Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

I just have this question since I want to get into retail professionally ...Why is it that Dallas seems to have more upscale shopping centers, Northpark,Highland Park, Galleria, and Willowbend in Plano all of them tote highend designer labels at these centers.

Houston has the Galleria it seems to just have the monopoly powerhouse of luxe in Houston. Highland Village,Rice Village,Uptown Park all are nice an have boutiques but nonsport major designer labels at their centers.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be vain or shallow. Lets keep this clean an dignified I want legit answers/response since Ive seen what happened in the "Is Dallas newer than Houston" thread I hope this goes well

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just have this question since I want to get  into retail professionally ...Why is it that Dallas seems to have more upscale shopping centers, Northpark,Highland Park, Galleria, and Willowbend in Plano all of them tote highend designer labels at these centers.

Houston has the Galleria it seems to just have the monopoly powerhouse of luxe in Houston.  Highland Village,Rice Village,Uptown Park all are nice an have boutiques but nonsport major designer labels at their centers.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be vain or shallow.  Lets keep this clean an dignified I want legit answers/response since Ive seen what happened in the "Is Dallas newer than Houston" thread I hope this goes well

that's a hard one to answer. I don't guess there is one right answer to this. maybe it has to do with Hines early start at luxury shopping in Houston and establishing the benchmark no others could follow. it seems like T&C might have been a designer store emporium but had bad management and no direction. Hines tried to repeat it's success with the Dallas Galleria but apparantly the location of NorthPark was just to good to beat. Galleria Dallas has a great location, but it's not smack in the middle of the best demographics in the Dallas area for high end shopping like NP. so that's caused a disparigment between the high end stores. from what I've read HP Village was just a neighborhood shopping center till the early 80s when it was repositioned as a high end center. this created yet another luxury center. and as for Willow Bend, the market was just chasing the money towards the suburbs. luckily for Houston it's large and sprawling enough to envelop it's most affluent areas within it's boundries. and from what I know Neiman Marcus contacted Taubman (Willow Bend's developer) so that they could provide a mall to anchor within that demographic (West Plano). NM chose to sit right in the middle of the demographic than go into the Galleria and be at it's fringes. basically the Dallas Galleria borders Dallas' affluent areas and Collin County's affluent areas as opposed to being right in the middle like Houston's.

up till the point the Houston Galleria was renovated I would have said that Dallas was ahead of the upscale retail scene by a hair. now I think it's even with the management brought in by Simon. they have been able to attract some pretty major names in the last few years that Dallas does not have yet. but NP's expansion in Dallas might just do the same. Galleria Dallas' renovation has brought a boon of new names also. basically you should be comparing NP to the Houston Galleria. Galleria Dallas while still being a top drawer mall will have to play second fiddle in the Dallas arena. I guess I 'll stop rambling about this whole thing and point out some store that each city has or doesn't have. either way, both place are great for designer shopping.

Houston Texas exclusives- Bvlgari, Giorgio Armani, David Yurman, YSL, Fendi, Carolina Herrera, Bally, Feragamo

Dallas Texas exclusives- Faconable, Calvin Klein, Escada (2), Calypso, Anne Fontaine, Porthault, Robert Talbot, Custo Barcelona, Via Spiga, Celine, Hugo Boss,

Tod's (soon) Loro Piano

Those Bastards are getting a Tod's damn them errrr(Shaking fist) lmao just kidding well I guess we got one up with an exclusive on Dior an I guess Plano stole the D&G we lost(but Houston had it first in the nation) but its all good cause we got some bomb ass shopping in Texas! :-)

Anyone else embelish on this thanks for the response laguy

I just have this question since I want to get  into retail professionally ...Why is it that Dallas seems to have more upscale shopping centers, Northpark,Highland Park, Galleria, and Willowbend in Plano all of them tote highend designer labels at these centers.

