Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's funny is that Houston was never even supposed to have an Ikea. We had Stor, which was bought by Ikea.

Ikea thought about closing the Houston store, but it took off much better than Stor (remember the terrible Stor radio commericals?).

Now look at them. 3 stores in Tejas.

That article was interesting but it makes Houston seem intimadated by its lil sister like we live in some oil swamp infested ____hole. I think Houston has worldclass shopping especially moving back from Iowa :unsure: But I do like the competition keeps both cities up on its toes an now San Antonio is coming up in the retail world bigtime. An there is no Prada store in Dallas what the hell is the chronicle talking about.

I suppose you have to think that overpriced clothing and accessories are important to have gained the impression that Houston was intimidated. Myself, I just thought it was an attempt by the Chronicle to appear chic...also apparent with blogs like this... http://blogs.chron.com/shopgirl/

Personally, I couldn't care less. Neither could most of the people I know. But, ShopGirl clearly cares. Good for her. <_<

That article was interesting but it makes Houston seem intimadated by its lil sister like we live in some oil swamp infested ____hole.  I think Houston has worldclass shopping especially moving back from Iowa :unsure:    But I do like the competition keeps both cities up on its toes an now San Antonio is coming up in the retail world bigtime.  An there is no Prada store in Dallas what the hell is the chronicle talking about.

The Prada store is at Highland Park Village at the corner of Preston and Mockingbird. True it is not in Dallas, but is in Highland Park which is surrounded by Dallas.

The Prada store is at Highland Park Village at the corner of Preston and Mockingbird.  True it is not in Dallas, but is in Highland Park which is surrounded by Dallas.

I think this might be an urban myth ;-) If there is truly a Prada store in Highland Park Village, someone should tell the management of Highland Park Village. They don't seem to be aware of it (at least it doesn't show up on their website.)

I think this might be an urban myth  ;-)  If there is truly a Prada store in Highland Park Village, someone should tell the management of Highland Park Village.  They don't seem to be aware of it (at least it doesn't show up on their website.)

There used to be a Prada store next to Calvin Klein, but it closed. I think they plan to open up in the new part of Northpark. It was a very cool store. Very minimalist.

Technically, this in not even Dallas. Plano, McKinney and Allen are like Katy, Conroe and Sugarland. Most of the fault lies in the collapse of the telecom industry in North Texas. Also, the new financing that consumers are seeing on mortgage loans contribute to this. 100% with no money down, interest only and an ARM. This is something that people all over the country are going to see. Great loans, great rates, but when the ARM period is up, they are going to get a shock because of higher rates.

Technically, this in not even Dallas. Plano, McKinney and Allen are like Katy, Conroe and Sugarland. Most of the fault lies in the collapse of the telecom industry in North Texas. Also, the new financing that consumers are seeing on mortgage loans contribute to this. 100% with no money down, interest only and an ARM. This is something that people all over the country are going to see. Great loans,  great rates, but when the ARM period is up, they are going to get a shock because of higher rates.

Technically, not Dallas?

I call bull____. You get the good with the bad, buddy. Houston doesn't get to claim Sugarland and Woodlands when it's convenient and ignore them when when it's not, and Dallas doesn't either. In fact, many believe that Plano and Collin County represent Dallas more than the City of Dallas does.

Technically, not Dallas?

I call bull____.  You get the good with the bad, buddy.  Houston doesn't get to claim Sugarland and Woodlands when it's convenient and ignore them when when it's not, and Dallas doesn't either.  In fact, many believe that Plano and Collin County represent Dallas more than the City of Dallas does.

Some people may, but most people I know really could care less with Plano city council affairs. You say that Plano is more representative of Dallas, but no way. I could see where an outsider might believe that or have that perception. But I certainly do not and would imagine countless others would agree.

In order to claim Plano, one would also have to claim Wilmer or Lancaster or Mesquite. I think the CoD would prefer to have its own character, understanding that the Planos, Friscos and Mesquites of the world are nearby and have their influences but also that, at the end of the day, what goes on in Dallas, stays in Dallas.

