Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

I would love to go to Dallas, I have not been since I was much younger.

You are not missing anything terribly exiting.

Highland Park villiage is nice, but the parking is a PITA and there really are not that many stores. The Rice villiage is more interesting and larger. I know some people are big on open air shopping centers. Nice in San Diego, but in Texas, I am a big believer in the traditional American shopping mall.

IMO, the best store that Dallas has that Houston lacks is a Faconnable boutique (in the Northpark mall). Nordsrom carries much of their line, but not all!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know I don't want to come off as brash but this thread is becoming just a hair weird. I understand that some like fashion and that's ok, but let's not take this to seriously.

Good point, Gary.... The problem is, this thread may be titled "Houston vs. Dallas Shopping", but really it's just another opportunity to debate which city is better. "Shopping" is just a variable that could be replaced with anything and the debates and arguments would all be the same... You could title this thread "Houston vs. Dallas - cars, streets, parks, dumpsters, reporters, grocery stores, car lots... Hell, you could start a thread called "Houston vs. Dallas - which has hotter hookers" and it would still result in a debate that had nothing to do with hookers and everything to do with the egos in each city and those "egos" inability to admit that Dallas or Houston actually "one-ups" the other city in a specific area. We all know that Dallas out-does Houston on many points, and vice versa. These cities are in the same state... and that's pretty much where the comparisons end because the cities are nothing alike in reality.

For instance, let's say this thread was about which city had better looking hookers. Someone on the Houston side would argue that Dallas Hookers have more missing teeth. Then someone on the Dallas side would state that the Dallas Hookers got together and formed a union and a dental plan was included, therefore Dallas hookers actually have better teeth. Then someone in Houston would fire back saying that the hookers with good teeth aren't actually "Dallas Hookers" because their corner is technically in Grand Prairie or Mesquite and that doesn't count because it's outside the city limits of Dallas and just because a hooker lives in "DFW" it doesn't mean they're a real Dallas Hooker - they're just counted as a Dallas hooker because of that anti-Houston consipiracy that exist up there in Dallas-Fort Worth... And, Houston Hookers are better looking because they have more tasteful tattoos... Then Dallas would point out that the best tattoo parlors are in Deep Ellum, therefore, the Dallas Hookers are better decorated.

See my point? Just delete the "shopping" in the title of this thread and you'll have the real title of this thread.

Okay, Okay... some of the people here might actually care about shopping... but how many "my mall is bigger than your mall" debates can one forum really have?

Good point, Gary.... The problem is, this thread may be titled "Houston vs. Dallas Shopping", but really it's just another opportunity to debate which city is better. "Shopping" is just a variable that could be replaced with anything and the debates and arguments would all be the same... You could title this thread "Houston vs. Dallas - cars, streets, parks, dumpsters, reporters, grocery stores, car lots... Hell, you could start a thread called "Houston vs. Dallas - which has hotter hookers" and it would still result in a debate that had nothing to do with hookers and everything to do with the egos in each city and those "egos" inability to admit that Dallas or Houston actually "one-ups" the other city in a specific area. We all know that Dallas out-does Houston on many points, and vice versa. These cities are in the same state... and that's pretty much where the comparisons end because the cities are nothing alike in reality.

For instance, let's say this thread was about which city had better looking hookers. Someone on the Houston side would argue that Dallas Hookers have more missing teeth. Then someone on the Dallas side would state that the Dallas Hookers got together and formed a union and a dental plan was included, therefore Dallas hookers actually have better teeth. Then someone in Houston would fire back saying that the hookers with good teeth aren't actually "Dallas Hookers" because their corner is technically in Grand Prairie or Mesquite and that doesn't count because it's outside the city limits of Dallas and just because a hooker lives in "DFW" it doesn't mean they're a real Dallas Hooker - they're just counted as a Dallas hooker because of that anti-Houston consipiracy that exist up there in Dallas-Fort Worth... And, Houston Hookers are better looking because they have more tasteful tattoos... Then Dallas would point out that the best tattoo parlors are in Deep Ellum, therefore, the Dallas Hookers are better decorated.