Dallas has more shopping because more people live the trading area:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...hl=trading+area

the size of the Dallas Regional Trading Area, and the inability of outlaying submarkets to compete. As the Metroplex population nears 9 million by 2020, the population within the Dallas Regional Trading Area is expected to double from 12 to 24 million by 2020. Roughly, the Dallas Regional Trading Area geographically extends to and includes the submarkets: Shreveport, Tulsa, OKC, Amarillo, Midland-Odessa, El Paso, Killeen Temple and everything in between BUT NOT Bryan College Station, Lufkin and Beaumont. Half of Texas and most of Oklahoma travel to Dallas to shop for what they cannot get at home. This has resulted in no less than 30% more retail activity in the Metroplex than any other metro area for a thousand miles. Not matched in Atlanta or Houston, only exceeded by Chicago, the influence of the Dallas market place is expanding beyond a regional level and will become more similarly scaled to the Chicago market place. Dallas is the first place most high profile, visible products and/or services providers will consider as time goes on.

I would not expect any retail opportunity to exist in Dallas which does not also exist in Houston, but probably, there will be more of it in Dallas.

I would not expect any retail opportunity to exist in Dallas which does not also exist in Houston, but probably, there will be more of it in Dallas.

Two cities, 240 miles apart, both with 5.5 to 6 million residents in the metro area. Of course, they will be virtually equal, just as tamtagon said. If one has it and the other doesn't, it is only because the company hasn't gotten to the other city yet. There isn't a company worth having that cannot be adequately served by a population this size.

Don't forget that Houston's "high end" retail sector may be booming soon, with the addition of several new developments that seem to harbor such retail, including the new Memorial City Mall project, the T&C project, Boulevard Place, etc. All of these development are located in relatively wealthy market areas (Galleria, Memorial, etc.), so thus, we should expect some pretty exclusive/high end stuff.

I know this is not about highend shopping, but one of the places I've discovered over the last few years is the Harwin strip.

They have everything from picture frames to leather jackets to sunglasses to suitcases, and the prices are insane (cheap) for most of this stuff. I don't hear alot of talk about this area and to me, it's a treasure trove of great bargains.

Does Dallas have anything like this?

Don't forget that Houston's "high end" retail sector may be booming soon, with the addition of several new developments that seem to harbor such retail, including the new Memorial City Mall project, the T&C project, Boulevard Place, etc.  All of these development are located in relatively wealthy market areas (Galleria, Memorial, etc.), so thus, we should expect some pretty exclusive/high end stuff.

What is Blvd Place?? do they have a website.

I could understand OKC in Dallas trading area but I had no idea all those cities were in there's Ive heard a lot of wealthy Mexicans an Latins travel to shop in Houston that is one of the reasons Herrera chose Houston so I guess that would be Houston trade area or is there others?

I think it depends on what you're shopping for also, as to which city better serves you with selection. For an average joe like myself, I haven't found myself upset over a certain store not being here vs Dallas.

I'd have to say, even if I were rich, I don't know if I'd shop at any of those stores on the 2nd level of Galleria 1.

Dallas has an area that is like Harwin, it is located on Harry Hines blvd. It is not as large as Harwin. Dallas and Houston are the luxury markets of Texas. Both cities have great shopping. Dallas just seems to be scattered with its shopping. Houston really has a central area focused around the Galleria and around Westheimer and Kirby. Both cities tout unique posh boutiqes. Highland Village in Houston has famous stores such as Tootsies, Billy Reid which is also located in the Northpark Center in Dallas, and Donald J. Pliner which is the only store located in Texas.

Shopping is a sport in both cities, The recent article in W about the super rich in Houston is really good PR for the city as far as future designer store openings in the city. Dallas has the most Neimans and Houston has the largest. Wolfe's new center on post oak will have some new stores in it. I live in northeast Texas and when I want to go spend money, I will go to Houston just because I enjoy shopping there. When I need something quick or a friend needs to go get something we will go to Dallas to either Highland Park Village or Northpark. Northpark is doing a major expansion and it will again be the queen of dallas shopping. The Galleria in Houston just has an exciting energy about, no other mall in Texas has that many luxury stores located in one location.

Houston has an Ann Fontaine as well as a mini flagship Dior.

Designers are now realizing the buying power of Texas, and you can see that by all the openings of stores especially in the Galleria.

