Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 days ago. I'm over it.

Afterward, I stopped at a 7eleven for a bottled water. And before you say anything let me tell you it was NOT like going to Buckingham Palace or anything.

:lol::lol::lol: Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I can respect that. Mr. X. Are you any relation to Minista, Brotha, Quanell X?

For anyone interested in forming his/her own opinion, please check out the following:

http://www.northparkcenter.com/index.html

Ooooohh! Niiice!

Hey, everyone! 2112 and I are loading up the Family Truckster for a road trip to North Side Mall this weekend. Afterwards, we're going to party at 713 to 214's Swankienda. Who's with us?

Coog, Gary, musicman? You guys in?

It'll be mythic!

And glitzy.

:D

Ooooohh! Niiice!

Hey, everyone! 2112 and I are loading up the Family Truckster for a road trip to North Side Mall this weekend. Afterwards, we're going to party at 713 to 214's Swankienda. Who's with us?

It'll be mythic!

And glitzy.

Just as long as we can stop at the flea market on Telephone Road first

Ooooohh! Niiice!

It'll be mythic!

And glitzy.

Yeah, Laura Miller and Quanell X are co-hosting the event. :D

Is Dallas' Galleria upscale like Houston's?

What Mall in Dallas compares to the Galleria?

Do they have several shopping areas that do? Like Northpark, Galleria Dallas, Highland Park Village (in Dallas).

Is Dallas' Galleria upscale like Houston's?

Do they have several shopping areas that do? Like Northpark, Galleria Dallas, Highland Park Village (in Dallas).

Yes the Galleria is upscale. I haven't been there since they just renovated it, nor have I been to Northpark since the huge addition. There are 25 or so pretty decent size malls in DFW, and about 10 that have something special although some of them might bend the rules for what you consider a mall. I'd write more but without writing 5 pages I'd leave something out.

Jason

I don't know if there is anyone else here who celebrates mediocrity the way you do, 2112!

btw: It's not a bad thing to aspire to bigger and better things. It's not a bad thing to enjoy upscale shopping. It's not a bad thing to like, and be excited about, increased upscale shopping opportunities. I can understand why a lot here would not be excited about "another mall," because I understand what comes to most Houstonians minds when they think of a mall. Sharpstown, Gulfgate, Northline, Galleria. However, one has to visit the Northpark Shopping Center before he/she passes judgment on it. The shopping cewnter provides an experience like none other in the U.S. It's like a museum that just so happen to have retail stores. The shopping center is truly more than just a mall.

It's just different priorities for different people. Walking around in some "look-at-me" brand shirt or jeans or shoes just doesnt do anything for me. Dining at some exclusive restaurant so that I can be seen there and so I can say "I was there" - doesnt either, especially since I know I could have a BETTER experience at 1/4 the price (There out there, even in dallas, trust me.) I suspicion that living in a community where high culture is held as a defacto-requirement to acceptance may explain why this is important to some people. A place like Burbank or Hollywood comes to mind, and maybe some places in Texas even (without mentioning names). The fact that you dismiss the Houston Galleria as merely something in the league of Sharpstown says a lot about you. Maybe being noticed for the venues one shops is the thing for some people. But it doesnt mean crap to me: it's in the same league as drainage. Maybe it's my upbringing. Be that as it may, we all have our quirks. And mine is being able to hear the rich harmonics of the upper register of a piano. Being able to execute a trill at un-godly speeds. That does it for me. And now that I can, I am willing to spend the bucks to have that, because that does it for me without regard to what anyone else thinks about it. And so in the context of this thread, this is completely different from your attempts at educating and enlighting us simple Houstonians. I spend my money for personal reasons, not because it implies some level of social accomplishment.

Just curious as to the last time you were there, and actually walked the corridors of the shopping center?

:blink:

"walked the corridors of the shopping center"???

:lol:

Wow. Amazing. I mean, you are talking about a MALL here. "Walking the corridors" is kinda like applying wine tasting etiquite to poop, dont you think?

This thread suddenly has "Port of Dallas" level humor potential.

The new parking garage (or is it a renovation) at North Park is almost identical to the new/renovated garage at Memorial City. I wonder if the same architects are responsible for both renovations. Does Metro National own both properties?

The Great Hizzy!:

The new parking garage (or is it a renovation) at North Park is almost identical to the new/renovated garage at Memorial City. I wonder if the same architects are responsible for both renovations. Does Metro National own both properties?

The one in Dallas is supposed to be encrusted with gold. I mean, that's what I heard.

Red Bird Mall.