See my point? Just delete the "shopping" in the title of this thread and you'll have the real title of this thread.

Okay, Okay... some of the people here might actually care about shopping... but how many "my mall is bigger than your mall" debates can one forum really have?

ok Willy1, i'd say its about time to leave the blunt smokin' alone!!! :blink:

I couldn't even afford the air in Belliago and Wynn Hotel! their shops were so expensive! (I felt like I was in a darkened Galleria)

I think the New York, New York hotel and Effiel Tower was meant to be fake and only for decorative purposes only. :)

Of course Las Vegas is full of tourists. Its a get rich/poor quick money making/losing make it/break it city.

I just talk to my friend in Frisco. We were talking and I mention to him that I recently joined this forum so he logs in and looks at most of the threads and tells me that Dallas is losing upscale retail and that it was true that it was because it was all spread out. He told me that Willow Bend just closed the countrys' first Armani Collezioni but was made into an Emporio Armani. He also told me Loro Piana closed in Williow Bend. Dallas exclusives are closing among those Calvin Klein is closing and not to mention PRADA and Christian Dior that closed in Highland Park Village awhile back..

I just talk to my friend in Frisco. We were talking and I mention to him that I recently joined this forum so he logs in and looks at most of the threads and tells me that Dallas is losing upscale retail and that it was true that it was because it was all spread out. He told me that Willow Bend just closed the countrys' first Armani Collezioni but was made into an Emporio Armani. He also told me Loro Piana closed in Williow Bend. Dallas exclusives are closing among those Calvin Klein is closing and not to mention PRADA and Christian Dior that closed in Highland Park Village awhile back..

And of course you loved to hear that!!! <_<

It's no suprise that shops are closing at Willowbend. That mall was a major mistake and has been having difficulty drawing people there since it opened. I went once out of curiosity last year, and on a beautiful springtime Saturday afternoon, the place was far from hopping. I'm no expert developer, but even I thought it was a bad idea to put this "upscale" mall smack between the Galleria and Stonebriar.

It's not a major loss for Dallas... they'll end up opening up more upscale shopping to replace the couple that have closed. It's not like those spaces are going to sit empty... With all the uptown towers going up, there will be plenty of new upscale shopping added to Dallas in the next couple of years and far beyond that.

But, I love the way some people in here would actually wish for Dallas to lose upscale shopping. What does that tell you about their mindset? Are they wanting to just see Dallas lose business, or are they wanting to see their city play catch up? Or both? In either case, they'd rather see a fellow Texas city hit hard times than see the state economy flourish. That spitefulness smells a lot like jealousy to me.

Dun Dun Dun!!!! Anyway wow that is pretty impressive they had a Armani Collection store an to be the first in the US even better kind of like Houston an DolceGabbana. Texas seems to get a lot of credit from designers just not everything works out

Dun Dun Dun!!!! Anyway wow that is pretty impressive they had a Armani Collection store an to be the first in the US even better kind of like Houston an DolceGabbana.  Texas seems to get a lot of credit from designers just not everything works out

Yes the credit is there for Texas, but do we get it? No! Alot of people who have never been to Texas still think we ride horses everywhere, then they become impressesd when they visit and recognize what we have and want to move here.

It's no suprise that shops are closing at Willowbend.  That mall was a major mistake and has been having difficulty  drawing people there since it opened.  I went once out of curiosity last year, and on a beautiful springtime Saturday afternoon, the place was  far from hopping.  I'm no expert developer, but even I thought it was a bad idea to put this "upscale" mall smack between the Galleria and Stonebriar.

I love The Shops At Willow Bend. I can go anytime and I am the only person in the place. It really is a wonderful mall. The architecture is very Frank Lloyd Wright and some of the stores are great. They just opened the place when the market was not strong enough to support some of the stores.