:)

I would more say there is an attitude in the northern Dallas 'burbs that is a bit similar to the areas north of DT Dallas proper just as there is an attitude in the southern Dallas 'burbs that is a bit similar to the areas south of DT Dallas proper. Association brings on assimilation, and as humans tend to reflect their neighbors so do cities. So snobbery isn't 100% Dallas just as thuggery isn't either (and I apologize for seemingly associating southern Dallas with thuggery but I used the context to make a point about perceptions).

With all due respect, I dont think Houston claims Sugarland or The Woodlands.  Those places are not Houston.  At least not yet!

What has always baffled me is how Dallas claims Fort Worth to the rest of the world, but when talking within the metroplex family, Dallas then does not claim Fort Worth?  Hypocracy?

That is pretty much my point. People will claim the entire metro area when it is convenient to do so, such as claiming how big they are, etc. But, when those same areas are inconvenient, such as sprawl, uppity suburbs, etc, suddenly they revert to city or county limits.

That is pretty much my point.  People will claim the entire metro area when it is convenient to do so, such as claiming how big they are, etc.  But, when those same areas are inconvenient, such as sprawl, uppity suburbs, etc, suddenly they revert to city or county limits.

I see your point on this. I really have not lived in Dallas too long, but to me, Forth Worth is its own city. Same is the case for Plano, Arlington, Fricso, Mesquite and all the other cities that are in the surrounding area. Living in Dallas I constantly see news reports of how the cities don't work together. To me, this is something that seems so absurd. Work together for growth and progress. Don't work together and stymie the system. Recently however, they have formed an organization called the North Texas Area Conference of Mayors (I think this name is correct) to sell all the cities and work together. We will see.

And...........So  what........what if they do? Are they Breaking a law?  Get over it!!!

They are our suburbs so let us do what we want with them :P

Because in essence you are dismissing the uniqueness and separate identities of all the cities in the metroplex. This is especially true of Fort Worth, which by all accounts, is far enough away from Dallas - and far away in culture - to be well beyond the idea of it being a suburb of Dallas. Fort Worth has its own municipal gravitational pull and the whole idea of it being lumped into Dallas without its consent just strikes of arrogance.

Either way, it's actually all simple: If you are in the city limits than you are in that city. Otherwise you are not and stop claiming you are because then that would be bull____. And nobody likes bull____.

I'm from Irving, but I always tell people that I'm from Dallas.. does it matter.. hell no! I have friends in Cypress, Katy, and Sugarland and they also say they're from Houston. It isn't until one gets deeper into a conversation that one finds out where people are really from. I guess it's a bit different here in the Dallas metro because there are so many suburbs and people really don't care so we just say Dallas. I mean like who the fuk up in Chicago would know where Irving is? lol just my 2 cents

I'm from Irving, but I always tell people that I'm from Dallas.. does it matter.. hell no!  I have friends in Cypress, Katy, and Sugarland and they also say they're from Houston.  It isn't until one gets deeper into a conversation that one finds out where people are really from.  I guess it's a bit different here in the Dallas metro because there are so many suburbs and people really don't care so we just say Dallas.  I mean like who the fuk up in Chicago would know where Irving is? lol just my 2 cents

I agree with you on this. I have friends from all over Dallas that grew up in Houston. We always say Houston, even though we are from The Woodlands, Sugurland and Kingwood. It is just easier to say Houston sometimes. Once you get deeper into conversation, then it comes out.

Either way, it's actually all simple:  If you are in the city limits than you are in that city.  Otherwise you are not and stop claiming you are because then that would be bull____.  And nobody likes bull____.

Ok Yadda Yadda Yadda........If I took a trip tomorrow to the woodlands and then back to Dallas...Yes...I would say I went to Houston.Come on guys we've been through this a million times.They are included with dallas because of commute patterns.

Archived