Having grown up in Houston and currently residing in Dallas, I would have to say Dallas has a better selection of stores. My sister owns a store in Houston, but always comes to Dallas for items and looks. For some reason Dallas tends to be a little ahead. I personally think Austin has just as many good stores, you just have to find them. Also, Dallas has a better selection of home furnishings stores. A lot of this can be contributed to the fact that Dallas has the huge market center and Design District. They have market a few times a year that draw buyers and decorators from all over the country. Most Houston designers either travel to Dallas or LA for the best items. Just depends on how much your client is looking to spend.

http://www.decorativecenter.com/

http://www.dallasmarketcenter.com/dmc/cust...lashEnabled.cvn

I'm not trying to stir things up, but I just found this Dallas VS Houston crap going on on the Astros forum as well.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp...g=34645.1&ctx=0

I love the one guy that said, "we are far from hicks, especially if you live in the Woodlands, Spring, etc."

When I lived in the Woodlands and Spring, THAT'S WHERE ALL THE HICKS WERE! :lol:

Of course, we call 'em rednecks or my personal favorite, ____kickers, right, pineda?

Touching on something said above, I've felt like the Dallas retail market is more for the professional (meaning someone who is in the retail industry - and not merely someone with a masters), and Houston is more for the consumer (meaning those who are fashionable - but not in the industry).

Thoughts?

IMO, Houston's Galleria is the 1st and the BEST! Aside from that, I think the two cities are about on par with one another, except that Dallas seems to have more malls with "upscale" retail. I guess that fits in with Dallas' more pretentious-type shoppers.

The Dallas Business Journal just stated today that the Calvin Klein collection store in Highland Park Village will be closing. The Neimans in Houston with the red escalaters, the new gift galleries, and the huge grand entry is my fav Neimans by far. I also enjoy the mens collection at the Louis Vuitton store. I can see the Memorial area becoming much more posh and have a greater selection as far as retail stores are concerned. It is great that most everything is located in The Galleria and the new development at Boulvard Place. Hermes which is located in the old pavillion stated that they will be apart of the new Wolfe development.

Houston has more of the famous jet-setting socialites such as Lynn Wyatt,Becca Cason Thrash, and Courtney Lanier Sarofim. Dallas also has some not quite as famous ones such as Angie Barrett who quite a while back once stold more than 500,000 dollars worth of clothes from neimans over 5 months and sold them in numerous garage sales in Highland Park. The wealthy consumer in Texas,especially Houston doesnt borrow or rent, they buy the clothes and jewels they want. Money loves to flaunt itself especially in Houston.

Also look how far apart Houston and Dallas are apart from each other, only four or 3 and half hours. That alone tells you how well these retail markets perform.

For some reason Dallas tends to be a little ahead. I personally think Austin has just as many good stores, you just have to find them. Also, Dallas has a better selection of home furnishings stores. A lot of this can be contributed to the fact that Dallas has the huge market center and Design District. They have market a few times a year that draw buyers and decorators from all over the country. Most Houston designers either travel to Dallas or LA for the best items. Just depends on how much your client is looking to spend.

http://www.decorativecenter.com/

http://www.dallasmarketcenter.com/dmc/cust...lashEnabled.cvn

This assesment just doesnt smell right. Further, am I hearing you correctly that Austin has just as many store as Dallas, which, you say, has more than Houston? So Austin is ahead of Houston in the "high end" market?

Wow.

upscale-1.jpg

The upscale clothier Salvatore Ferragamo opened in Houston, at the Galleria, before Dallas. Carolina Herrera did the same.

upscale-4.jpg

W magazine turned its attention to Houston's affluent in its August issue.

upscale-2.jpg

Luca Luca began offering its styles to Houston women at the Galleria store in 2003.

upscale-3.jpg

The Bulgari store in the Galleria is in the vanguard of luxury retail in Houston.

Hey, Dallas: Look who's upscale now

Houston is coming into its own as a center for style and fashion

By DAVID KAPLAN

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

If 25 years ago, you picked up a national magazine and looked at ads for luxury retailers, chances are they'd be touting stores in cities like London, Paris, New York, San Francisco and Dallas.

Dallas

Reading this article, I would've sworn I was reading this HAIF thread. Every single point made in the article has been hashed and rehashed here.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3308972

Interesting, that all of the opinions here were pulled out of our a**, while the article actually found people in the industry to say the same thing.

EDIT: Sorry, Montrose. Didn't see you beat me to the punch. :D

Interesting, that all of the opinions here were pulled out of our a**, while the article actually found people in the industry to say the same thing.

It's my opinion that the fashion industry in Dallas will be among the most voluminous contributors to Metroplex economic expansion during the next decade.

Archived