Yes. They have Targets AND Walmarts. Just like Houston does.

Ok guys.....Nobody is forcing Northpark down anybodys throat here. and besides I hardly if ever hear anybody debating the fact that Houstonians think their Galleria is the "Bestest" Mall in the whole wide world.And Yes....Northpark is unlike any other mall I've ever been to. and to be honest I think it is by far the best mall in Texas......with the Houston Galleria being second,in fact the only thing that makes the Houston Galleria a top runner is because of its Sheer size.in otherwords TO ME...the Houston Galleria is simply a huge huge huge regular mall with a neimans and a ceiling foutain. :rolleyes: I think Galleria Dallas is Classier than The Houston Galleria.Just look at the difference in the websites.Of course you could probably fit galleria Dallas inside of The Houston Galleria and The Houston Galleria may have more stores than ours, But at the same time I expect the Houston Galleria to be all those things because thats all that houston has to brag about,its their biggest and bestest, we(Dallas)on the other hand have way more options with classier experiences.........Take it how you want.....I's my oppinion.

And Don't get me wrong...I love the Houston Galleria and the Houston Galleria areaI think the Chrome Street signs and street markers are very tasteful but I think it will be awhile befor a mall in Texas Top Nprth park....Sorry guys!! ;)

we(Dallas)on the other hand have way more options with classier experiences.........Take it how you want.....I's my oppinion.

And Don't get me wrong...I love the Houston Galleria and the Houston Galleria areaI think the Chrome Street signs and street markers are very tasteful but I think it will be awhile befor a mall in Texas Top Nprth park....Sorry guys!! ;)

Hey everyone...Northpark has this cool restaurant called Chick-fil-A, that's what makes it really unique. :rolleyes:

Ok guys.....Nobody is forcing Northpark down anybodys throat here. and besides I hardly if ever hear anybody debating the fact that Houstonians think their Galleria is the "Bestest" Mall in the whole wide world.And Yes....Northpark is unlike any other mall I've ever been to. and to be honest I think it is by far the best mall in Texas......with the Houston Galleria being second,in fact the only thing that makes the Houston Galleria a top runner is because of its Sheer size.in otherwords TO ME...the Houston Galleria is simply a huge huge huge regular mall with a neimans and a ceiling foutain. :rolleyes: I think Galleria Dallas is Classier than The Houston Galleria.Just look at the difference in the websites.Of course you could probably fit galleria Dallas inside of The Houston Galleria and The Houston Galleria may have more stores than ours, But at the same time I expect the Houston Galleria to be all those things because thats all that houston has to brag about,its their biggest and bestest, we(Dallas)on the other hand have way more options with classier experiences.........Take it how you want.....I's my oppinion.

this is got to be the most city pride-based,, uneducated, biased, jack-off of an opinion i've ever heard. Galleria is all we have to brag about? Please? What does Dallas have that's so spectacular other than that mall in Frisco? Dallas's Galleria is nice but doesn't hold a candle to Houston's.

I'm not sure where Northpark mall is though, so i owe it a visit next time i'm in Dallas. I'm wondering if its the huge mall in Frisco. If that is the same mall, then yes, i have been there.

But anyway! Anyone know the name of that mall in Frisco? It's better than Dallas's Galleria! :lol:

I'm not sure where Northpark mall is though, so i owe it a visit next time i'm in Dallas. I'm wondering if its the huge mall in Frisco.

Northpark is a bit bigger than the huge mall in Frisco. Everyone has their favorite. I get the impression young kids like Stonebriar the most. Older folks tend to prefer Northpark. Some people prefer the Galleria and I've even heard some say their favorite is Willow Bend. I think Grapevine Mills will start becoming a bigger tourist attraction as more and more attractions like the Gaylord Texan pop up around it.

I on the other hand think the Dallas West Village, Southlake Town Center, Plano's Legacy Town Center, and Firewheel Town Center are better than any of the malls in most ways.

jason

Only one i remember is Stonebriar....

Northpark is the best shopping mall in Dallas ever case closed not only is it classy, its very convienent. The Houston Galleria just has an amazing selection and the part that stretches from Neimans to Saks is the older part and therefore is the poshest. The Galleria has really improved since its renovation, the Neimans is the nicest one Ive ever been to.The Dallas Galleria is ok, it just cant compete with Northpark anymore and for sure not the Galleria in Houston.

OMG! LOL!! It's like watching a spoof on Comedy Central.

now getting back to the topic:

It's NorthPark's big day

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...rk.d077d73.html

High-end mall becomes Texas' largest with unveiling of $225 million expansion

11:37 PM CDT on Thursday, May 4, 2006

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

NorthPark Center takes its place among the nation's exclusive malls Friday, unveiling a $225 million expansion that has been in the works for more than a decade.

