Sign in to follow this  
MaxConcrete

High Speed Rail / Texas Triangle

@HoustonBoy

Are there any plans to have the site connected to rapid transit?

Part of the Metro Next plan is to have BRT go from downtown to HSR station.  This would be an extension from the Northwest Transit center.

Also, is there a benefit of having the station outside of the CBD?

Houston has large work centers outside of the CBD and population density is higher west of downtown.  Also the cost to bring it downtown would be quite prohibitive.  Northwest Mall is essentially dead so this would be a great re-purpose of land.  TCR is in high speed rail business to leverage land purchases.

More spread out growth, less centralized/intense gentrification, quicker access to different parts of the city?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Really should be not only a metrorail from downtown up Washington to this but also a metrorail to a growing downtown Heights send tweet

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Texas High-Speed Train Is ‘Shovel Ready'

The company must also finish acquiring land and financing. And there are ongoing legal battles with opponents of the train. But Aguilar remains confident.

"I still can say we're absolutely sure it's going to happen," he said.

Texas Central hopes to break ground as soon as June of next year.

• Like 3

Man I really hope they can make this happen. Not just for this one project, but as a proof of concept - to have the first true, world-class high speed train line in the country right here in Texas. 

• Like 6

Wow, very cool. Reminds me of some of the rail stations I've been at in Taipei and Berlin. Glad to see Houston is going to be the leader in the country for this type of development. 

• Like 3

I couldn't tell from the renderings where the unicorn stables are going to be located.

• Haha 1

Keeping Up the Momentum for the Texas High-Speed Train

We are excited to announce another major accomplishment. We are pleased to share that we have signed an early works agreement with Kiewit, Mass. Electric Construction to prepare for the installation of the Texas High-Speed Train. Mass. Electric, a subsidiary of Kiewit Corporation, will focus on installing the core system and critical safety elements of the train. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Still no mention of The Unicorn Stables contract?  They have no idea what they’re even doing. 

They also forgot to put the pie-in-the-sky in the renderings. duffuses...

On 11/21/2019 at 10:17 AM, Triton said:

Wow, very cool. Reminds me of some of the rail stations I've been at in Taipei and Berlin. Glad to see Houston is going to be the leader in the country for this type of development. 

Agree. Berlin in particular it reminds me of Alexanderplatz, with a dash of Hauptbahnhof, and OstKreuz.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, rechlin said:

Pre-construction contract signed with Kiewit.  Price has now jumped up to $20 billion.

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/texas-central-signs-preconstruction-contract-with-kiewit-firm-for-20b-bull/568072/

Uber is currently valued at $50 billion, so I'm sure TCR can raise $20 billion from investors wanting to turn money into more money

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Uber is currently valued at $50 billion, so I'm sure TCR can raise $20 billion from investors wanting to turn money into more money

That comparison is actually even more valid when we live in a new age of tech venture capitalism. An age of Elon Musks, etc... If people are willing to throw money away, in the billons, on websites that don't actually produce something concrete, or real estate ventures that label themselves as "techy", but are just glorified landlords, then there are definitely people out there who will put bank on something that is an actual tangible concrete and physical product.

• Like 3

Pre-Construction work has already begun! Soil Testing, along with prepping various areas for the future berms and viaducts.

TCR claims that they are ready for construction, and it seems all they are waiting for is final Federal approval. They further claim that they could start as early as June.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas-High-Speed-Train-is-Shovel-Ready-565182232.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yep. To prepare for building my new million-dollar mansion, I mowed my lawn today.

15 hours ago, gmac said:

Yep. To prepare for building my new million-dollar mansion, I mowed my lawn today.

Yeah you're probably right, I'm sure sample drilling the country side is just a scaled up version of aerating your yard. Maybe they might even put up cheap inflatable Santa's since its christmas time huh.

11 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Yeah you're probably right, I'm sure sample drilling the country side is just a scaled up version of aerating your yard. Maybe they might even put up cheap inflatable Santa's since its christmas time huh.

s-l640.jpg

• Haha 4