Urbannizer

New Park for the Southern Area of Downtown

2 hours ago, Alec said:

Bell has dedicated in-street ROW in the Interactive Bike Plan Map. It is in the "Potential Short Term Implementation Opportunities" layer. 

Edit: I buried the lede here; the relevant info is that this section is relatively high on priority list for bike infrastructure. I agree that this is a very realistic addition in the next few years.

Interesting that the one you linked has the Leeland side stretch all of the way to Louisiana. 

It's hard to tell where their priorities really lay though. Polk should be getting revised lanes this summer, but no idea about leeland east of 59. 

• Like 3

I think bike lanes across 59 on Leeland would really open up that part of east downtown - right now it just feels far away from the heart of "eado" because the train and bike lane are all north of it

Chain link has been up around the site for a week or two and now the green fence "liner" is up as well.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 10:38 AM, adr said:

Does the area really need another restaurant?  

The Downtown District should focus efforts on getting convenience stores like a 7-11 downtown . . . that is an absolutely glaring gap.  But Houston is not a convenience store city . . . we seem to be all about CVS and Walgreen's.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

The Downtown District should focus efforts on getting convenience stores like a 7-11 downtown . . . that is an absolutely glaring gap.

Something like this? 

Food.PNG

or.PNG

Edited by dbigtex56
added photo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Something like this? 

Food.PNG

or.PNG

Um . . . yeah.  Let's open another branch of that (in)famous store.

Are you saying implying this is enough?

Edited by mattyt36

On 5/10/2019 at 11:57 AM, mattyt36 said:

Are you saying implying this is enough?

Not really. I understand that convenience is the operative word in "convenience store", and that close proximity and extended hours are their selling points.
I'm not an expert by any means, but the impression I have is that the Holy Trinity (beer, cigarettes, lottery tickets) make up a substantial portion of their profits, and that the hoi polloi often indulge in these items.
These stores seem to attract a grittier crowd than the national branded stores but heck, isn't a bit of gritty to be expected in a downtown urban setting? 
Replacing them with shinier versions with stricter standards won't have much effect on the street denizens other than an increase in nicotine fits and the DTs.
But yes, I agree - it would be nice if there were more clean, well-stocked, non-scary convenience stores downtown. In the meantime, these places are better than nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Additional “convenience stores” selling beer, wine, cigs, and junk food are not needed IMO.  

Well given the prevalence of such stores in the downtown areas of major cities around the world, I’d say you’re in the minority.

• Like 1