Dun Dun Dun!!!! Anyway wow that is pretty impressive they had a Armani Collection store an to be the first in the US even better kind of like Houston an DolceGabbana.  Texas seems to get a lot of credit from designers just not everything works out

The only major upscale store I can't think off that Houston has lost would be Dolce & Gabbana wich closed around 1995. I still remeber having

Barney's New York

3 Marshall Field's

3 Saks fifth Avenue

3 Lord & Taylor

2 Neiman Marcus

FAO Schwartz

But of course Barney's, Marshall Field's, and Lord & Taylor pulled out of Texas not just Houston. FAO Schwartz went broke and closed every single store, but just a few years ago opened New York's Flagship store and one in Las Vegas. But come to think about it those all opened in the 80's when Houston's economy was real strong. I'm not saying Houston's economy is bad right now, I'm saying it was kinda when Houston became to change from cow town to a more international and became what we are today.

I read in the Dallas Morning News a couple of weeks ago that there were rumors that Barney's New York was thinking of re-opening in Dallas at Northpark and that Bloomingdale's was thinking on opening in Dallas Galleria. It also said that both companies wouldn't comment on those rumors. I'm not trying to put down Dallas but I dought both will open in Dallas, I wish atleast one of those would take Macy's spot when its vacated that would really help Galleria 3........

The only major upscale store I can't think off that Houston has lost would be Dolce & Gabbana wich closed around 1995. I still remeber having

Barney's New York

3 Marshall Field's

3 Saks fifth Avenue

3 Lord & Taylor

2 Neiman Marcus

FAO Schwartz

But of course Barney's, Marshall Field's, and Lord & Taylor pulled out of Texas not just Houston. FAO Schwartz went broke and closed every single store, but just a few years ago opened New York's Flagship store and one in Las Vegas. But come to think about it those all opened in the 80's when Houston's economy was real strong. I'm not saying Houston's economy is bad right now, I'm saying it was kinda when Houston became to change from cow town to a more international and became what we are today.

I read in the Dallas Morning News a couple of weeks ago that there were rumors that Barney's New York was thinking of re-opening in Dallas at Northpark and that Bloomingdale's was thinking on opening in Dallas Galleria. It also said that both companies wouldn't  comment on those rumors. I'm not trying to put down Dallas but I dought both will open in Dallas, I wish atleast one of those would take Macy's spot when its vacated that would really help Galleria 3........

Barney's has been scouting out locations in Dallas for a new location. Northpark is the likey location. I also heard that Barney's Co-Op could be opening a location Dallas as well.

Barney's has been scouting out locations in Dallas for a new location. Northpark is the likey location. I also heard that Barney's Co-Op could be opening a location Dallas as well.

I heard that Barneys would open up in Dallas, and Barney's Co-op would open up in Houston. Barneys used to be located in both cities.

How many of you internet geeks actually frequent these "upscale" joints?

Upscale and glitz!  Can't live without it.

I'm not a geek but I'll anwser you're question, I like treating my self and my girlfriend to nice things and my friends and family do too. Were not shopaholics or notting like that but if you have the extra money to shop at one of those places do it. I'm not trying to show off but I work my ass off so I'm able to do what I want with my money. I'm not the kind of person that walk around a mall with an Yves Saint Laurent bag for socks, a Coach bag for a key chain, a Gucci bag for a belt, and a Tiffany's bag for a $150.00 ring if I like something I'll buy it it can be Ermenegildo Zegna it can be Armani it can be Old Navy it can be whatever if I like it I'll buy it. Not just for the brand but for how it looks on me .(my point is that I know a lot of "upscale shops" because I do shop there.)

In a way I would much rather have a Barney's Co-Op than a Barney's New York in Houston but either one would do just fine. If Dallas gets either one it wouldn't really matter to me but I dought they'll ever open back here in TX. I really think Bloomingdale's will open soon in Tx they have stores everywhere.