The 41-year-old Dallas shopping center joins a handful of U.S. malls with anticipated annual sales of at least $1 billion. At 2.35 million square feet, it's now the largest mall in Texas and one of the five largest in the U.S., according to the International Council of Shopping Centers.

It's where new stores such as American Eagle Outfitters' Martin + Osa and J. Crew spinoffs Crewcuts and Madewell will open first. And it's a beachhead for the European invasion of hot specialty stores that include Intermix and Mango ? names known by the most clued-in of fashionistas.

With the 1.4-acre Center Park in the middle, NorthPark becomes the only mall in the nation with a sizeable outdoor area for eating, playing or relaxing.

"NorthPark's positioned itself nationally to be in the group of the best of the best luxury centers with South Coast Plaza in California and Bal Harbor in Miami," said Laura Pomerantz, principal of New York's prestigious PBS Realty Advisors, which negotiated leases for David Yurman, Ted Baker London and Stuart Weitzman at NorthPark. "It's a very hands-on and knowledgeable management."

Friday, NorthPark officially opens its fourth side, completing a square that forms the perimeter of an interior park. Many of the new stores, several restaurants and a movie theater will also officially open.

The addition of 1.1 million square feet has redefined the mall, which maintained its position as a favorite shopping destination even as the world around it changed.

NorthPark has been criticized over the years for having no theater, a limited number of eateries and a store mix with few choices for young people. More recently, it and other traditional malls have lost appeal as shoppers have veered toward hip lifestyle centers that offer easy access and an alfresco atmosphere.

Husband and wife owners David Haemisegger and Nancy Nasher have answered the criticisms ? down to street-side shopping. NorthPark is the nation's only mall with a sizable park ? 1.4 acres ? in its belly.

"We've got seating inside and out so people can eat in a grove of trees or let their children run and sit and snack before or after a movie," Ms. Nasher said. "We've known what categories we needed, and we've tried to select the best of the best in each case."

Mr. Haemisegger said that until now, the center wasn't large enough to accommodate the number of stores or the depth of store selection.

"Everyone in Dallas has a piece of the pie, and no one was making the quintessential retail statement," he said. "We always thought we could do it if we had the space."

From November ? when the initial Nordstrom wing opened ? through the end of this year ? when Barneys opens ? NorthPark will add 90 stores for a total of 235. Also new is the 15-screen AMC Theater.

Stores are clustered by interest and incomes so that shoppers with a purpose can get in and out fast. Designer brands, for example, will share a corridor with fashion leaders Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York and Nordstrom.

Entrances have been added for more direct access ? considered a lifestyle center advantage. This fall, with the completion of Barneys and Robb & Stucky, eight new entrances will be added to the mall's west side.

Youthful appearances

Making it a younger mall was a major goal. NorthPark now has the chains ? from Hollister and Delia's to Club Libby Lu and Build-A-Bear ? that have sent young people and families to suburban shopping centers.

"They run one of the most productive malls in the U.S. They wanted us, but there was no appropriate space," said Maxine Clark, chairman and chief executive of Build-A-Bear Workshop.

Now with "the broadened kids' mix and the food court, they're able to really expand its reach to more retail beyond high fashion," Ms. Clark said. "The Nashers put a huge amount of planning time, effort and money into making it an even more superior shopping venue. We like to say, 'It's pawsome.' "

The mall's marketing director, Christine Szalay, also scored a coup by snatching away the Kim Dawson Model Search competition from the Galleria.

The new NorthPark is also a date place, according to its owners.

The theaterand many of the mall's new food court tenants and other restaurants will stay open for late-night moviegoers.

Stores will have after-hours lighting for strolling window shoppers, and the valet parking doesn't close until one hour after the last movie is finished or the final call at a restaurant, "whichever is later," Ms. Nasher said.

"We'll almost be a 24/7 operation on the weekends, staying open until 2 a.m. and opening back up at 6 a.m. for the mall walkers," Mr. Haemisegger said.

Shoppers who got a sneak peek this week were enthusiastic about the changes.

"It's now the perfect mall," said Toni Brown, who drives up from Corsicana at least twice a month to shop at NorthPark and the Galleria. "I've traveled and seen many malls, but Dallas has the best options now with NorthPark, and the Galleria keeps getting better."

In the last two years, the Galleria's interior was remodeled, and it added the Grand Lux Caf

Archived