanes of Memorial where you can still drive on it/share the road with the trains, so you don't have to widen the road through park land and ritzy residential neighborhoods.

What if they built a green/purple light rail extension down Memorial to N Post Oak and then up to the NW station?

Build the line into 2 existing lanes of Memorial where you can still drive on it/share the road with the trains, so you don't have to widen the road through park land and ritzy residential neighborhoods.

Yeah, no. Part of the reason why they're changing Allen Parkway was because Memorial Parkway essentially served the same purpose, and actually went somewhere instead of curving south to become Kirby. Plus, you'll still run into the same problems as it would conflict with Memorial and Rice Military.

Edited by IronTiger
  • Like 1

Yeah, no. Part of the reason why they're changing Allen Parkway was because Memorial Parkway essentially served the same purpose, and actually went somewhere instead of curving south to become Kirby. Plus, you'll still run into the same problems as it would conflict with Memorial and Rice Military.

Im not sure I see your issue with a Memorial line other than the "plus.." In which I would say that stretch of Memorial Drive needs to be trenched between Shepherd and Memorial Park anyways..

Though the route remains a work in progress, the company has plans for only three stations, in Houston, Dallas and Grimes County near the Bryan/College Station area.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/08/texas-bullet-train-moving-forward-despite-obstacle/

:mellow:.. :unsure:.. :(. There goes any chance of this thing not being a huge detriment to Cypress. 62 trains a day means roughly 31 from each station, and a generous schedule of how long they'd be open per day let's say is 6am-12am, so (18*60)/31 is roughly every 35 min. You're telling me that all the newer Cypress neighborhoods south of 290 will have to wait 3-5 min EVERY 30 min to cross the tracks and get to where nearly all the restaurnts and major retail centers are located? Not to mention the majority of the homes going up within a mile south of this rail corridor are all in the $350k-$2 million range; I wonder what effect these trains will have on home prices given that it will be frequent, noisy and not accessible to the residents who have to live along it. What's even worse about this part of the rail corridor is that these homes don't have location going for them like those along the Washington ave. stretch of the rail corridor to help save their values. Aside from my own bias and desires, I really think they could rake in a lot of extra cash from having 1-2 suburban stops in each city that they only service every hour or two while other express trains skip on by them. It's a real bummer that it sounds like that won't be the case.

Edited by curbur
  • Like 1

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/08/texas-bullet-train-moving-forward-despite-obstacle/

:mellow:.. :unsure:.. :(. There goes any chance of this thing not being a huge detriment to Cypress. 62 trains a day means roughly 31 from each station, and a generous schedule of how long they'd be open per day let's say is 6am-12am, so (18*60)/31 is roughly every 35 min. You're telling me that all the newer Cypress neighborhoods south of 290 will have to wait 3-5 min EVERY 30 min to cross the tracks and get to where nearly all the restaurnts and major retail centers are located? Not to mention the majority of the homes going up within a mile south of this rail corridor are all in the $350k-$2 million range; I wonder what effect these trains will have on home prices given that it will be frequent, noisy and not accessible to the residents who have to live along it. What's even worse about this part of the rail corridor is that these homes don't have location going for them like those along the Washington ave. stretch of the rail corridor to help save their values. Aside from my own bias and desires, I really think they could rake in a lot of extra cash from having 1-2 suburban stops in each city that they only service every hour or two while other express trains skip on by them. It's a real bummer that it sounds like that won't be the case.

Oh where to start, where to start?!

So, let's go by chronological order of error's; first, the quoted article is referring to the "station area's" not the exact location. The cities where the train will stop are those three listed; there could/are/is an incredibly high probability that the major cities will have more than one station, as shown in the documents and press releases given by TCR. 

Now, let's get to my favorite part; the infamous "crossing's"!!!! So, as stated here, on TCR's website, by TCR reps, and pretty much every single article about this project there ARE NO AT-GRADE CROSSING'S. There is not a single place on this entire 240-mile trip where a car will have any chance to cross these tracks. 

As for noise; well, there's already a growing highway and a recently built highway that produce noise pollution at an increasing level for cars traveling at speeds of 65-80 mph. These trains will be traveling much faster, and will not take the same amount of time to pass a certain amount of distance 'x' that cars would, allowing for a much quicker, and less noticeable amount of noise.

• Like 2

I do think the PR help of a lot of small intermediary stations might be a boon - don't change the alignment, just add a passing loop of track for a quarter mile for express trains to go around locals.  Not sure what the capital cost would be for that station, but a really simple station might just be the cost of the passing loop and some lumber.

• Like 1

These are fair points, but you know that it will affect some home buyers' opinion of the area still regardless.. I mainly just wanted a Cypress station to be honest :/. On another note, I wonder what this will do to the current roadmap plans of having Greenhouse extend to Skinner and having Mason and other Katy roads extend all the way up to 290 if this rail corridor is completed before they are.

Edited by curbur

About the type of train being used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinkansen

TCR's website which addresses all these issues which was research done by TCR, but you should be able to follow whatever footnotes to make your own conclusions:

http://www.texascentral.com/benefits/

http://www.texascentral.com/facts/

If you really want answers straight from the horses mouth than just email here:

info@texascentral.com

Best thing to do is instead of just tossing out your fears, bias, and desires before hand, do some investigation yourself. It doesn't take a lot out of your day to do some independent research if you think something will impact you. Most of your fears stem from simply not understanding the technology which is PERFECTLY OK! It behooves you to educate yourself on the topic before just tossing your concerns because you might find out that some are either unfounded or just unnecessary.

I hope that if we get another person like this in the future that doesn't know where to find info that instead of just telling them how wrong they are and instead point them in the right direction where info can be found.

I hope this helps you better inform/change you opinion.

• Like 2