Barney's New York

3 Marshall Field's

3 Saks fifth Avenue

3 Lord & Taylor

2 Neiman Marcus

FAO Schwartz

I read in the Dallas Morning News a couple of weeks ago that there were rumors that Barney's New York was thinking of re-opening in Dallas at Northpark and that Bloomingdale's was thinking on opening in Dallas Galleria. It also said that both companies wouldn't  comment on those rumors. I'm not trying to put down Dallas but I dought both will open in Dallas, I wish atleast one of those would take Macy's spot when its vacated that would really help Galleria 3........

Where were all these Saks an Marshall Fields at?

What does all of this really mean? Like others have implied, most of us probably don't shop at these places anyway.

Houston has a lot of high end shops, mostly in the Galleria. Whereas Dallas probably has a few more, but they are spread out from downtown to west Plano. This difference is interesting, but does not really say much about either city.

The fact that both cities host a lot of high end boutiques only demonstrates more of the similarity between the two cities.

Where were all these Saks an Marshall Fields at?

Marshall Field's had four locations at The Galleria, West Oaks Mall, Memorial City Mall, and GREENSPOINT MALL. Saks Fifth Avenue was located at Pavillion on Post Oak, Town & Country Mall, and West Oaks Mall (and I belive they at one point had a store in Friendswood)

Cole Haan is opening a second store in Houston its gonna be located at (you guessted) The Galleria. The only thing is that its going to be for women only. I always thought the Cole Haan store in Highland Village was too small. Kona Grill is opening next year among other restaurants at the old Lord & Taylor spot. Custo Barcelona is opening next year too I don't know where but I'm guessing at the Galleria or somewhere in Uptown.

Houston Pavillion tendants will include

Lucky Brand

bebe

Forever 21

House of Blues

Virgin Megastore

BCBG

bebe Sport

Lucy

Laundry

Mexx

Among more....

I relly didn't think Downtown would ever see these stores specially the chi chi ones but then again downtown needs every retail chain it can get

Marshall Field's had four locations at The Galleria, West Oaks Mall, Memorial City Mall, and GREENSPOINT MALL. Saks Fifth Avenue was located at Pavillion on Post Oak, Town & Country Mall, and West Oaks Mall (and I belive they at one point had a store in Friendswood)

You have your Marshall Fields history confused. They were never at Greenspoint, Memorial City, or West Oaks. They WERE in Town & Country and, of course, The Galleria.

You have your Marshall Fields history confused.  They were never at Greenspoint, Memorial City, or West Oaks.  They WERE in Town & Country and, of course, The Galleria.

and they were in West Oaks and Greenspoint too. (Memorial City) I might have gotten it mixed up with Town & Country my mistake its been like 10 years since they left..... I know most people don't belive that Marshall Field's was at Greenspoint but I still remember picking up family from Bush Int' and going to Greenspoint and shopping at Marshall Field's, keep in mind that when Greenspoint opened and was a very nice mall, I haven't been there since I was like 12......

and they were in West Oaks and Greenspoint too. (Memorial City) I might have gotten it mixed up with Town & Country my mistake its been like 10 years since they left..... I know most people don't belive that Marshall Field's was at Greenspoint but I still remember picking up family from Bush Int' and going to Greenspoint and shopping at Marshall Field's, keep in mind that when Greenspoint opened and was a very nice mall, I haven't been there since I was like 12......

I'm pretty certain your memory is faulty. You might be thinking of Lord & Taylor, I don't know for sure about that. Here's a clip from a history of Marshall Field's, which discusses all of the stores they ever had in Texas:

Expansion to 1990/Corporate History

The 1980's was a slower growth period for Chicago area stores with locations added at just Spring Hill Mall in West Dundee and Stratford Square in Bloomington. But the 1980's did see further expansion into Texas with stores opened at The Galleria in Houston (actually opened in 1979), the Dallas Galleria in 1982, Town & Country Mall in Houston in 1983, and North Star Mall in San Antonio in 1986 . . . The 4 Texas stores were sold in 1997 and the the Columbus, Ohio stores in 2003.

Archived