Trebly Park At 1515 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

Is that the scientology building?

I don't know. However Google has it labeled as "First Church Christ Scientist." If that is correct, it is a different religion. Think: "Christian science Monitor" and that great building a reflecting pool in the Back Bay of Boston.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I don't know. However Google has it labeled as "First Church Christ Scientist." If that is correct, it is a different religion. Think: "Christian science Monitor" and that great building a reflecting pool in the Back Bay of Boston.

That is correct . It was a Christian Science building. They used to have Christian Science Monitor newspapers available there. They are different from the Scientologists. Different origins, beliefs, etc. 

• 1 month later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Downtown-and-west-Houston-office-markets-feel-6843946.php?t=2f50d5d270438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium#photo-9432253

A plan to acquire land on the southern end of downtown to develop public green space for the business and growing residential population. The project is budgeted at $9 million, but property has not yet been acquired.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

http://abc13.com/news/mayor-turners-budget-plan-includes-job-cuts/1292967/

"It may push some of our projects back a year or two, but it's worth it to help solve the problems," said Ryan Leach of the TIRZ. Leach says the fund contributions may delay a planned park for the southern edge of downtown, but would not affect any of the group's plans for Super Bowl.

12 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Double U I usually enjoy reading your hot takes, but this is neither hot nor taking; it's pretty spot on. This is pretty dumb. NFL moving closer to FIFA/IOC levels of extortion.

I don't think the downtown TIRZ is doing anything that has been in any way extorted or even requested by the NFL.  They are merely doing some infrastructure and other enhancing projects that will benefit the downtown community and  be done in time to put on a good face for the Super Bowl crowds (and the vaguely-proposed southern downtown park was never on a schedule to be anywhere near complete by February 2017).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

Two blocks from Root Memorial Square. Wasn’t anticpating that site but could be beneficial to residents at Block 334, Both Skyhouses, Houston House, and other places nearby. 

• Like 1

Interesting that it's three-fourths of a block. Are they building the park around the Good Year Service center or is that building a goner:ph34r:

Edit: Nevermind, I saw the image after logging into Biz Journals.

southern-downtown-park-aerial01-green*10

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 2

This is Caddy Corner to the Uhaul site.

Taking bets on how long the Book Shop will last.

But seriously the good year center has a really suburban feel to it. I would sometimes walk by this area on my lunch break so a park in this area is an awesome addition. 

Would have been awesome if they could have had the entire lot for use and built parking underneath.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

I was briefly stoked about TWO new parks in south downtown. 

Ellen,

I Was curious why the word, briefly stoked, was used. Is it because of the proximity to Root park or the scale that made you sound a little disappointed.

Or the fact that they actually considered Root park new?

Any time we can get a new park downtown is a good thing.

I think the Movers and Shakers and developers now know that the key to successfully developing new areas downtown involves a park. 

And remember there will be some kind of new greenway that will fill the old pierce elevated spaces.

Edited by bobruss

1 hour ago, HoustonIsHome said:

But seriously the good year center has a really suburban feel to it. I would sometimes walk by this area on my lunch break so a park in this area is an awesome addition. 

That Goodyear center's probably been some sort of automotive place since that block was in the suburbs. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I got my last set of tires at that Goodyear, and have had a couple of puncture repairs done under warranty since then. I like Goodyear Eagles, and it seems that Goodyear service centers are about the only places that carry them anymore locally. None of the other locations are nearly as close or convenient as this one, so I'll be sorry to see it go. 

4 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I got my last set of tires at that Goodyear, and have had a couple of puncture repairs done under warranty since then. I like Goodyear Eagles, and it seems that Goodyear service centers are about the only places that carry them anymore locally. None of the other locations are nearly as close or convenient as this one, so I'll be sorry to see it go. 

I always seem to head to NTB in midtown.  That’s said, I agree with you.  The park IS a better use for the burgeoning neighborhood.  However, I do hope that is all of the lots across Downtown fill up over the next 15 years, that we are able to keep some of the “context” of urban life in place.  That “context” includes places to repair your car, wash your car, store your processions, get a cheap hamburger or a cheap haircut, etc.  Without these, IMO, you are left with Disneyland.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

Ellen,

I Was curious why the word, briefly stoked, was used. Is it because of the proximity to Root park or the scale that made you sound a little disappointed.

Or the fact that they actually considered Root park new?

Any time we can get a new park downtown is a good thing.

I think the Movers and Shakers and developers now know that the key to successfully developing new areas downtown involves a park. 

And remember there will be some kind of new greenway that will fill the old pierce elevated spaces.

I was excited--or I don't think I ever really believed it--but I was excited because someone posted a second thread that there was going to be a new downtown park. So there were two threads and I thought, maybe there are two different new parks. But of course it was a duplicate thread.