State National Bank Building To Become Moxy Hotel By Marriott

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://h-town-visually.blogspot.com/2015/05/state-national-building-redevelopment.html        

Moxy Hotel by Marriott   https://www.virtualbx.com/feature-story/houston-historic-12-story-state-national-bldg-converting-to-moxy-hotel-by-marriott/    

Posted Images

HBJ article on permits being issued

Conversion of State National Building into Moxy by Marriott hotel moving forward - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

An effort to convert a historic downtown office building into a Moxy by Marriott Hotel is preparing to move forward, according to building permits issued this month by the city of Houston.

Houston-based LMG General Contractors received a permit from the city for a $9 million commercial alteration at 412 Main St., the former State National Building on the block of Main Street between Prairie and Preston streets.

. . . 

While most of the building’s exterior will remain, Campo’s proposed changes included removing and replacing some of the nonhistoric decorative features, including a section of wall above the main entrance, according to Campo’s 2019 application to the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission.

Other proposed changes in the application included swapping out a mezzanine window with one that resembles other surrounding windows, adding new lighting along the sidewalk, installing a “Moxy” sign composed of channel letters on an aluminum pan style background and replacing the existing canopy with an aluminum-faced composite one.

Campo’s application was approved on March 21, 2019.

Documents filed with the city appear to show that the developer behind the project is Pharr, Texas-based Oceangate Hotel and Development Co.

. . . 

While it is unclear what the timeline for the project is, the building permit seems to indicate it is moving forward.

On Campo Architect’s website, the company says that when it opens, the Moxy by Marriott hotel will feature 119 guest rooms, a main lobby and a bar.

• Like 9
  • 4 weeks later...

They have constructed a plywood enclosure around the front doors, looks like work is underway. 

Narrow bit of sidewalk right there right now, it brings you uncomfortably close to the stoned homeless man trying to wreck the stanchions between the street lane and the light rail track. Seems the dollar store crowd has moved down 3-4 blocks. 

• Like 3
On 4/20/2021 at 1:04 PM, Nate99 said:

They have constructed a plywood enclosure around the front doors, looks like work is underway. 

Narrow bit of sidewalk right there right now, it brings you uncomfortably close to the stoned homeless man trying to wreck the stanchions between the street lane and the light rail track. Seems the dollar store crowd has moved down 3-4 blocks. 

Did you see work being done? The plywood has been there since March I believe.  

57 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Actually no, and it has probably been since March since I had been down that way, so it looked new to me and I didn't click back in the thread until just now. 

False alarm, I guess. 

Access to that building is going to be really tough for workers, materials, deliveries, etc.  Can they close the sidewalk on Main?  

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I have walked by a few times and seen workers going in and out as well as heard saws and drills.  DIdn't sound like major work but something is happening for sure.

• Like 4
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to State National Bank Building To Become Moxy Hotel By Marriott